ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Driving 100 Miles in an EV Is Now More Expensive Than in an ICE​

However, a recent report from the Anderson Economic Group (AEG) found that fueling costs from mid-priced ICE-powered vehicles are lower than similarly priced electric vehicles. Combustion drivers pay about $11.29 per 100 miles on the road. EV drivers who charge up at home spend about $11.60 per 100 miles. The price difference is more dramatic for those who mainly recharge at stations. Frequent charging station users pay $14.40 per 100 miles.

I suspect as more people get EV's, we're going to see more fights between people waiting to use charging stations.

Ya I think you need solar and charge at home to make it worthwhile. January is our first month with an EV and our electric bill was about $80 with solar and drove 1,100 miles.

Ya I think you need solar and charge at home to make it worthwhile. January is our first month with an EV and our electric bill was about $80 with solar and drove 1,100 miles.
That is a good point…how much did that whole thing cost? (Vehicle, in home charger and solar system)

Isn’t using a charging station around town an inefficient way to fill up if you can cause ge at home? I can see using a fast charging station as a one off but routinely doesn’t seem to make much sense. That would be like me having my own gas pump at home and then going to fill up down the street

At least teslas don’t run on natural gas. Then for sure it would cost more to recharge to a “full tank” than regular gas. My socal gas bill is going to be almost $600 next month. In the summer it’s like $60. Crazy.
I think my December bill was 3x last year.

EVs are not for everyone... just like cars weren't for everyone.

But as we move to electrification... technology and infrastructure should get to the point where everyone can use it... but probably not in my lifetime.

Superfast charging is really only for long/road trips. Most EVs will be local commuters and charge at home or work.

I know a few people who don't even charge at home... they charge 2 or 3 times at work.

ICE will still be around for a long time, even with the bans... those will get pushed or skirted for many years.

That is a good point…how much did that whole thing cost? (Vehicle, in home charger and solar system)
I tell my wife it’s It’s very expensive to save money these days...
Solar panels were $28k but I put down $8k then I’ll get it back via tax credit when I file (30% credit). 12 year loan at 170ish per month through some clean energy credit union which is close to my average electric bill so it works out. Long break even but I haven’t had any SCE bill since I installed in June 22.

Model Y LR was 60k (got screwed by Tesla buying in late Dec before the Jan price drops) but my wife is driving a lot more due to job change and we like the car and it’s fun to drive being our first EV. Her old car felt like it was about to have a lot of issues around 70k miles and already in the shop a couple times over the last month.

It’s inconvient using the weekends for oil changes and intermediate service then I hate the calls where they tell you that you need new brakes, something else is failing yadda yadda. It seemed like $800 every time I took it for an oil change.

Won’t miss not having to deal with that nonsense.

Haven't we been down this road before.

My solar is a decade plus old. You the California tax payer paid for 80% of it. Up until we bought the EV, we had a negative bill and got a rebate annually, with the EV, we used it all but used California tax payer energy conservation programs to take home checks around $2500 a year. Which paid the small incremental net metering true up.

Finally, over the last couple years, they've modified the net metering program and neutered the energy conservation program such that my annual electric bill true up for my entire year of household energy use plus the entire energy year of car charging amounts four fill up at Costco of my Odyssey. Or about what my electric bill would run in July and August previously before rates went up 100%.

The car charger was $400, installation and conversion of the breaker with a certified electrician was $500.

We have, to some degree, but let’s strip out all the subsidies and look at the overall raw cost. You’ve eliminated one bill, SCE, but you’ve gained another one paying off the solar. The actual (not mythical $30k mass producers Everyman car) monthly car cost im sure isn’t cheap and the inevitable higher insurance costs. The upfront $1000 to $2000 panel and charge system upgrade. The significant increase in time to fuel and inconvenience of range anxiety. Then inevitable battery replacement costs from $10,000 and up. We are the fortunate few on this board, the 1% who can probably afford or are willing to put up with such trivialities. The masses can’t, and won’t, or as IHO said, “not in our lifetime”, if ever.

Last edited:
I only use Supercharger when battery gets below 30% to take advantage of free 10k Supercharger miles. So far I’ve only used it 3 or 4 times. Most of the other times, I just charge at home using my 4kw solar system during super off peak hours. I set my charger to 10A so that it consumes electricity generated by solar system. It’s good enough to cover most of my daily driving activities.

Attachments

• 667F3AA2-28B7-4294-9D12-A6C2B53D219F.jpeg
    667F3AA2-28B7-4294-9D12-A6C2B53D219F.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 7
I forgot about all the charge subsidies and free charge plans. Knock those out too. And for arguments sake go ahead and knock out all of the oil company and petroleum subsidies. They will still drill for oil, and do you know why? Because it is profitable without any government intervention. Chevron just raised its dividend for the umpteenth time in a row. Follow the dollars.

I only use Supercharger when battery gets below 30% to take advantage of free 10k Supercharger miles. So far I’ve only used it 3 or 4 times. Most of the other times, I just charge at home using my 4kw solar system during super off peak hours. I set my charger to 10A so that it consumes electricity generated by solar system. It’s good enough to cover most of my daily driving activities.
My Enphase app doesn’t show the amount consumed (while on energy section), just produced. That would be handy? Did you change that in the settings somehow? Can’t find it.

My Enphase app doesn’t show the amount consumed (while on energy section), just produced. That would be handy? Did you change that in the settings somehow? Can’t find it.
He meant he set his Tesla charging to 10A. I set mine to 18A, which would take about 4.4kW. My solar system could produce about 4.5kW at 9am and increases to 6.4kW at peak hours (11am to 1pm) and back down to 4.5kW at 2pm. I set the M3 to start charging at 9am on the days that my wife works from home.

You’ll need to install consumption meter which costs around $45.

Back