ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
I think morekaos posted something similar about abandoned EVs.

Those are the cheap crappy ones like Yugos of the ICE world.

I'm talking about the newer high end ones like the Zeekr minivan that zovall posted.
Yah…not the crappy Yugo EV’s like IHO thinks…I use the “Doomed” term a lot but looks like “Disaster” is the operative word today to describe the collapsing EV market…👎🏽😂😂😂🦄🌈

Electric car disaster as EU ports fill up with 100,000s of Chinese models no one wants

Chinese EV companies have aggressively targeted European markets as they look to take advantage of the EU's green agenda.

Major EU ports are almost full to capacity with Chinese electric vehicles (EVs) that no one wants to buy. A slump in sales across Europe has caused parking lots at the Belgian ports of Antwerp and Zeebrugge to fill up with the Chinese imports.

The parking lots are each able to accommodate about 130,000 vehicles and are crammed full of MGs, BYDs, Nios, XPengs, Lynk & Cos, Omodas and Hongqis, among others.

EV sales in March slumped by 11.3 percent overall across the EU, with purchases in Germany down by as much as 28.9 percent.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...lectric-cars-antwerp-zeebrugge?int_source=nba

Young children are trained to stop, look and listen before they cross the street. In the electric car age, parents might want to put extra emphasis on the word “listen.”

Pedestrians are twice as likely to be hit by an electric or hybrid car than by a vehicle that runs on gasoline or diesel, according to a study released Tuesday by researchers in London.

While crash statistics aren’t yet robust enough to reach scientific conclusions on the reasons, the researchers hypothesize that the relatively quiet operations of an electric vehicle is the key factor. Pedestrians in noisy urban areas were almost three times as likely to be hit by an electric or hybrid car.

Lead researcher Phil J. Edwards at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine told The Times the study is not intended to be anti-EV. “Electric cars are definitely a thing for the future. They are a wonderful way to reduce air pollution,” he said. “But we must mitigate the danger” to pedestrians. EV drivers “need to be extra cautious of pedestrians.”

The study: https://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2024/05/01/jech-2024-221902

Plans to phase out fossil fuel-powered internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles and to replace these with electric and hybrid-electric (E-HE) vehicles represent a historic step to reduce air pollution and address the climate emergency. However, there are concerns that E-HE cars are more hazardous to pedestrians, due to being quieter. We investigated and compared injury risks to pedestrians from E-HE and ICE cars in urban and rural environments.

Just what I thought. MK was right and you were wrong, despite trying to twist his comments to show otherwise.
Nice hypocrisy coming from someone who tries to twist my words every chance he gets (creepy).

BTW the high end Tesla Model S and Y start below $100k and morekaos himself posted how you can get "Everyman Teslas" for $30k from Hertz (you can also get a new Leaf for $30k, see post by SGIP).

Let me know when you have something of value to add to this conversation.

I always find it interesting when people try to talk about subjects they have little experience with... like Irvine real estate, EV technology and EV prices.

China's cheap EVs are causing concern but they may never make it to the US.

But to no surprise, Gen Z wouldn't mind driving one:

For the survey, AutoPacific queried 800 people from ages 18 to 80. From that survey, the group learned that about 36% of all users surveyed said they’d “definitely” or “maybe” consider a Chinese-branded EV. Still, that number skyrockets to a whopping 76% when we only look at the data for buyers below the age of 40. Millennials and Gen Z are very much open to a Chinese-branded EV.

Why do you think TikTok is so popular... they don't care.

morekaos himself posted how you can get "Everyman Teslas" for $30k from Hertz (you can also get a new Leaf for $30k, see post by SGIP).
Hertz is not a seller of new Teslas, and the new Leaf is not a Tesla at all, so this is an example of moving the goalposts since MK has quite clearly proven you wrong.

Blah blah blah... he didn't say new or used.

And he moved the goalposts... he originally talked about $30k EVs period... not just Tesla (and I showed him otherwise), also he generally referred to all EVs as overpriced which is not the case. But you wouldn't know because you are just sticking in your nose without being aware of the history.

And to further prove your lack of knowledge, there were new Tesla RWD Model 3s available for $30k.

Keep proving that the only wrong person here is you.

Want to try to predict pain for Irvine housing again? You'll be right one day.

