Intermittent Fasting

There's definite cheat days or days where you can't avoid it with kids and varying schedules.  We had 2 holiday parties this past weekend, I definitely ate & drank my way through the 8 hour window on both nights. 

irvinehomeowner said:
I can resist the night time snacking well enough... it's just getting my family to eat dinner early on the weekends that makes it harder.

But my willpower was really tested last Sunday, for the first time in a while, the Mrs. wanted to try breakfast at Kona Coffee at Diamond Jamboree so I just sat there while watching her and others eat Hawaiian breakfast food... gah.

I guess it's time for my annual post.

Good job, Iho! Even just a little bit of self-control goes a long way. I am really proud of you for making an effort.

I have lost 45 lbs. since March. Yes, I said 45. If I'm going to be totally honest, I had completely let myself go at one point. The truth is I got fat. I was miserable. I kept tricking myself into thinking I had it under control. I thought I could at least maintain my weight without tracking my diet just by being on auto-pilot. But I was wrong. I was in total denial. The scale just kept creeping up & up & up! I knew that if I didn't do something immediately and take it seriously, my weight would become a runaway train. Nobody wants to end up on that show, "My 600 lb. Life". Haha. But then I gained some new motivation.

I had a big birthday coming up and I started a new job. 2018 was a new chapter in my life. I felt energized by everything. I began using the calorie-counting app on my phone, FatSecret. I tracked my daily calories. I like counting calories because even on days where you question if you did enough, it's simple math. You can look and see you are, indeed, on track. Weight fluctuations on the scale mess with your head. I like a more consistent and reliable measurement of where you should be. That's why I say even a little bit goes a long way. For example, 200-300 calories doesn't seem like much. It would be very easy to eat that much in chocolate without realizing it. But withholding even a small amount makes a big difference over time. It's simply a numbers game. Also even if you've had a crappy day, there is always redemption. You could overeat but still pull it way back on dinner. If only you had any idea how many times I've lost control then had to eat low-sodium chicken broth and sugar free Jello for dinner (like a colonoscopy diet, my friend says. lol!) There are always ways to make it work.

I'm still not where I want to be. Everyone says I look good now. I've already had to completely replace my wardrobe. But I think I can do a lot better. I can look at photos of myself now with cringing. I like that. Even though I've already hit one big goal, I'm going to keep moving forward doing the same thing I've been doing. I have no doubts that I can get to where I need to be.

Just keep going, everyone! When you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up. Start fresh the next day. When the good choices outweigh the bad, you're still coming out ahead.

SoCal... If you have the determination to lose 45 lbs.... you will reach your other goals in life as well  If God loves and values us, we might as well also like ourselves and see ourselves as people of value. We can only give to others what we have inside of us. Thank you for sharing your story.

Panda

akkord said:
There's definite cheat days or days where you can't avoid it with kids and varying schedules.  We had 2 holiday parties this past weekend, I definitely ate & drank my way through the 8 hour window on both nights. 

So for the first time, I broke my 16-hour fast last weekend because I was with some buddies I hadn't seen in a while and they wanted to get breakfast. So the 16-hour fast became a 13-hour one, did an 8-hour eat window from there followed by a 17-hour fast to get back on track but I think I went late on the eat window. Didn't do anything for New Year's Eve so am back on the 16:8.

Out of curiosity I weighed myself to see if that affected anything and it does look like a gained a few pounds but I think that's more from what I was eating rather than breaking the windows.

I realize that this may not be interesting to anyone but posting here helps with my accountability although this seems to be the only "diet" that's very easy to stick to.

Still on it.

My windows are more like 17:7 or 18:6 now because I usually don't get lunch until later (no matter how loud my stomach is growling) and/or finish dinner earlier.

I've been trying to find articles on what makes Intermittent Fasting different from reduced calorie diets and it's stuff about metabolism, insulin, ketosis, etc that doesn't seem to be proven. All I know is this is probably the easiest weight loss I've experienced. Maybe that's why in college I was thinner because I really couldn't afford to eat all the time so there were many long hours between meals.

I was discussing this with a relative and he was telling me how he lost weight on this 30-day Ketogenic Diet but he had to have certain meals/snacks at certain times and everything had to be measured out. He was surprised that all I had to do was not eat in the morning and I got the same result.

Visually... I don't notice a difference but all my clothes are looser and I'm actually able to play more basketball without hurting as much for the rest of the week. It's funny because the family knows when my fast/eat times are so they say stuff like "We need to eat now before Dad's window closes". :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Maybe that's why in college I was thinner because I really couldn't afford to eat all the time so there were many long hours between meals.

This makes me so sad!!  :'( Iho! Didn't your mom feed you?!?

