IHB Trustee's Sale Auction Field Trip

[quote author="graphrix" date=1217515722]

Actually, I was wrong. There isn't a 10 a.m. auction at the Courthouse. It's someplace else. FWIW, here's today's schedule:

9:30 a.m. - Chapman Ave, Placentia

10 a.m. - Chapman Ave, Placentia

10 a.m. - 8180 E. Kaiser Blvd., Anaheim

11 a.m. - Chapman Ave, Placentia

2 p.m. - County Courthouse, Santa Ana

3 p.m. - 300 E. Chapman Ave, Orange

3 p.m. - County Courthouse, Santa Ana

Got foreclosures?</blockquote>

WOW! I think you need to make a shirt that says that! Anyways thanks for the info, when is the next field trip?

[quote author="graphrix" date=1217515722]We learned a few new things, like how the auctioneer can be authorized to bid up the price on behalf of the beneficiary/bank. Having been to around 10 auctions so far in the last year, this was a first for me, ...</blockquote>

Is it the auctioneer themself or do they have a shill in the audience? Sounds like an immediate standdown reason on the bid.

To me, it was really odd. The guy who was interested in the property bid and then the auctioneer said something along the lines of "I have been instructed by the beneficiary to bid $2,000," or whatever the number was that was higher than what the guy bid. This happened about five times in that particular auction. Then the bidder just gave up, and it went back to the bank.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1217560085]To me, it was really odd. The guy who was interested in the property bid and then the auctioneer said something along the lines of "I have been instructed by the beneficiary to bid $2,000," or whatever the number was that was higher than what the guy bid. This happened about five times in that particular auction. Then the bidder just gave up, and it went back to the bank.</blockquote>

For most auctions that not quite kosher.... They generally have a reserve price tag and if it doesn't make it, it doesn't get sold. No need to bid up....

-bix

I called one of the "regulars" (Ed B.) for clarification on what was happening yesterday.

He explained that in most cases (for most lenders) the bank will open up at the reserve price, and if no bidders, back to the bank it goes...

He explained that with some lenders, they open the bidding at $1000 to get people registered (each must show the auctioneer the proof of funds on the spot before bidding) and attempt to get people up to the reserve price and above.

What was cumbersome about yesterday's exercise was that typically, the "regular" auctioneer was not working and his replacement was working very slowly, inching up the scale $1K at a time. The (nominal) advantage for the lender is that they may be able to take back the home at a low price, and in theory, write down the loss at that time, reporting a profit on the sale later. Usually, though, if there is decent bidding activity, the experienced auctioneer brings the price up to the reserve amount quickly/immediately to speed up the process and get through the long list of homes on the docket.

The end result is a process not too unlike Ebay, I suppose.

The notable exception is, of course, that in a very quick manner the monotonous drone of a sale of each parcel represents someone's home being taken from them, not at all a light matter. I think that sunk in with a few that were there, who mentioned it to me...

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1217543904][quote author="tenmagnet" date=1217476463]What makes you think your time is any more valuable than mine?

My questions were answered and I expressed gratitude to those like Graph and IR2 who responded.

It was a great thread that led to a field trip invitation to observe the whole process first hand.

What?s utterly ridiculous is that steppin? up and some others are afraid of asking a question or commenting fearing your response.

Last time I checked, IHB is a community where we all come together to learn and interact with each other.</blockquote>

I don't think my time is more valuable than yours. I think it is <em>equally</em> valuable, which is why I don't understand why asking someone to take 10 minutes to look up an answer is so heinous if it's also going to take someone else 10 minutes to re-respond to the question. You may also wish to re-read Stepping's comments prior to relying on them to illustrate your point. Taken as a whole, they don't say what you seem to think they said. If people fear "We have discussed this before; try the search function to find your answer," then I'm going to quit my job and conquer the world with my stare. I will admit to being perfunctory on occasion, but I'm certainly not rude about it.</blockquote>

Eva, you are right on here. I was curious that day about how to look up what was scheduled for auction on a particular day. However, I knew I had seen this posted elsewhere in the past. It was not a need to know for me. If it was, I would have attempted the search button because the info was there. Because I was just curious and busy that day, I was hoping for the easy answer.

Frankly, I was surprised by how quickly there were responses to Ten's questions about how the auction process works as this is something that has been discussed considerably. Not to be mean or rude, but I thought they were awfully ignorant questions from someone who reads this blog. I guess if the topic isn't women, Ten, luxury goods, Ten, being cool, Ten, etc... then perhaps he doesn't read them.

What's really driving me to post this is his absolute arrogance in taking credit for the field trip. OK, he can be amusing at times and I know some of the senior members have said that at one point in time he actually asked and posted some intelligent things, but frankly I find this dismissing of Eva's point and defending it with "well, look at how cool and awesome I was, had it not been for MY question, this field trip never would have happened" truly appalling. I think Ten owes Eva an apology for the disrespect he's shown her.

I'm also annoyed that all the senior guys are so enamored by this character that none have let him know that it was a total faux pas to accuse Eva of being patronizing. She is a very valuable contributor here.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1217515722]It was an interesting day down at the auction. It was good to see some regular IHBers and some new ones. Including one who wouldn't give his screen name but his (maybe) real name. Skek and I have bet going on whether it was Ten or Panda, and I say panda.

