Internet Access Problems

tmare_IHB

I just have to ask before I go off on AT&T, because it is really ugly when I get mad and I end up not liking myself for the monster I become. We have been through absolute hell with our internet service. We have spent 100's of dollars trying to fix the problem and tonight we seem to have narrowed it down immensely. Forgive me if I am stupid and completely non-tech savvy, but here it goes:

The entire time we have had high speed wireless service we have had trouble with our internet connection. It has been slow, intermittent and generally annoying. No one has been able to figure out the problem. AT&T has blamed the modem, the router (which we eliminated) and every other thing you could imagine. We've replaced several things and hired professionals to try to figure it out, checking all electrical wiring in the process. Tonight my daughter was talking to my mother on the phone in various locations throughout the house and of course, the internet connection was only working sporadically while she was on the phone (she's 4). She left the phone somewhere and didn't hang it up, we searched and searched together for the phone and we couldn't find it. The internet connection completely disappeared while the phone was off the hook. We gave up looking for the phone and my husband completely disconnected and unplugged the phone to see if we could get online. Magically, the internet connection is now working better and faster than it EVER, EVER has. We actually have a connection that is as strong and fast as the connection that I am sure all of you are used to having daily. So now I am going back for the hundredth time to argue with AT&T.

Can someone out there explain this? How do I convince the idiots over there that there is a problem with the phone line, because it seems clear to me. Is there something else someone can figure out? I can't tell you how many times over the last year we have told them that we got high speed wireless so that we could actually use the phone and the computer at the same time. Granted, we could use the phone at the same time but it has always been slow, especially compared to what we are experiencing tonight.

[quote author="tmare" date=1256471128]I just have to ask before I go off on AT&T, because it is really ugly when I get mad and I end up not liking myself for the monster I become. We have been through absolute hell with our internet service. We have spent 100's of dollars trying to fix the problem and tonight we seem to have narrowed it down immensely. Forgive me if I am stupid and completely non-tech savvy, but here it goes:

The entire time we have had high speed wireless service we have had trouble with our internet connection. It has been slow, intermittent and generally annoying. No one has been able to figure out the problem. AT&T has blamed the modem, the router (which we eliminated) and every other thing you could imagine. We've replaced several things and hired professionals to try to figure it out, checking all electrical wiring in the process. Tonight my daughter was talking to my mother on the phone in various locations throughout the house and of course, the internet connection was only working sporadically while she was on the phone (she's 4). She left the phone somewhere and didn't hang it up, we searched and searched together for the phone and we couldn't find it. The internet connection completely disappeared while the phone was off the hook. We gave up looking for the phone and my husband completely disconnected and unplugged the phone to see if we could get online. Magically, the internet connection is now working better and faster than it EVER, EVER has. We actually have a connection that is as strong and fast as the connection that I am sure all of you are used to having daily. So now I am going back for the hundredth time to argue with AT&T.

Can someone out there explain this? How do I convince the idiots over there that there is a problem with the phone line, because it seems clear to me. Is there something else someone can figure out? I can't tell you how many times over the last year we have told them that we got high speed wireless so that we could actually use the phone and the computer at the same time. Granted, we could use the phone at the same time but it has always been slow, especially compared to what we are experiencing tonight.</blockquote>

You have AT&T land line and DSL?

[quote author="Nude" date=1256472146][quote author="tmare" date=1256471128]I just have to ask before I go off on AT&T, because it is really ugly when I get mad and I end up not liking myself for the monster I become. We have been through absolute hell with our internet service. We have spent 100's of dollars trying to fix the problem and tonight we seem to have narrowed it down immensely. Forgive me if I am stupid and completely non-tech savvy, but here it goes:

Can someone out there explain this? How do I convince the idiots over there that there is a problem with the phone line, because it seems clear to me. Is there something else someone can figure out? I can't tell you how many times over the last year we have told them that we got high speed wireless so that we could actually use the phone and the computer at the same time. Granted, we could use the phone at the same time but it has always been slow, especially compared to what we are experiencing tonight.</blockquote>

You have AT&T land line and DSL?</blockquote>

Yes

The first thing that comes to mind is "wireless". I've only found wired connections to be very reliable. With a wireless router, the further away your computer is from the router, the worse your signal. On top of that, most routers transmit at 2.4 GHz. Many other consumer products operate at that frequency too, so there's a good chance you'll get interference from these other products. I'm guessing that the phone that your daughter lost is also 2.4 GHz. Even microwave ovens cook your food at that frequency. To completely eliminate the interference, your best bet is to use a wired connection to your DSL router. Your phone lines are probably fine.

SoCal68 (aka Mr SoCal78)

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1256472731]*Mental Note to Self*

DO NOT PISS OFF TMARE!

*End Mental Note to Self*

Btw, Cable Internet > DSL</blockquote>

So I have to switch to the Cable company that everyone hates from my dish in order to get a decent internet connection.? Do not even get me started on how I was able to get Dish Network to kiss my a**, that took way too long to give up now.

[quote author="SoCal68" date=1256473003]The first thing that comes to mind is "wireless". I've only found wired connections to be very reliable. With a wireless router, the further away your computer is from the router, the worse your signal. On top of that, most routers transmit at 2.4 GHz. Many other consumer products operate at that frequency too, so there's a good chance you'll get interference from these other products. I'm guessing that the phone that your daughter lost is also 2.4 GHz. Even microwave ovens cook your food at that frequency. To completely eliminate the interference, your best bet is to use a wired connection to your DSL router. Your phone lines are probably fine.

SoCal68 (aka Mr SoCal78)</blockquote>

Hey Mr. SoCal, it's nice to finally meet you here (I've met you in REAL life though). It would figure that our crazy internet issues would bring you out of hiding for the first time. Welcome!

