Intermittent Fasting

SoCal said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Then you can try a 3 and 5 day fast.

No carbs, no calories, no cookies, no point in living.

That's why IF is okay for me... I still eat a cookie, just inside my window. And because I stick to my window, I don't eat those late night cookies... it's a time limiter which as a side effect limits calories without having to count them.

So why not just stuff a ton of cookies during my window? Well, I get full faster because of the limited time and I don't actually feel like I have to eat them... that also keeps me from snacking because I'm not hungry between meals.

I know this is anecdotal and some people here don't value personal experience but that's what it is for me.

It's 2 months IHO since you started in early DEC.  How much weight came off?

I think I'm around 20-25 lbs down now... but have been there for about a month. As it seems with most diet plans, the initial weight loss is high and so now I have to just be patient with a slower reduction rate.

I'm ramping up the physical activity... just need to not get injured as that always puts me on a backpedal because I can't be active.

Hopefully my anecdotal experience doesn't affect my credibility.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think I'm around 20-25 lbs down now... but have been there for about a month. As it seems with most diet plans, the initial weight loss is high and so now I have to just be patient with a slower reduction rate.

I'm ramping up the physical activity... just need to not get injured as that always puts me on a backpedal because I can't be active.

To keep the weight loss going, you'll have to mix in 4/20 and 24 hour fasting (eating once a day).  You should watch your carb intake as well.  I've watched several YouTube videos where they said they you have to keep your body guessing so to mix around those various types of IF that you do and you'll continue to see weight loss.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:

To keep the weight loss going, you'll have to mix in 4/20 and 24 hour fasting (eating once a day).  You should watch your carb intake as well.  I've watched several YouTube videos where they said they you have to keep your body guessing so to mix around those various types of IF that you do and you'll continue to see weight loss.

What is the science behind "mixing" the schedules?

I understand that IF in general reduces calories but how does making the fasting period longer (or even throwing in a cheat day) change things to kick start weight loss again? It just seems like extending the fasting period or a 24 hour fast is just reducing calories more, but is there any type of biological reasoning behind a longer fast?

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I understand that IF in general reduces calories but how does making the fasting period longer (or even throwing in a cheat day) change things to kick start weight loss again? It just seems like extending the fasting period or a 24 hour fast is just reducing calories more, but is there any type of biological reasoning behind a longer fast?

It's not so much about calorie counting, the longer fasting allows your body to deplete all of the stored glycogen (glucose) in your muscles and liver.  Once you deplete all of your stored glycogen your body goes into ketosis where you are burning fat for energy so the longer the fast the longer your body is in ketosis burning fat. Our bodies adapt very well to changes in the environment so mixing things up will keep your body on its toes.  For example, if you eat 2-3 meals around the same time doing the 8/16 IF then your body knows that food is coming around those times so if for whatever reason you miss a meal around those times your body will release the hungry hormone.  But if you change you the different types of IF then your body will be confused and not waste energy on producing the hunger hormone because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.  When I've done a 24 fast, I've eaten a lot....especially if I go get Korean BBQ....I'll basically eat until I'm stuffed.  Calorie restriction is never a good long term recipe to maintain weight loss as your resting metabolism will decrease to your lower caloric intake.  There have been studies done that people that do extended fasts (2 to 14 days) actually have their resting metabolism stay the same or increase slightly.  The main premise of IF helping you to lose weight is the fact that you are reducing the level of insulin in your body and increase the time that your body is burning fat for energy (ketosis). 

I went a little overboard with intermittent fasting.  I was around 400-600 calories per day for a few weeks.  (one meal a day OMAD)

I started having vision problems, like where I would need glasses.  I started eating more and my vision restored.  My vision is back to normal now. 

spootieho said:
I went a little overboard with intermittent fasting.  I was around 400-600 calories per day for a few weeks.  (one meal a day OMAD)

I started having vision problems, like where I would need glasses.  I started eating more and my vision restored.  My vision is back to normal now. 

Yeah, you still gotta get enough calories and macro nutrients in your body on a OMAD eating routine.  I basically eat until I'm stuffed to make sure I get enough calories for the day.  When I did a 5 day fast months ago I started getting muscle cramping and spasms at the end of day 4...that was a signal from my body to break the fast.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:

It's not so much about calorie counting, the longer fasting allows your body to deplete all of the stored glycogen (glucose) in your muscles and liver.  Once you deplete all of your stored glycogen your body goes into ketosis where you are burning fat for energy so the longer the fast the longer your body is in ketosis burning fat. Our bodies adapt very well to changes in the environment so mixing things up will keep your body on its toes.  For example, if you eat 2-3 meals around the same time doing the 8/16 IF then your body knows that food is coming around those times so if for whatever reason you miss a meal around those times your body will release the hungry hormone.  But if you change you the different types of IF then your body will be confused and not waste energy on producing the hunger hormone because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.  When I've done a 24 fast, I've eaten a lot....especially if I go get Korean BBQ....I'll basically eat until I'm stuffed.  Calorie restriction is never a good long term recipe to maintain weight loss as your resting metabolism will decrease to your lower caloric intake.  There have been studies done that people that do extended fasts (2 to 14 days) actually have their resting metabolism stay the same or increase slightly.  The main premise of IF helping you to lose weight is the fact that you are reducing the level of insulin in your body and increase the time that your body is burning fat for energy (ketosis). 

