Intermittent Fasting

How about having more liquid than solid food? Is it horrible to say that my weekend diet is 70% vino and 30% food.    :-[.

RangeRover said:
How about having more liquid than solid food? Is it horrible to say that my weekend diet is 70% vino and 30% food.    :-[.

They say that when you are IF'ing, your hungry can be satisfied by drinking water.  What kind of liquid food are you having?  Kale shakes? 

I've done the master cleanser (all liquid diet) for about 3 days straight. Supposed to go a week. People have gone way longer.
After the detox, every food feels too rich.  Can't imagine going straight to kbbq, probably shock the system too much, lol.

AW said:
I've done the master cleanser (all liquid diet) for about 3 days straight. Supposed to go a week. People have gone way longer.
After the detox, every food feels too rich.  Can't imagine going straight to kbbq, probably shock the system too much, lol.

speaking of kbbq.  wanna go next week?  ;D

Homer_Simpson said:
AW said:

Mmmm. Yum. I'll detox after kbbq, yay

USCTrojanCPA said:
They say that when you are IF'ing, your hungry can be satisfied by drinking water. 

Maybe you could be a "Breatharian" like these people.
http://nypost.com/2017/06/15/breatharian-couple-survives-on-the-universes-energy-instead-of-food/

They have barely eaten in years. Their diet got more and more extreme like yours, until they're at the point where they try living off the "energy of the universe" with only a little added veggie broth or one bite of fruit once in a while to keeping them going. "Cosmic nourishment", they call it. They must think they're plants. Only problem is humans can not photosynthesize food.

USCTrojanCPA said:
RangeRover said:

They say that when you are IF'ing, your hungry can be satisfied by drinking water.  What kind of liquid food are you having?  Kale shakes?

On a regular basis (Mon-Thurs), I'll drink chrysanthemum tea, lots of water, coconut water, 2 cups of coffee throughout the morning and have a small solid breakfast (i.e. flax/chia seed bread with butter or jam). I do lose a quite of bit of liquid in the morning after taking a hot yoga class. Then, water throughout the day so that I feel more full and I can control my meal portion. I don't really drink kale or any of those green mixed drinks. I prefer to eat them. I think it's good to do juice cleanse once in awhile, but only if you feel you have to detox.

RangeRover said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
RangeRover said:

On a regular basis (Mon-Thurs), I'll drink chrysanthemum tea, lots of water, coconut water, 2 cups of coffee throughout the morning and have a small solid breakfast (i.e. flax/chia seed bread with butter or jam). I do lose a quite of bit of liquid in the morning after taking a hot yoga class. Then, water throughout the day so that I feel more full and I can control my meal portion. I don't really drink kale or any of those green mixed drinks. I prefer to eat them. I think it's good to do juice cleanse once in awhile, but only if you feel you have to detox.

I think the 3-day fasting that I did where all that I had was water, iced tea, and mineral water felt like a cleanse for me.  The 2nd day was the hungriest and my head felt a little floaty but by the 3rd I felt fine with no much hunger, I probably could have gone on a few more days.  Next month I'll try a 5 day fast.  I do a 24 hour fast at least once a week where I eat once.  My weight has been coming off gradually and consistently as has my gutt.  IF and eat low carbs feels normal for me now with little desire for sweat stuff and a lot of starches (still have some rice, bread, and potatoes). 

Homer_Simpson said:
AW said:

I'm down...

Homer_Simpson said:
Calories in vs. Calories out.

If you want to lose weight, eat under the calories using your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).  If you want to gain weight do the opposite.

Just remember, you'll never out-exercise your diet. 

Yeah, I tried to explain this to him.  He refuses to listen to it.  One day he'll understand it.

Trojan, read the article belowhttp://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
Lost 27lbs in 2 months. 2/3rds of his foods came from "junk style" foods, i.e. eating sugary foods, twinkies, the "insulin spiking" foods.  Goes against everything you're telling everyone in this post.

As myself and this other gentlemen have pointed out to you, calories in vs calories out. 
Do yourself a favor and listen less to every "doctor" on the internet.
As I told you before, if your IF'ing is doing well for you, keep doing it.
But once again, understand the reason why you are losing weight is because you are in a caloric deficit. 

Martin have you been working out? If not, I recommend weight lifting! Let me know if you need a program to start with. 

Attachments

• IMG_6935.JPG
    IMG_6935.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 353
Homer_Simpson said:
Martin have you been working out? If not, I recommend weight lifting! Let me know if you need a program to start with.

Is this as good as Tai chi?  Doubtful.

So, I didn't mention this at the time... but shortly after reading the posts here, I actually decided to try I.F. for myself. I didn't want to talk about it, rake Martin over the coals like some folks here, or express any opinions about it until I gave it a decent try.

Start date: August 14th
Method: 16/8 on paper. More like 17/7 in practice.
Weight: 10 lbs. lost

My thoughts:

Going into it-- I expected this to just be a fancy word for "skipping breakfast". We've ALL done I.F. at some point in our lives but just haven't called it by that name. I expected my intermittent fasting to turn into intermittent binging. I was afraid of gaining weight on this. I could see how this could quickly go wrong. I've been a calorie-counter for years, having lost up to 30 lbs. that way. I like calorie counting because it is not restrictive. I was curious to see how I.F. would compare.