My son will start college in a couple years (so hard to believe!) And if I knew he wasn't eating, I'd be all...

giphy.gif

Kings said:
just keep in mind that IF is the tool, and not the mechanism for weight loss.  in the end, you still need to eat less than what your body needs to maintain its current state.  for most people, simply skipping one meal (breakfast) cuts out enough calories to see results.  just be careful that you don't swing the pendulum too far the other way during your feeding periods that you eat more than you normally would during a normal unrestricted eating day.

exercise speeds up that process and IF makes that easier by compressing your window for eating - think of it more as a mental game where you're trying to outsmart your body (and mind).  definitely worth a try.  i don't currently do IF, but have in the past and saw great results.

Not all calories count the same because of the insulin response.  The less insulin the better so high protein and fat foods are better than high carb foods.  There are really 3 things that count...1) diet (lower carb, reduce processed food as much as possible) and this is the most important part  2) IF starting with 8/16 then going to 4/20 then going 24 hour fast and 3) Exercise.  I've lost 40lbs since I started without exercise but I've hit a bit of a wall and probably need to start exercising to drop those last 10lbs.

mads said:
https://www.sciencealert.com/intermittent-fasting-is-no-better-than-conventional-dieting-says-new-study
An year long study came to the conclusion that there is no significant difference between a calorie restricted diet and IF (they focused on the 5:2 IF).

In the end, it's about what diet you are personally able to stick to long enough that it becomes a habit. And of course, keep an eye on your intake of highly processed/refined foods, including fries.

There is a huge difference with calorie restriction diet and IF.  With a calorie restriction diet, your resting metabolism will decrease and you will have less energy.  The main goal with IF is to start using your stored fat for energy by reducing insulin levels.  I've had way more energy since I've done IF plus I sleep better even though I sleep less hours.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think only USC and Panda care but I'm still IFing (or is it AyeEffing?).

As Aquabliss noted, the initial weight loss is surprising. I didn't weigh myself until the end of the week and it looks like I'm down around 10-15 pounds. My delta is usually around +/- 5 so that's pretty good considering I'm not putting too much more effort into this.

And yes, it really is just less calories, but as others have said, IF uses a "pattern" change in your eating rather than just counting calories so it makes it easier to stick to. One or two days my eating window goes longer to 9 hours (usually on Friday or Saturday because of a later dinner) but then I just don't eat lunch until an hour or two later the next day to ensure I get a 16+ hour fast.

One of the things I miss is breakfast food. But I guess I can always have breakfast for lunch at McDs or Jack but I'm also trying to avoid those places (sorry qwerburger).

The hardest thing was Fri/Sat night because that's usually movie night and that's when the snacks tend to come out at our house. :(

Nice work but I will say about half of the weight loss in the first few weeks is water weight since when you cut carbs and start IF your body needs less water (water is needed to process carbs).  Are you feeling mentally sharper and have more energy?

irvinehomeowner said:
Still on it.

My windows are more like 17:7 or 18:6 now because I usually don't get lunch until later (no matter how loud my stomach is growling) and/or finish dinner earlier.

I've been trying to find articles on what makes Intermittent Fasting different from reduced calorie diets and it's stuff about metabolism, insulin, ketosis, etc that doesn't seem to be proven. All I know is this is probably the easiest weight loss I've experienced. Maybe that's why in college I was thinner because I really couldn't afford to eat all the time so there were many long hours between meals.

I was discussing this with a relative and he was telling me how he lost weight on this 30-day Ketogenic Diet but he had to have certain meals/snacks at certain times and everything had to be measured out. He was surprised that all I had to do was not eat in the morning and I got the same result.

Visually... I don't notice a difference but all my clothes are looser and I'm actually able to play more basketball without hurting as much for the rest of the week. It's funny because the family knows when my fast/eat times are so they say stuff like "We need to eat now before Dad's window closes". :)

I know this will be tough but try to mix in some 4/20 IF days into the routine.  That's basically where you have 2 meals a day.  For me that means a late lunch and then an earlier dinner.  You want to keep your body on its toes once it gets used to the 8/16 IF schedule.  Keep it going!

SoCal said:
I guess it's time for my annual post.

Good job, Iho! Even just a little bit of self-control goes a long way. I am really proud of you for making an effort.

I have lost 45 lbs. since March. Yes, I said 45. If I'm going to be totally honest, I had completely let myself go at one point. The truth is I got fat. I was miserable. I kept tricking myself into thinking I had it under control. I thought I could at least maintain my weight without tracking my diet just by being on auto-pilot. But I was wrong. I was in total denial. The scale just kept creeping up & up & up! I knew that if I didn't do something immediately and take it seriously, my weight would become a runaway train. Nobody wants to end up on that show, "My 600 lb. Life". Haha. But then I gained some new motivation.

