Irvine demographic & impact on kids

SoCal said:
Panda said:
My street and adjacent has literally changed from white kids playing out, riding their bikes, making forts, playing tag, playing football (five years later) immigrant Asian neighbors who never come outside and  kids attending Kumon classes and private tutoring after school.... Please pinch me now and tell me that this is just a dream.

My kids are 100% white. They never play outside. :( It's the digital age. They're busy teaching themselves Java and making photo-realistic images on Blender. My oldest son recently got invited by a group of 40-something year old men to design the 3D models for a computer game they're making. Before that it was Minecraft. I told them it's ok to go outside, dig in the dirt, and catch snails and tadpoles, play basketball, whatver. But they said, "This isn't the olden days anymore." I have the sads. Playing outside was so much fun when I was a kid. They're missing out. I took them out all the time when they were little but now they want no part of it.  :'( Did the asian rub off on my kids, Panda? I'm raising eggs?

No joking but seriously... your kids might have been out playing more if they had white kid friends in the neighborhood?  I mean may be there was no kids at their ages playing outside so they became more attached to digital stuff.  I understand now that kids live with E gadgets all the time but a lot of time when I see bunch of kids playing street hockey, skateboarding, or riding bike (jr hr or younger folks) on the streets, they are mostly non-Asian kids, especially in old neighborhoods like college park, northwood, woodbridge...  (yes, even those play outside are also probably addicted to games and internet when inside...)

irvineorbust said:
SoCal said:
Panda said:
My street and adjacent has literally changed from white kids playing out, riding their bikes, making forts, playing tag, playing football (five years later) immigrant Asian neighbors who never come outside and  kids attending Kumon classes and private tutoring after school.... Please pinch me now and tell me that this is just a dream.

My kids are 100% white. They never play outside. :( It's the digital age. They're busy teaching themselves Java and making photo-realistic images on Blender. My oldest son recently got invited by a group of 40-something year old men to design the 3D models for a computer game they're making. Before that it was Minecraft. I told them it's ok to go outside, dig in the dirt, and catch snails and tadpoles, play basketball, whatver. But they said, "This isn't the olden days anymore." I have the sads. Playing outside was so much fun when I was a kid. They're missing out. I took them out all the time when they were little but now they want no part of it.  :'( Did the asian rub off on my kids, Panda? I'm raising eggs?

No joking but seriously... your kids might have been out playing more if they had white kid friends in the neighborhood?  I mean may be there was no kids at their ages playing outside so they became more attached to digital stuff.  I understand now that kids live with E gadgets all the time but a lot of time when I see bunch of kids playing street hockey, skateboarding, or riding bike (jr hr or younger folks) on the streets, they are mostly non-Asian kids, especially in old neighborhoods like college park, northwood, woodbridge...  (yes, even those play outside are also probably addicted to games and internet when inside...)

I live in a pretty Asian heavy area and there are multiple kids playing out in the afternoons...parks are usually busy on the weekends and in the summers. 

I am a first-generation Asian immigrant and I played outside all the time as a child. 

Playing outside is not a racial thing.

What if it really has nothing to do with race?  When most of us grew up, moms stayed at home. Demographics have changed dramatically and I would think even more extreme in Irvine, with home prices where they are, most families are dual income, so I wonder if less kids playing outside really just has to do with more kids being at daycare / after school facilities because the parents aren't home (thus you don't see near the kids playing outside)? 

Bullsback said:
What if it really has nothing to do with race?  When most of us grew up, moms stayed at home. Demographics have changed dramatically and I would think even more extreme in Irvine, with home prices where they are, most families are dual income, so I wonder if less kids playing outside really just has to do with more kids being at daycare / after school facilities because the parents aren't home (thus you don't see near the kids playing outside)?

It has nothing to do with race, income and necessity are the two factors IMO.  I used to walk to school as a kid by myself because my parents were working.  Just about every kid at Stonegate gets dropped off or accompanied by an adult on the way to school.  This is because people who live in Irvine/Stonegate have the time and flexibility to do that.

Also, a lot of the kids in Irvine participate in organized programs after school.  Half of my daughter's classmates get picked up right after school and then they go to piano, gymnastic, art class, martial arts, etc.

IrvineRes88 said:
In corporate America,  managers are whites and the Asians are the worker bees because of how Asian kids are brought up in suburban cities like Irvine.

I suggest you go look up who the CEOs of Google, Microsoft and PepsiCo are.  Are they white?

paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:
In corporate America,  managers are whites and the Asians are the worker bees because of how Asian kids are brought up in suburban cities like Irvine.

I suggest you go look up who the CEOs of Google, Microsoft and PepsiCo are.  Are they white?

yeah but she meant Asian as in East Asian. not Indians. heh.

anyways your sample size isn't exactly fit too.

if I have any takeaway from this thread, its that I'm going to try and steer my kid the right way, and at the end hope her merits will win her whatever opportunities she may have earned.

Irvinecommuter said:
Also, a lot of the kids in Irvine participate in organized programs after school.  Half of my daughter's classmates get picked up right after school and then they go to piano, gymnastic, art class, martial arts, etc.
You forgot to list Kumon. :)

capboba said:
paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:

if I have any takeaway from this thread, its that I'm going to try and steer my kid the right way, and at the end hope her merits will win her whatever opportunities she may have earned.

For the sake of this thread, East Asian and Indian should be grouped together.  The OP is complaining of the lack of Caucasians in the schools.  I suspect he/she would also complain if the school was majority Indian (instead of East Asian). 

I agree my examples are a very small sample size, but I just picked two of the largest (and respected) companies in the world, as well as one of the largest beverage companies in the world. 

Sorry to go slightly off tangent, but this is an interesting article about why Asians (including Indians) are too ambitious to be come CEOs. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/17/

capboba said:
paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:

Is OP a woman?  God, why are the women on this forum such hot messes!

bones said:

You forgot to preface your statement by declaring that you are a woman, therefore it is OK to troll other women...  >:D

gasman said:
bones said:

You forgot to preface your statement by declaring that you are a woman, therefore it is OK to troll other women...  >:D

One of the few benefits as an Asian is that I get to make fun of other Asians guilt-free!

Irvinecommuter said:
gasman said:
bones said:

One of the few benefits as an Asian is that I get to make fun of other Asians guilt-free!
Yeah? Well how well are you at metabolizing ethanol and lactose?

Irvinecommuter said:

My skin color (and gender) changes depending on who I'm trying to flame at any given moment.

Happiness said:
Irvinecommuter said:
gasman said:
bones said:

Yeah? Well how well are you at metabolizing ethanol and lactose?

I don't drink and totally lactose tolerant (although I prefer soy milk)

bones said:
capboba said:
paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:

I don't know of any women on this forum who are "hot messes." I hope this is some kind of inside joke I just don't get.

traceimage said:
I don't know of any women on this forum who are "hot messes." I hope this is some kind of inside joke I just don't get.

Aren't all women inherently hot messes?  And I'm saying that as a woman...

bones said:
capboba said:
paydawg said:
IrvineRes88 said:

As a female I have to agree that my gender "in general" can be "difficult" at times. I'm trying to be politically correct but Bones is right. They can be emotionally charged and often they work better with a male counterpart over a group of other women. As I write this it takes me back to my female dominated OBGYN rotation in medical school - talk about some hot mess drama! We own a business where almost all of our employees are female and I just let my husband and management handle the "employee issues" because it's just too much drama all of the time.

gasman said:
bones said:

True, it's much more effective and acceptable when generalizing than, "some of my best friends are women."

Back