During the 30 days -- I picked a plan based on my lifestyle and dove right in on Day 1. The recommended fast for beginners is 16/8. So, that's what I did. To recap, 16/8 means fasting 16 hours and eating 8. I'm a night owl. So, I decided to make my eating window from noon 'til 8 p.m. I'm not a big breakfast person but I always put a lot of effort into making homemade meals for my family for dinner (even when I'm not home). I wanted to be able to eat with them or eat something to keep myself going when I'm out. As far as "cheating", some I.F.'ers will eat or drink around 50 calories outside their window. I drank coffee with about 100 calories worth of creamer in it in the morning. Coffee is an appetite-suppressant. I think it helped me rather than hurt me. At night, I only drank water after 8. In practice, though, I serve dinner around 6 each night and it's over before 7 p.m. So I actually fasted longer than 16/8.

Unexpected benefits / compared to calorie counting: I got full a lot faster. When it was time to eat, by the time I ate a normal meal, I had no room left to binge on sweets or anything. You could eat & feel stuffed but at the end of the day, still have a large calorie deficit. When I was just counting calories, I would just string the food throughout the day. So I never got as hungry - or as full - as I did with I.F. It's also VERY FREEING. No counting! I'm like a calorie-counting savant. I can look at food and instantly know how many calories everything is and tally everything up in my head. That's how long I've been doing this. It's nice to just eat whatever you want and not do all the mental math.

Unexpected side effects - Big question mark here. I've been getting vertigo since I started I.F. But it hasn't been during the fasting. It's during the eating window. I almost fainted when I was grocery shopping two days ago. The whole room just started turning, my temples hurt, and my eyelids got heavy. I also started to feel like I was going to pass out just sitting on my couch at home, typing on a laptop. It could be completely unrelated. I simply don't know. I would say every day, I feel more light-headed in general. I'm definitely NOT starving myself, though. At the end of each day, I usually add up would I would have eaten calorie-wise. I'm eating more than enough! Probably too much, actually. I'm definitely not on those 1,000 or less calorie a day starvation diets. And I always stay hydrated. So, I really don't know what the problem is. It could just be stress.

Verdict: Aside from potentially related light-headedness, I LIKE IT!! They say it takes 30 days to start a new habit. Now that it's been 30 days, I could definitely see myself sticking with I.F. 16/8 is really not hard to do at all. Since it's easy, and it's working, I definitely plan to keep going. If I see the weight loss start to slow down, then I might increase it.

Congrats SoCal, nice job.  In the 3 months that I'd been IFing and mostly low carb eating, I've lost about 20 lbs and now need to wear a belt to keep my pants on.  The first week or so were hard for me as I kicked all sweets (except for the once in a great while birthday cake at parties) and reduced the starches that I eat by at least 75%, including barely eating any bread or flour based foods.  I got slight headaches and felt lightheaded in those first 7-10 days, after that my body got used to the IF and I went from there.  I started with 8/16 eating 3 times in that window and now I mostly do a 4/20 eating 2 times and at least 1-2 times a week I only eat once a day doing a 24 hour fast.  I'm going to be doing a 5-day fast next week.  My friends would ask me...so are you on a new diet?  And I'd say no, I'm eating all the lower carb stuff that I like....eggs with bacon, In'n'out burgers protein style, steaks, fish, snack on nuts, salads with steak and chicken, etc.  When I do eat sweet stuff like cake it tastes so sweet to me now that I have to cut the sweetness with water otherwise it sorta burns my throat going down.  haha

SoCal, try doing a 4/20 a few days a week and maybe eat once 1 day per week to mix it up and keep your body from getting too comfortable.  My dad has also need low carb eating and IFing since 4th of July when I cleared out all of the junk from his fridge and pantry.  He has lost 15 pounds since then and tells me that his arthritis is better.

People over complicate diets and try too many different programs.
It is not that difficult. When you start treating food as fuel and think how it is going to make you feel today and the day after, it makes a world of difference.

1- Work out 3-4 times a week (You don't have to be a workout warrior, just get something in and not the stationary bike). Lift weights versus pure cardio
2- Keep Carbs to breakfast and lunch. Carbs = energy, you don't want to cut it completely out. Just eat early in the day so you have the rest of the day/night to burn it off. Also don't say chips are carbs. Eat good carbs, not french fries.
3- No junk food or bad snacks in between meals
4- Dinner should be lean protein and greens
5- Don't cut out the fat from your diet. Especially good fat (Avocados)
6- Limit salt and sugar (Sugar from fruit is ok, just don't overdo it)
7- If you want to snack, pack almonds, fruit. Stay away from candy bars and chips
8- Absolutely no Soda, ever
9- Drink lots of water
10- If you must eat late at night, yogurt or cottage cheese are really good to eat. Slow digesting protein like these help your body continue to work as you sleep. You will continue to burn calories in your sleep with these casein proteins. You also will sleep better at night since you get more tired as your body is at work.

Ok, I went a little overboard, but these are all good practices. You can start by kicking soda and crappy snacks out of your diet and try the rest slowly.

I think exercise is also very important to maintain your ideal weight once you get there. I think the most important question is to find your why? Why do you want to lose 30 lbs? Why do you want to be back in shape? If you know your why? you will get there very quickly.

My personal why was because my dad passed away from a heart disease at young age of 65 five years ago. Heart disease may run in my family, but I am going to do whatever I can within my control.

You need to find a sport that you are very passionate about as a kid and incorporate it to your daily life style. For me, it is playing competitive tennis. Playing tennis keeps me mentally sharp, reduces my stress, and gives me an incredible cardio workout. I am an early bird, and I swim five days a week. Aerobic exercise and play tennis about once or twice a week all before 8am.

Article:
When the team looked just at the risk of death from cardiovascular disease, they found that swimming reduced the risk by 41%, racket sports by 56% and aerobics by 36%. Running, cycling and football showed no protective effect.

Source:https://www.theguardian.com/science...-ace-at-reducing-risk-of-death-study-suggests

Back