USC: I appreciate this response and this is what you have said many times in this thread (as has other sites on IF) but I have yet to find a study that scientifically proves this, esp in regards to insulin production and metabolism (do you have any links?).

What I've read is that comparison of groups that do IF and reduced calorie diets usually lose the same weight during the same time frame, I'm just not sure if the other factors you mention actually occur. It makes sense that they do, but at the same time, the whole premise of "making your body guess when the next meal is coming makes it not waste energy on producing a hungry hormone" needs some explaining to me.

The reason why I think it works is really because it extends the time for my body to burn off calories and fat. And because during my eating window, I'm not really exceeding what I usually eat, the calorie deficit makes it more effective. Additionally, because fasting windows are much easier to maintain than calorie counting or portioning, it tends to be more successful.

Due to be really busy last week, I was actually able to throw in a 22 hour fast, which was pretty easy so I'm going to try that a bit more. But I also had to break a fast over the weekend because we got stuck in an event and didn't have dinner until 10pm.

I think my friend has lost 10 lbs in his first month but I haven't seen him in a few weeks so not sure how he is doing now.

Here are a few videos that discuss what I'm talking about more (I love the Dr. Jason Fung videos).

Edit - not sure why the YouTube links aren't coming through but check out these videos...

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

What I've Learned - Fasting vs. Eating Less: What's the Difference? (Science of Fasting)

#1 SCIENCE BEHIND FASTING: FASTING VS. EATING LESS

The goal with IF (along with eating right) is to reduce the total insulin in your body.  Insulin prevents your body from using your storied fat for energy and from what I've read and seen online is that insulin is a source for inflammation in your body. 

Still on this.

Actually had my blood work done about a month back and all good news, good cholesterol up, bad cholesterol down, glucose down and all other blood/urine tests fall within the normal range. My doc was happy with the results.

Have been at the same weight for the last month or so but am increasing physical activity to drop more weight. Thinking about throwing in some weights but we'll see.

irvinehomeowner said:
Still on this.

Actually had my blood work done about a month back and all good news, good cholesterol up, bad cholesterol down, glucose down and all other blood/urine tests fall within the normal range. My doc was happy with the results.

Have been at the same weight for the last month or so but am increasing physical activity to drop more weight. Thinking about throwing in some weights but we'll see.

Try extended fasts like 24-72 hours to break through that wall.

Still going.

It's been 6 months and this is probably the most success I've had in the last decade of trying to lose weight.

Still at that plateau and even though I've done a few 24 hour fasts, doesn't seem to get me below that but at least I'm not gaining weight either.

I'll keep increasing physical activity... let's see if more mid-week exercise helps.

Would anyone be interested in doing group walks?

I have a friend who is a health & wellness instructor within a local community college district. Part of that is leading exercise classes for her role as a teacher. We just met a few months ago. She has invited me to start walking with her (not as part of her class, just as friends.) She lives in Irvine. I live in Foothill Ranch. I was thinking maybe the Great Park would be a good place to meet -- idk, I never go there but it seems like it would be a good place to walk.

If anyone might be interested in joining, let me know. I think it's a good way to encourage yourself to get out when there is a specific time & place instead of just telling yourself you will do it "later" on your own and "later" never comes. That's what happens to me. :)

Almost 9 months in.

Still around my plateau point but no longer slowly gaining weight like I have been the last 10 years. My goal is to get back to where I was 10 years ago and even lower if possible.

I'm patient, I figure it took me 10 years to get here... it's not going to go away in 1 year. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Almost 9 months in.

Still around my plateau point but no longer slowly gaining weight like I have been the last 10 years. My goal is to get back to where I was 10 years ago and even lower if possible.

I'm patient, I figure it took me 10 years to get here... it's not going to go away in 1 year. :)

Try an extended fast of 48-72 hours once a month.  Also you want to mix it up from day to day...some days I do one meal a day and other days I do two meals and then I'll even mix in three meals once in a blue moon.  Keep the sugar and carb low and alcohol to a complete minimum.  I'm kinda stuck about 10lbs off my goal weight but that's because I need to hit the gym.

Since we keep talking about diet/exercise in the mortgage rate thread...

So I got off of IF for a while because of Covid and gained back the weight.

Went back to IF late last year and with a combination of better food choices, calorie watching (not counting) and more exercise, I am over half my way to my "10 years ago weight".

My doctor is actually surprised because all my lab numbers have improved including blood pressure.

My knees are still pretty bad and it's much harder to hoop nowadays but I'm going to keep going out there until my legs fall off.

irvinehomeowner said:
Since we keep talking about diet/exercise in the mortgage rate thread...

So I got off of IF for a while because of Covid and gained back the weight.

Went back to IF late last year and with a combination of better food choices, calorie watching (not counting) and more exercise, I am over half my way to my "10 years ago weight".

My doctor is actually surprised because all my lab numbers have improved including blood pressure.

My knees are still pretty bad and it's much harder to hoop nowadays but I'm going to keep going out there until my legs fall off.

Somehow I just got used to 2 meals a day, so I didn't gain weight during COVID. Well, I guess that's not really true since I lost quite a bit of muscles due to not being able to use the gym at work. Our gym at work just opened up again mid March. I can see my weight gaining a bit after putting back some muscles, so I'm giving up the pastries in the afternoon for the protein bars.

Back