Internet Access Problems

First, let me clear up some confusion here. "Cordless" phones and "Wireless" routers <strong>might</strong> interfere with one another, if they were both being used at the same time and were on the same channel within that frequency. But it is highly unlikely that they would effect each other's performance because most electronic companies program to avoid it. Very old cordless phones operated at 2.4 Gigahertz, but typically they defaulted to channel 2, whereas most wireless routers default to channel 6. If you live in a high density area, your chances of interference are higher from other people's wireless routers than your own cordless phone or microwave or cellphone or... you get the point.

It appears that DSL filters will resolve your primary problem, but I would also recommend changing the channel your wireless router uses to something like 11 or 8 or 4, just to prevent any interference from your neighbors. Newer cordless phones now work on 1.9 Ghz and most 802.11(n) routers broadcast on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz specifically so they can't interfere, even by accident. If your microwave causes interference, throw it out immediately, because the shielding is failing and spraying radio waves around itself every time you use it.

[quote author="Nude" date=1256481160]First, let me clear up some confusion here. "Cordless" phones and "Wireless" routers <strong>might</strong> interfere with one another, if they were both being used at the same time and were on the same channel within that frequency. But it is highly unlikely that they would effect each other's performance because most electronic companies program to avoid it. Very old cordless phones operated at 2.4 Gigahertz, but typically they defaulted to channel 2, whereas most wireless routers default to channel 6. If you live in a high density area, your chances of interference are higher from other people's wireless routers than your own cordless phone or microwave or cellphone or... you get the point.</blockquote>

In an ideal world, yes, no radio device would interfere with another. Unfortunately they can and do, even on different channels. It is impossible to generate a radio signal at one frequency without generating some signal at other close-by and harmonic frequencies. That is why TV broadcast channels were spaced apart with at least one unused channel in between the other, and why radio broadcasts at one frequency can bleed into a weaker station that you're listening to. I doubt the timing of the lost off-the-hook cordless phone and lost internet connection are a chance coincidence.

At work I use a bluetooth stereo headset with my computer. Whenever I'm listening to music, I notice it interferes with our wireless security cameras (3 of them on different 'channels'). I stop the music, and the picture clears up. Start the music, and the picture jumbles. Oh, guess what frequency bluetooth uses? Yep, it's also in the 2.4 GHz band. Same as our cameras.

I'm not trying to spread confusion or panic, I'm just saying these things happen.

To really eliminate the wireless aspect of an internet connection, take your computer close to the wireless modem or router. Disable the wireless network connection on your computer, and plug in an ethernet cable. One end into the computer, the other into your modem/router. Then go do a connection speed test, such as this one: <a href="http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1">Speed Test - dslreports.com</a>. Write down your results. Try this a few times to make sure the results are consistent. Then unplug the ethernet cable and turn your wireless network connection back on. Try the test again. Then try yet again where you normally use your computer. If you have a good wireless signal, they should all read about the same speed, and hopefully close to the speeds you're paying for.

Tmare - If you would like me to dispatch the "nerd herd" for a courtesy call to your home to take a look, send me a PM to arrange a day and time.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1256528260]Tmare - If you would like me to dispatch the "nerd herd" for a courtesy call to your home to take a look, send me a PM to arrange a day and time.</blockquote>

We're going to attempt to get an answer to this DSL filter deal tomorrow, so I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!

Wait... you don't have a DSL filter on your outlets that are connected to phones?

That has been a requirement for DSL for a while now, they even ship them with their setup kits. You basically have to put one between every phone and outlet except for between the DSL modem and the outlet. When we switched our phone to one of those one outlet systems (main phone base connected, all other phones just needed to be plugged into power) it was more convenient as I only had to put that dongle on one line.

AT&T should have asked you that at the beginning. For the record, I hate them now. I have been abused by them on several occasions (mostly whenever I moved... which was 2 times in the last year so that put me over the edge) and have put all my services on Cox (may not be much better but at least there are not insane hold times and they can activate services same or next day unlike AT&T (and phone service is much cheaper)).

And TCPA is right... cable Internet makes DSL look like dial-up.

We have ATT DSL at the office in Orange. You do need a filter if you have a "Phone" attached along with the computer

to the same DSL line. That filter is a mandatory item.

We are just a few blocks from a "Head End" and our signal is great. But about once a month it will just drop

for a few minutes. We got a new router and that seems to have helped. But DSL is not as reliable as the old

ISDN or T1 technology that was based on the older "POTS" telephone system. We are not using the wireless

at work. Just too much of a pain. Thats what a wired network is for anyway.

At home in Irvne its Cox. And I hate to say it. It works great and the speed is insane. I have seen

14Mb/Sec at home. But you be paying the $ 45.00 a month.

If the filters don't work don't forget to see if you can get a NID splitter installed.

What they would do is physically peel off your ADSL lines and give you a separate jack inside for just DSL.

So this guy named no_vas drops by and hands me a DSL filter (no, we have never had one) and suddenly I can use the phone and the internet at the same time! Unbelievable that I went through all of this and no one at AT&T ever mentioned that such a thing existed. Thanks to all who contributed to solving my problem, particularly Mr. SoCal, trrenter, nude and of course, no_vas. It figures the IHB would solve this problem.

Back