Irvine demographic & impact on kids

While my son's school is mostly Asian (which really doesn't bother me) but his little league team is half asian, half others.
You can always introduce other opportunties for your child to be in a diversified environment.

And while my son's school is mostly Asian, they are a mix of Chinese, Korean, Indian, Japanese... all with very different cultures and values. I think to just group them as "Asians" and just assume they are all the same is incorrect and misleading on our kids. Even in a school of all "Asians" my son is able to learn how to respect other cultures and their differences and look beyond just a color of their skin.

tata said:
While my son's school is mostly Asian (which really doesn't bother me) but his little league team is half asian, half others.
You can always introduce other opportunties for your child to be in a diversified environment.

And while my son's school is mostly Asian, they are a mix of Chinese, Korean, Indian, Japanese... all with very different cultures and values. I think to just group them as "Asians" and just assume they are all the same is incorrect and misleading on our kids. Even in a school of all "Asians" my son is able to learn how to respect other cultures and their differences and look beyond just a color of their skin.

The political doctrine of this country is to lump folks from certain regions into generic racial groupings, such as "Asian American", "Hispanic American", "African American", "Native American", etc.  Someone from S. Korea with little in common with another from India, are put into the same group like veggies in a salad bowl.

Instead of "meting pot", think "salad bowl" with lettuce, tomato, bacon, etc.  The kid from South Korea and another from India are both lumped into "tomato".

When I was in Malaysia I used the term "Chinese Malaysian" & "Indian Malaysian" and the locals looked at me funny.  You're either Malay or Chinese or Indian.  I had to think about it and explain it in terms of America's version of bumiputera policy, but with fewer financial benefits.  Actually not a good way to explain it, but couldn't think of better examples at the time.

Would it be okay if someone complained that the different sports leagues in Irvine are too non-Asian?

I remember when my kids were in soccer I felt so at home with all the caucasians.

irvinehomeowner said:
Would it be okay if someone complained that the different sports leagues in Irvine are too non-Asian?

I remember when my kids were in soccer I felt so at home with all the caucasians.

I noticed that too. Why is that? Do Asians not play sports? I remember posting a question on where my son can join a basketball league, very little response from TI members. Now that I have found NJB, notice not a lot of Asians for an area that is predominantly Asian.

Irvine Fanatic said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I noticed that too. Why is that? Do Asians not play sports? I remember posting a question on where my son can join a basketball league, very little response from TI members. Now that I have found NJB, notice not a lot of Asians for an area that is predominantly Asian.
I think SoCal Elite has more Asians (they use the SCCCA/Irvine Chinese School for their weekly training).

The stereotypical answer is they are either taking music lessons or Kumon.

Irvine Fanatic said:
irvinehomeowner said:

if there's an unofficial basketball league for 35-45 year olds...let me know!

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine Fanatic said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I think SoCal Elite has more Asians (they use the SCCCA/Irvine Chinese School for their weekly training).

The stereotypical answer is they are either taking music lessons or Kumon.
Because they're matheletes
They're not Bsians, they're Asians

Bud a bum,..
(I'll stick to my day job)

My son's travel ball baseball team only has one Asian player.  The team is based in Irvine but only 3 are from city of Irvine though.

My other kid told me that many Asian kids in high school quit sport to study for SAT or boost GPA for college in jr and sr years.  Also I've seen Asian parents forcing kids to quit sports.

It has to do with physical size and strength.  Also there are a lot more white and black kids with parents who played sports in their youth and even high school and college level than most immigrant Asian-American parents.  What you get through gene and learn from watching your parents do are two biggest factors in kids' developing interest in sports (same goes to most of other occupations). 

The prime examples are Steph Curry, Caly Thompson, and Kobe Bryant, all are among the greatest NBA players with fathers who were pretty dam good pro players themselves...  May be in 25 to 30 years, Jeremy Lin or Yao Ming's sons could make it to NBA...

My point is, even though we see more Asian kids getting involved in sports and getting better physically, they just can't complete with bigger, stronger, and taller counter parts (just yet).  Asian parents put more emphasis on academics than sports, which is nothing wrong, but the dog that you feed more will get grow stronger...

irvineorbust said:
My son's travel ball baseball team only has one Asian player.  The team is based in Irvine but only 3 are from city of Irvine though.

My other kid told me that many Asian kids in high school quit sport to study for SAT or boost GPA for college in jr and sr years.  Also I've seen Asian parents forcing kids to quit sports.

It has to do with physical size and strength.  Also there are a lot more white and black kids with parents who played sports in their youth and even high school and college level than most immigrant Asian-American parents.  What you get through gene and learn from watching your parents do are two biggest factors in kids' developing interest in sports (same goes to most of other occupations). 

The prime examples are Steph Curry, Caly Thompson, and Kobe Bryant, all are among the greatest NBA players with fathers who were pretty dam good pro players themselves...  May be in 25 to 30 years, Jeremy Lin or Yao Ming's sons could make it to NBA...

My point is, even though we see more Asian kids getting involved in sports and getting better physically, they just can't complete with bigger, stronger, and taller counter parts (just yet).  Asian parents put more emphasis on academics than sports, which is nothing wrong, but the dog that you feed more will get grow stronger...

Kendra Maeda is from Japan that signed with the Dodgers. Take a look at his contract.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-o...ning-of-japanese-pitcher-kenta-maeda-official

I disagree with your statement Asians can't compete with bigger, stronger, and taller counter parts.

irvineorbust said:

It's about playing to your strength and the percentages.  Asians make up about 1/3 of the world's population and there have been fewer than 10 Asian basketball players.  That's an insanely small number. 

There's actually quite a few East Asians that played for the NBA and NCAA.  However, most never reached the same status as Yao Ming or Jeremy Lin.

Sun Yue, for example, was with the Lakers for a year, and didn't really do much.

sunyue-kobebryant-on-bench.jpg

momopi said:
There's actually quite a few East Asians that played for the NBA and NCAA.  However, most never reached the same status as Yao Ming or Jeremy Lin.

Sun Yue, for example, was with the Lakers for a year, and didn't really do much.

Sure...and there was Wang Zhi Zhi (Clippers) and the Chairman Yi Jianlian (who sent NBA teams a video of him driving around a literal chair)

Still...there have been only 9 NBA players from Asian countries:
http://ballislife.com/top-10-make-it-9-asian-nba-players/

It's an interesting question too, because of the large numbers. One-fifth of the world's population is east Asian, yet in professional sports leagues, they have fractional representation.

Back