INFLATION IS OUR FRIEND

teddybear said:
If you?re  going to penny pinch with gas prices, you shouldn?t be buying high end cars. Wasting 30 or more minutes at Costco gas line, lol.

They must not have heard of the expression, "Time is money." If you're really a well off person, then you would realize that your time is more valuable than penny pinching at a 30-minute Costco gas line.

teddybear said:
If you?re  going to penny pinch with gas prices, you shouldn?t be buying high end cars. Wasting 30 or more minutes at Costco gas line, lol.

You severely underestimated the allure of the 4% cashback  ;)

Kenkoko said:
teddybear said:

You severely underestimated the allure of the 4% cashback  ;)

I get 5% off all my gas purchases (including Costco) with my PenFed credit card.  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
Yep... never understood waiting 30 minutes in line to save $3.
$3?  Have you seen the news?  Difference between my nearest costco and my nearest Chevron is $1.05/gal of regular, per the gasbuddy website.  Easily a $15 savings for a lot of people.  Even if it took 30 minutes, that's $30/hour of after tax "discretionary" income, well above median pay in this county.   

daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:
$3?  Have you seen the news?  Difference between my nearest costco and my nearest Chevron is $1.05/gal of regular, per the gasbuddy website.  Easily a $15 savings for a lot of people.  Even if it took 30 minutes, that's $30/hour of after tax "discretionary" income, well above median pay in this county. 

Maybe your Chevron is right next to the freeway? Per GasBuddy app, Costco at Spectrum (Technology Dr.) is $5.29 and Shell on Technology Dr. is $5.55. And these are close to 5.

CalBears96 said:
daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Maybe your Chevron is right next to the freeway? Per GasBuddy app, Costco at Spectrum (Technology Dr.) is $5.29 and Shell on Technology Dr. is $5.55. And these are close to 5.

I laugh my @ss off every time i drive by costco in the district and see folks in brand spanking new Mercedes S class , BMW 7 , Porsche.. waiting in long line at least 20 min just to save freaken 5-10 bucks.  If you penny pinch on sh!t like that, dont be driving $100k cars.  Look so freaken stupid.

CalBears96 said:
It's not even visible from a major street.  $5.99 there, vs $4.94 at Costco.

BlackKnight said:
CalBears96 said:
daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I laugh my @ss off every time i drive by costco in the district and see folks in brand spanking new Mercedes S class , BMW 7 , Porsche.. waiting in long line at least 20 min just to save freaken 5-10 bucks.  If you penny pinch on sh!t like that, dont be driving $100k cars.  Look so freaken stupid.

What makes you think the owner of the car is the one sitting in it waiting to buy gas? Could be "the help". If you didn't think of that possibility, you're probably not of the class that hires others to do menial every day tasks.

daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:

My comment was prior to the recent "Putin Spikes".

Sure... price differences between gas stations and Costco are a lot higher now which is indicative of price gouging and not actual crude oil costs but that's another subject.

But back in "normal" times, the price difference didn't seem like enough to warrant the time investment. If you have a gas rewards program and also cash back card, the difference between a Costco pump and a one that is closer to your house and no line is probably zero. This doesn't even factor in the cost of Costco membership.

I've been a Costco member for years and I've probably used their gas twice? Just not worth it to me... and I'm not a 1%er... maybe that's why... I don't invest the dimes I would save into crypto.

Ready2Downsize said:
BlackKnight said:
CalBears96 said:
daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:

What makes you think the owner of the car is the one sitting in it waiting to buy gas? Could be "the help". If you didn't think of that possibility, you're probably not of the class that hires others to do menial every day tasks.

Say what? Yeah there are lot of rich folks hire people to pump gas at costco to save few bucks. Woweewow. Great logic. 

irvinehomeowner said:
daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:

My comment was prior to the recent "Putin Spikes".

Sure... price differences between gas stations and Costco are a lot higher now which is indicative of price gouging and not actual crude oil costs but that's another subject.

But back in "normal" times, the price difference didn't seem like enough to warrant the time investment. If you have a gas rewards program and also cash back card, the difference between a Costco pump and a one that is closer to your house and no line is probably zero. This doesn't even factor in the cost of Costco membership.

I've been a Costco member for years and I've probably used their gas twice? Just not worth it to me... and I'm not a 1%er... maybe that's why... I don't invest the dimes I would save into crypto.

I go home relatively late from work because I have to commute back to Eastvale, so when I get to the Eastvale Costco at 8:30pm or so, there are very few people at the pumps and it got lots of pumps. But I wouldn't go to the one at Spectrum before heading home.

I have a power hungry 42 foot express with a 375 gallon tank. I drop by Costco with a 25 gallon fill tank every time I pass that way at the beginning of the season. It?s kind of a game and it takes a few weeks but topping off that tank saves me around $600.00.  I think it?s a worthwhile endeavor. ;D ;D >:D

teddybear said:
What gets me are those that driving gas guzzler big ass luxury SUVs and penny pinch at Costco gas.

Yeah, if you're going to penny pinch, then driving a freaking hybrid or something.

CalBears96 said:
morekaos said:
When did I ever specify OC?...doesn't matter, if it in the high $4's now it will be $5 soon enough with oil at $81.51 a barrel today.  Remember...inflation is your friend.
Well, considering this is OC forum. And it just barely reached $4.00.

?and then??

Gas prices nudge EIGHT DOLLARS a gallon in LA as drivers form huge lines outside Costco gas stations nationwide and average prices hit all-time high of $4.25
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Costco-gas-stations-seeking-cheaper-gas.html
https://youtu.be/oqwzuiSy9y0

The focus of most talks seem off to me.

Anyone ever stop to think maybe the problem isn't gas prices going up 75 cents, but the fact that 75 cents is making so many people broke?

Kenkoko said:
The focus of most talks seem off to me.

Anyone ever stop to think maybe the problem isn't gas prices going up 75 cents, but the fact that 75 cents is making so many people broke?
Half the people can save $ on gas by actually not flooring and braking in Irvine Blvd. People literally tailgate you when it turns green and a red light is right after.

Back