I had a big birthday coming up and I started a new job. 2018 was a new chapter in my life. I felt energized by everything. I began using the calorie-counting app on my phone, FatSecret. I tracked my daily calories. I like counting calories because even on days where you question if you did enough, it's simple math. You can look and see you are, indeed, on track. Weight fluctuations on the scale mess with your head. I like a more consistent and reliable measurement of where you should be. That's why I say even a little bit goes a long way. For example, 200-300 calories doesn't seem like much. It would be very easy to eat that much in chocolate without realizing it. But withholding even a small amount makes a big difference over time. It's simply a numbers game. Also even if you've had a crappy day, there is always redemption. You could overeat but still pull it way back on dinner. If only you had any idea how many times I've lost control then had to eat low-sodium chicken broth and sugar free Jello for dinner (like a colonoscopy diet, my friend says. lol!) There are always ways to make it work.

I'm still not where I want to be. Everyone says I look good now. I've already had to completely replace my wardrobe. But I think I can do a lot better. I can look at photos of myself now with cringing. I like that. Even though I've already hit one big goal, I'm going to keep moving forward doing the same thing I've been doing. I have no doubts that I can get to where I need to be.

Just keep going, everyone! When you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up. Start fresh the next day. When the good choices outweigh the bad, you're still coming out ahead.

Wow, congrats on the weight lose.  Hopefully you feel better and have more energy now.  Keep it up and good to see you back on TI.  Keep us posted on your progress.

How's it going, Iho? Your last post here was 2 wks. ago. Still on it?

I've had a really hard time the past month! I have been under a lot of stress. I have learned I definitely turn to sweets when I am stressed. My biggest weaknesses are chocolate (Hershey's kisses, Dove, etc.) and cookies, cake, or brownies. I don't care about fried food or greasy, cheesy food. Just give me the sugar and no one gets hurt! I just made these chocolate chip cookies with browned butter and they are great:https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chocolate-chunk-cookies/

Anyway, despite some pretty horrible choices, I still kept my calories in check and maintained my weight, with maybe a tiny 1 lb. loss. But it feels like such a wasted month. I'm glad I didn't GAIN. It could've been so much worse. But I need to do better.

My job was making me miserable so I left. I decided to be more intentional with my time. I need to do something that would force me to be more active and healthy. Because what I've learned about myself is that if I'm not forced to be, I won't be. It also helps to stay busy and pre-occupied. When I am busy, sometimes I forget to eat or I don't have time to eat and that helps a lot. Boredom just leads to snacking. So, I am not afraid to make bigger changes overall that will lead to increased physical health. Thankfully, I have the freedom to do whatever I want or need to do so why not make changes. (Too much freedom can definitely get you into trouble, though, and it has for me. I want to be smart with my time.) I figure with the age I'm at now, my health needs to be way up there in the list of priorities or it will never happen. I'm going to do whatever I have to do to make this work, keep the weightloss, put whatever negativity behind me, and strive towards new goals.

Still going.

I think I've plateaued a bit so according to Mr. Google I should throw in a cheat day or mix up the timing (like USC said).

I don't know how that is supposed to help but I've gotten pretty good at keeping my windows so I don't want to "cheat' only to find it doesn't do anything.

I got a friend of mine to try it, so let's see what happens with them to see if IF really is an effective diet plan.

BTW: I like chocolate, cake and fried greasy cheesy food... I just moderate it... and keep it inside the windows. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Still going.

I think I've plateaued a bit so according to Mr. Google I should throw in a cheat day or mix up the timing (like USC said).

I don't know how that is supposed to help but I've gotten pretty good at keeping my windows so I don't want to "cheat' only to find it doesn't do anything.

I got a friend of mine to try it, so let's see what happens with them to see if IF really is an effective diet plan.

BTW: I like chocolate, cake and fried greasy cheesy food... I just moderate it... and keep it inside the windows. :)

Yeah, mix in a 4/20 fast and a 24 hour fast so you keep your body on its toes.  Then you can try a 3 and 5 day fast.

My suggestion instead of some special diet plans -

1. Eat what you like but not too much at once.
2. Go to gym or parks to take a walk about 15 min every day.
3. Little bit of speed walk is also helpful.
4. Have a cup of warm green tea once a day especially after a fatty meal.
5. Sleep and wake up early.
6. Don't watch TV.

Try this for a month or two and see if you notice the difference. I believe you will.

SoCal said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Then you can try a 3 and 5 day fast.

No carbs, no calories, no cookies, no point in living.

Honestly, once you get used to doing a 24-hour fast (eating once a week) it's not too hard to do a 3 or 5 day water fast.  You'll find that your hunger isn't that high.  It's actually a way to hit the reset button on your body.

Mety said:
My suggestion instead of some special diet plans -

1. Eat what you like but not too much at once.
2. Go to gym or parks to take a walk about 15 min every day.
3. Little bit of speed walk is also helpful.
4. Have a cup of warm green tea once a day especially after a fatty meal.
5. Sleep and wake up early.
6. Don't watch TV.

Try this for a month or two and see if you notice the difference. I believe you will.

I agree with you that good sleep and exercise is important but limiting the number of times you eat during the day and fasting for at least 16 hours between meals really works. I've lost over 40lbs in the past 18 months and have kept it off.  There's another 5-10lbs that I want to lose but that'll take going to the gym to lose.  haha

Back