Anyway, we've been through the whole router being far away from the computer thing which caused us to eliminate the unneeded router altogether, a suggestion from AT&T which actually ended up costing us some of the hundreds of dollars I speak of (actually, now that I think about it, it's more like 1K). We no longer have a router, so I'm not sure how that affects your theory. I just got off of the phone with our electrician who now thinks that there is a problem with the jumbled up wiring which is under our 1930's house. Our next plan is to hit AT&T up for the wiring plan that we pay for every month and see if they'll come out and try to figure it out. Thanks for the input everyone and more is welcome.

The word from the electrician is that switching to Cable would solve all of the problems but I'd really prefer not to do that.

I think I can one-up you on distress of lack of "services".

First, here in Turtle Rock we have NO cell phone service - the little mountains block all signals. I have found that in the powder room on the main level of my apartment I am able to get enough signal to send and receive text messages though.

I have COX for my internet, and the first two months I was in my apartment everything was great. But the last two months, the internet access has random and sporadic outtages. Sometimes it will be for a hour, and sometimes an entire day. It is so frustrating. I know it is not my laptop, because my kid's computer also goes out too.

And so there you have it. If you get constant cell service, then you are way better off than me.

That is strange that unplugging and replugging fixed the problem. Perhaps it is a static electricity build up problem? (ie. touching while unplugging/replugging discharged the slow static electricity buildup)?

[quote author="gypsyuma" date=1256474556]I think I can one-up you on distress of lack of "services".

First, here in Turtle Rock we have NO cell phone service - the little mountains block all signals. I have found that in the powder room on the main level of my apartment I am able to get enough signal to send and receive text messages though.

I have COX for my internet, and the first two months I was in my apartment everything was great. But the last two months, the internet access has random and sporadic outtages. Sometimes it will be for a hour, and sometimes an entire day. It is so frustrating. I know it is not my laptop, because my kid's computer also goes out too.

And so there you have it. If you get constant cell service, then you are way better off than me.</blockquote>

I used to have to sit on the toilet to talk on the cell phone in Fountain Valley. My cell phone service was sporadic in this house, I complained until I told them I was going to cancel, they suddenly said that they were working on the reception in my area (which they never admitted was bad before). It took about 6 months and I guess they actually did work on it because I haven't had any problems since that time.

I think we might need a new section here just for tech problems. Hey SoCal, does your husband have some free time? :)

[quote author="tmare" date=1256473070][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1256472731]*Mental Note to Self*

DO NOT PISS OFF TMARE!

So I have to switch to the Cable company that everyone hates from my dish in order to get a decent internet connection.? Do not even get me started on how I was able to get Dish Network to kiss my a**, that took way too long to give up now.</blockquote>
I used to have a lot of dropped signal issues with both Verizon and ATT/SBC DSL service (both using the wireless and wired connection). I also found the speed to be less than half that of Cable internet through Time Warner and Cox.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1256474804][quote author="tmare" date=1256473070][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1256472731]*Mental Note to Self*

DO NOT PISS OFF TMARE!

So I have to switch to the Cable company that everyone hates from my dish in order to get a decent internet connection.? Do not even get me started on how I was able to get Dish Network to kiss my a**, that took way too long to give up now.</blockquote>
I used to have a lot of dropped signal issues with both Verizon and ATT/SBC DSL service (both using the wireless and wired connection). I also found the speed to be less than half that of Cable internet through Time Warner and Cox.</blockquote>

The speed is incredibly fast as we speak with my land line disconnected, so very strange.

My next question to Mr. SoCal is, Why would the connection be better if the land line is disconnected versus being connected when the phone is NOT in use?

So are you saying that you aren't wireless now? Or you removed the wireless router and are now using a wireless modem instead?

AT&T can test the signal to your DSL modem without ever going to your house. If that checks out, and I'm guessing it did, I would not think crazy wiring is the problem. You do have the option of using cable solely for internet access, so you wouldn't necessarily have to give up Dish to do it. But keep in mind, cable won't eliminate any 'wireless' problems related to using a wireless router or modem.

If you need wireless for use with a laptop or computer away from an existing phone jack (which you'd plug the DSL modem into) then I'd recommend a wireless router/modem based on the 802.11n standard. They have better range, but you'd also need to add a card to your computer as well.

w00t! My 2nd post! :)

[quote author="tmare" date=1256475423]My next question to Mr. SoCal is, Why would the connection be better if the land line is disconnected versus being connected when the phone is NOT in use?</blockquote>

What do you mean by disconnect the landline? Unplug your phone? Does your phone have a DSL filter on it? It better.

[quote author="tmare" date=1256474483]It would figure that our crazy internet issues would bring you out of hiding for the first time.</blockquote>
The wife made me do it. ;-)

Ok, guys, DSL filter. No idea if I have one and too tired to figure it out tonight. From the look of things, the two of you may have figured out the problem. I'll check back in tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help.

[quote author="SoCal68" date=1256473003]The first thing that comes to mind is "wireless". I've only found wired connections to be very reliable. With a wireless router, the further away your computer is from the router, the worse your signal. On top of that, most routers transmit at 2.4 GHz. Many other consumer products operate at that frequency too, so there's a good chance you'll get interference from these other products. I'm guessing that the phone that your daughter lost is also 2.4 GHz. Even microwave ovens cook your food at that frequency. To completely eliminate the interference, your best bet is to use a wired connection to your DSL router. Your phone lines are probably fine.

SoCal68 (aka Mr SoCal78)</blockquote>

Ahhh...so this is why the microwave seems to slow down our connection...I never understood why that happened! Thanks SoCal68 and welcome to the forums! Next we'll work on getting SoCal03(?) and SoCal06(?) hooked!

Back