There were 189 properties scheduled for today at one time or another. So many were postponed and quite a few were postponed. They announce the postponements and cancellations before the auction begins, so the auction didn't get started until 2:45. Only about 50 were actually auctioned, 2 of which sold, one being <a href="http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=63096478">241 Coral Rose</a> that sold for $430k. Not bad, seeing as how in 2005 it sold for $662,500.

We learned a few new things, like how the auctioneer can be authorized to bid up the price on behalf of the beneficiary/bank. Having been to around 10 auctions so far in the last year, this was a first for me, so it was good to learn something new. After the bidding stopped at around $150k, the bank took it back for that, but the real minimum was discovered to be $309k. Thanks dumb a$$ bank for wasting everyones time, I hope by the time you get around to marketing it and actually selling it it goes for $150k. Maybe the banks are just delaying the process to actually have their unrealized loss become a realized loss this way. Morons. I also got confirmation that there is another auction held there at 3pm, with one at 10am as well. So... you have three auctions at one location and two more auctions at two other locations a day now. Damn... that's a bunch of foreclosures.

It was a good experience, and I am sure it helped those with questions fell better about the process. Maybe I will see some of you there again.</blockquote>

In case you were referring to me as the "undisclosed" blogger, I did mention my screen name, but perhaps you didn't hear me since there were 2 simultaneous auctions at the time. But I rarely post, unlike Ten or Panda, so my screen name would have little significance (plus Chicago is a long way for Panda to come from for an auction). So in the spirit of contributing, some of my thoughts:

The first thing that struck me was the whole informality of the auction, it was actually held outside of the main entrance of the building, with participants standing around the auctioneer who was reading from a stack of papers who you had to strain to hear. The first 45 minutes was non-valuable reading off of postponed or cancelled auctions. Once she got into the auctions, one had just a few seconds to bid before the "going once, going twice, gone". Basically a formality until the handful that the qualified buyers/investors came to bid on came up. In one of these actual bids, one bidder was bidding "pus 1 cent" and another was bidding "plus $100" until the auctioneer finally told them to do the math before bidding. During the hour and half I was there, I observed about 20-25 properties auctioned off, 3-4 actively bid by investors with only 1 actually going to an investor, and the rest going back to the banks. When the 2 pm auction ran late, the 3 pm auctioneer came in and starting barking off his auctions across the pavilion about 15 feet away. What a circus!

I have learned a great deal from this blog, and it has been a major factor in me not buying in this market since returning to Irvine last Sept from an overseas assignment, despite having my firm cover my closing costs, a benefit that is going to expire next month. The only way I could justify buying this summer was to buy at least 15% below market value (i.e. REOs), or about 6-12 months ahead of the current equity burn curve. Speaking of equity burn, I came across a recent appraisal (June '08) where the appraiser factored in 2% per month (24% a year!) of declining value when comparing against recent sales. So I recently bid (and won) on a listed REO at a price >35% below the peak price and about 12% below market value and I still decided to walk - it was one of the first of many REOs to eventually hit this distressed development so unlikely that 12% was enough cushion to the bottom, plus the house was stripped by the previous owner before their eviction. For now, I'm content to continue to rent a 3 BR SFR in Westpark for $2500/month (hopefully my fliplord continues to renegotiate his teaser rates and taxes to hang in there despite being 10-15% underwater).

[quote author="OC Returnee" date=1217609831]Speaking of equity burn, I came across a recent appraisal (June '08) where the appraiser factored in 2% per month (24% a year!) of declining value when comparing against recent sales. </blockquote>

That is a very helpful data point. Thank you.

To anyone else who is curious about the auction, I would really encourage you to go. They are held out in the open, you don't need to check in or announce your presence. I think enough curious people show up now that it is no big deal for people to see spectators (not that I think there ever was). So feel free to go and watch. No one will give a fig if you're there. In fact, for those people for whom Wedneday's auction was your first, I would suggest going again in about a week or so. As IR2 noted, the auctioneer that time was not the "regular" one and the process was slower and a little more difficult to get a grasp of as a result. (Note to the auctioneer: pro-JECT!) Don't know where the regular guy was, but assuming he was on vacation, I would suggest going when he gets back. Or try the 3 pm auction, or any of the others at other locations.

But what happened at the auction?

Sorry was on the first page of the thread & didn't see there was a 2nd page.

Sounds just like the sales I have attended on behalf of the Bank years ago

in Miami. Except now they have the sales inside.

Once someone was going up in 100 dollar increments, and someone else got

bored and bid up quite a lot, just to get things going. Everybody stopped and

the guy said, no, no, no, I didn't mean it, was just trying to speed things up,

and they ignored the bid.

Calculated Risk has a post on the foreclosure auction today...

<a href="http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/2008/08/lenders-change-tactics-now-discounting.html">Lenders Change Tactics, Now Discounting at Foreclosure Sale</a>

Here is the YouTube video he posted on what it is like.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

Uber exciting, huh?

[quote author="graphrix" date=1217648434]Calculated Risk has a post on the foreclosure auction today...

</blockquote>

Great article thanks for the link.

Interesting comments, IR even weighed in.

Seems like even if you managed to buy at the courthouse auction, putting a mortgage on it poses a problem.

Wow, the demeanor of the auctioneer is certainly an eye opener. The tone made me expect to hear "you have the right to remain silent, everything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law...." The body language was like, "I gotta do this, but I'd rather be somewhere else."

Back