When did the high end Teslas drop below $100k?
The Model S and Model X are the high end Teslas and they started under $100k since they debuted (2012 for Model S, 2015 for Model X). Certain performance trims have started above $100k at various times but currently start under $100k.

Since 8/31/2023, the high performance Model S Plaid starting price has been below $90k
Since 8/31/2023, the high performance Model X Plaid starting price has been below $95k

When did the Everyman Teslas drop below $30k?
I don't think any new Tesla has yet been priced below $30k

Show me in the quote I posted about Everyman $30k Teslas where he said new or used.

Read better.
C’mon IHO..you know what I meant…when I made those comments there really was no “used car” market…all EV’s were basically new. Don’t Clinton out “Depends on the meaning of “is””🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂🦄🌈

Not in in the quoted statement I posted. That was 2023 and there were not only used $30k EVs but also new ones. And if you recall, long before that we were talking any $35k EVs (not just Tesla) and I mentioned the Bolt.

And technically, even back before then there was a used EV market... you forget how long other EVs have been out.

zovall even confirmed that the high end Teslas were all under $100k even over 10 years ago.

Let's just admit that you (and at least one other) don't really know the history and pricing of EVs.

You uses affordability as an argument as to why people wouldn't buy them (even though they did) and then once they become affordable then you pivot to waning demand.

You and LL still can't even win with a double team...so sad.

And while EVs are not continuing at the torrid pace of last year, they are still growing:

Although the growth was slight in March, the EV share of the light vehicle market grew from 6.8% to 7.1%.

For the first three months of the year, electric vehicle registrations were up 5.2% (264,268), with a 6.9% share of the market.

Yah…market acceptance and uptake is on the rise…quick!...run into the light!...everyone is basking in the utopian EV futu…wait what?....🌈😂😂😂😂🌈🦄

Freewire Technologies on the verge of terminating operations

The EV charging supplier, which works with Chevron, Phillips 66 and other c-store retailers, is seeking funding amid financial challenges.

• Electric vehicle charging supplier Freewire Technologies is scheduled to permanently close its headquarters and terminate its employees on June 24, according to a recent Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification filed in California.
  • The company, which has worked with convenience retailers like Chevron, Phillips 66 and Loop Neighborhood Market, is seeking “additional capital” as it hopes to continue growing, a Freewire spokesperson said in a statement to C-Store Dive.
  • Freewire’s financial struggles coincide with those of Tesla. The supercharging firm and electric vehicle maker helmed by Elon Musk laid off over 10% of its staff last month, including much of its charging arm, amid declining sales.
https://www.cstoredive.com/news/freewire-technologies-near-terminating-operations/715981/#:~:text=Electric vehicle charging supplier Freewire,Retraining Notification filed in California.

The Inflation Creation Act is a job creating Juggernaut… Stand aside Keynesians….We got ya…wait, What?...🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂🦄🌈

Luxury Electric Vehicle Maker Becomes Latest in Industry to Announce Huge Layoffs

Electric vehicle (EV) maker Lucid Motors announced that the company would be laying off staff in a bid to lower expenses amid a slowdown in the market.

The layoffs will affect 6% of its workforce, equating to around 400 employees, and will trim from all employee levels, including leadership and mid-level management, according to a filing submitted Friday with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Lucid is one of several EV makers to announce layoffs in recent months as consumers decline to adopt the product at the rate expected.

https://thelibertydaily.com/luxury-electric-vehicle-maker-becomes-latest-industry-announce/

You and LL still can't even win with a double team...so sad.
At this point EV's just seem like a niche product. The uniqueness and and cool factor have worn off. So if EV's are going to have a lasting presence they need to be practical and solve the problems of day-to-day drivers better than ICE or hybrid.

When virtue signalling collides with reality, the results are amazing:

😂😂😂 like I’ve always said, when you mandate unreasonable things, people find a way to cheat, and it cost twice as much because they have to pay for both an electric and an ash belching diesel engine…😂😂😂😂🦄🌈

The new fire trucks come with a hefty price tag – 40% to 50% more than a comparable diesel fire truck. For example, the New Mexico hybrid fire truck that has been ordered costs the local government $1.8 million with $400,000 coming from a federal grant.

Last edited:
Back