ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
At this point EV's just seem like a niche product. The uniqueness and and cool factor have worn off. So if EV's are going to have a lasting presence they need to be practical and solve the problems of day-to-day drivers better than ICE or hybrid.
Again... no experience so no knowledge of their practicality and problems they have solved.

If you had read this thread (and not just my posts but the posts of others who drive EVs), EVs have quite a few benefits over a gas vehicle which I will reiterate again to help with your reading skills:

1. If you have home charging available, you will not have to go to a gas pump or a public charger ever... charges overnight (even on Level 1 120v) if you have moderate daily commutes. Longer commutes would require Level 2 charging but electrons still cheaper than gas especially if you have TOU rates or solar.

2. Lower maintenance: Zero oil changes and lower brake maintenance.

3. Instant torque and acceleration

4. Technology usually more advanced in EVs vs ICE counterparts such as in-car apps, security, remote controls etc.

As infrastructure, range and charging speed improve, EVs will be a better all around transportation solution. For local commuting, EVs already are.

irrelevant, no one is buying them and their market is now saturated. Like I’ve said for a long time, early adopters and people who wanted them already own them there isn’t anyone elseπŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ¦„πŸŒˆ
IMG_2573.png

So are they affordable or no one is buying them? Stop moving your goalposts.

I just posted an article where EV registrations are still growing although slower than the past.

Ford EV sales plummeted 11%. Whatever you may define as affordable is irrelevant no one is buying these things. Face facts, momentum swing is to the negative, companies are losing billions every month. The outlook is not Rosy, read something other than a rah rah publication like electric. πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ¦„πŸŒˆ

Last edited:
Ford EV sales plummeted 11%.
I guess it depends on what timeline you are looking at:

Hyundai and Ford see EV registrations surge​

Hyundai and Ford strengthened their positions in March as EV registrations accelerated. Ford had triple-digit EV registration growth, claiming the number two spot.

Driven by drastic price cuts, Ford sold 20,223 electric vehicles in the first quarter, up 86% from Q1 2023. The Mustang Mach-E was the second best-selling electric SUV, behind Tesla’s Model Y.

Total EV registrations are still up... hasn't gone negative yet but like all new tech... eggs have to break to make the omelette.

Smart phones didn't take off until Apple jumped in... and now look at how many streaming services are out? Cable is like ICE.. old technology (and by the way, cable companies are jumping into the streaming space just like ICE OEMs).

And looks like Ford is opening up its EV dealer program by lowering requirements:

While that could be a sign of slowing demand, it also shows Ford's commitment to an EV future.

Keep your head in the sand so you can't pretend it's not happening. πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

oh contereβ€™β€¦πŸ€¦πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Last month, Ford sold 4,674 all-electric vehicles, 11% less than a year ago and the lowest level since April 2023. That's also just 3.2% of the brand's total volume (compared to 5-6% in late 2023).
Ford orders all its dealers to β€˜halt EV program investments' as company reviews changes

Andrew Frick, Ford Blue President, said: "We don't want them to make any decisions between now and the middle of June when you can maybe have a more informed decision-making process based off what we work out with council in the next few weeks," Teslaratireports.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...1&cvid=1ea80dd2789348d58c79766c866600e2&ei=10

Uh... read my article, they talked about that... that's why they halted it to issue changes to the program so that all dealers could participate.

So embarrassing for you.

Uh... read my article, they talked about that... that's why they halted it to issue changes to the program so that all dealers could participate.

So embarrassing for you.
Find a better source than just biased rah-rah Electrek. Do you read anything else? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Ford and the others have realized their mistake and are trying to correct. For that I give them some credit.πŸ«‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ¦„πŸŒˆ

Odd thing... I'm considering a used car purchase and went on Doug DeMuro's "Cars and Bids" auction website. What kind of vehicle is selling most often there?

Rivian.

Currently there are 3 listings, but 300 sold units over the last 24 months. Most of the units have 200-900 miles on the odometer. Strange to see (as I believe) Rivian using this Cars and Bids to resell units - not Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, on on a Rivian branded site.

Cars&Bids is more like a flipper site.

Those are probably Rivian owners trying to cash in on their early reservation prices and break even or make something.

Those shouldn't be Rivian owned models.

I have a feeling that we're going to get very long range hybrids this decade.

The BYD hybrid with a 50-mile battery really is ideal for daily commute. Not many people do more than 50 mile round trip daily commute. And the fact that it's a hybrid that can do 1250 miles on one charge and one fill completely removes the range anxiety. I mean, even the regular hybrid plug-ins won't have range anxiety, but the BYD hybrid is really great with the 50-mile battery.

Odd thing... I'm considering a used car purchase and went on Doug DeMuro's "Cars and Bids" auction website. What kind of vehicle is selling most often there?

Rivian.

Currently there are 3 listings, but 300 sold units over the last 24 months. Most of the units have 200-900 miles on the odometer. Strange to see (as I believe) Rivian using this Cars and Bids to resell units - not Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, on on a Rivian branded site.
People were flipping them hard during the pandemic, prices have cooled off a lot. The time of reselling R1S/T for $100K+ are gone for good...

The BYD hybrid with a 50-mile battery really is ideal for daily commute. Not many people do more than 50 mile round trip daily commute. And the fact that it's a hybrid that can do 1250 miles on one charge and one fill completely removes the range anxiety. I mean, even the regular hybrid plug-ins won't have range anxiety, but the BYD hybrid is really great with the 50-mile battery.
Not so fast.
Actual testing shows the MPG is about 44 miles per gallon driving at 75 miles highway speed.

Why go halfway unless you really need that over 300 mile range regularly?

The problem with PHEVs and hybrids is you still have to deal with the issues of an ICE engine.

EVs are not just about climate or green signaling... less maintenance and pollution (noise and home) are valuable.

Back