ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

This might be a better indicator of where people are looking.

Just to clarify:

ICE is an internal combustion engine vehicle so anything that runs on gas or diesel.

EV is a battery electric vehicle that needs to be charges and has no combustion engine.

PHEV is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle that has both a battery and a combustion engine that you can run on electric only, gas or a combination of both.

Hybrid is a gas motor that charges the electric motor system and provide propulsion via both types of motors depending on the setup.

Unicorn or dinosaur?

Since we haven't got the Model 3 yet, technically, my next car will be an EV.

If we end up getting the Cielo 1/3 and get a driveway, I will probably keep the Prius Prime for my son. In that case, the next car we'll purchase will be another EV.

Basically, I'm going all EV, but I will keep a PHEV just for long trips.

I'm not going to lie... one of the next vehicles we will probably buy is an ICE because my kid really wants a non-EV sports car.

But any for ourselves will be an EV (my preference) or a PHEV (her preference).

When I was shopping for a sedan few years back, I looked into EV but found that my garage dryer outlet is 110v for gas dryer, not 240v.  I have an older home with detached garage positioned on the opposite side of the electric panel from main house.  I wasn't sure what gauge wire I have running from the panel to the garage, but the panel was already full and couldn't accommodate another double pole breaker.

So I went shopping for a Lexus 300h hybrid but nobody would give me a discount, and ended up buying an ES 350 used for $16K.  With recent rise in used car prices I could actually sell it and get my money back, lol.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not going to lie... one of the next vehicles we will probably buy is an ICE because my kid really wants a non-EV sports car.

I really like the new C8 vette, and I'm available for adoption.  Just sayin'.

3 months in by M3 Performance is the greatest car I have ever owned or driven but my wife is not into it so her next car will be an ICE Macan

OCtoSV said:
3 months in by M3 Performance is the greatest car I have ever owned or driven but my wife is not into it so her next car will be an ICE Macan

I love my Macan GTS but the $100+ fill ups not so much.  I'm actually looking forward to the new EV Macan that's coming.  I'll wait to buy it in the 2nd model year so they have time to take care of the gremlins.

$100 is nothing for a baller like you right? Unless it is also your work car

USCTrojanCPA said:
OCtoSV said:

I love my Macan GTS but the $100+ fill ups not so much.  I'm actually looking forward to the new EV Macan that's coming.  I'll wait to buy it in the 2nd model year so they have time to take care of the gremlins.

Practical discussion, my kid is three years from driving lessons.

Now, what car do I target for me to be a hand me down for him to shuttle 1.5 miles to the school parking lot?

I?m leaning towards a Pedego.

nosuchreality said:

Now, what car do I target for me to be a hand me down for him to shuttle 1.5 miles to the school parking lot?

Kids are all over ebikes now... they don't even pedal them.. so basically just electric mopeds. And 2 to a bike too... at the speeds they are going... someone is going to get a hurt real bad.

We got our kid a cheap EV... best decision ever... they don't ask for gas money and they can't run away farther than a 240 mi radius. :)

Ford F-150 lightening for a show off car.

nosuchreality said:

The California Court Company said:
$100 is nothing for a baller like you right? Unless it is also your work car

USCTrojanCPA said:
OCtoSV said:

The Macan is the work car and I drive a lot as a realtor so mileage is deductible.  I traded in my 2021 Macan for a my 2022 Macan after 16 months with 35k on the clock (I don't want to have daily driven Porsche out of warranty). 

nosuchreality said:

If you can find a Lightning.

And it's actually looks just like a regular truck... hard to tell the EV version apart from the ICE F-150 unless you know what design cues to spot.

It's not as obvious as a Rivian... or the "is it every going to come out?" Cybertruck.

if the kid is a boy, he just needs a fast car.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXW8_h6cvUo

irvinehomeowner said:

nosuchreality said:

If you can find a Lightning.

And it's actually looks just like a regular truck... hard to tell the EV version apart from the ICE F-150 unless you know what design cues to spot.

It's not as obvious as a Rivian... or the "is it every going to come out?" Cybertruck.

Although charging stations are becoming easier to find, the mere fact that we aren't producing additional power generation stations means Soylent Red's new car will likely be a Hybrid. At least if the power does go kaput, you can still toodle around using fossil fuels.

/me waits patiently for used Rolls Royce Ghost to drop below $50k in future.

Last edited:
So while I?m driving away from the tsunami in my bronco. You?ll be underwater and on fire, ouch! ;D ;D >:D

Battling fires from water-damaged EVs 'ties up resources' in Hurricane Ian recovery, Florida fire dept says

According to Hammond, a typical car fire requires one tank of water and less than an hour to safely put out, while EV fires require much more effort.

"They take up to two hours to cool the batteries, to keep them out of a runaway situation," the assistant fire chief explained. "And in some cases where we don't have a water source, we have to just secure the area and let them burn because we can't get enough water to them."
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technol...hurricane-ian-recovery-florida-fire-dept-says

Of course it can…just add a snorkel. Your EV will be exploding in an unquenchable fire when it gets wet…

Flooded Tesla EVs From Hurricane Ian Exploding All Over Florida

In the aftermath of the devastating Hurricane Ian in Florida, things are going from bad to worse. The destruction is massive, and also ongoing. That’s because even though the hurricane occurred over a week ago, its after-effects are mounting. These include the instances of Tesla EVs exploding into flames around the state. The mixture of electricity and salt water leads to these latent fires.

EV fires have always posed problems for firefighters. The energy stored in the batteries doesn’t dissipate over time. “So you have the stored energy in the batteries,” Stephen Gollan with Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue told News Nation. “Just because the vehicle is submerged doesn’t mean the energy is discharged in any way. Anytime you mix electrical components and salt water together, it is a recipe for disaster.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...ne-ian-exploding-all-over-florida/ar-AA12LMP6

Add a snorkel? How long does that take? A Tesla can drive through almost 5 feet of water for half an hour without any modification.

Your article is based on the assumption of abandoned Teslas but you were talking about driving away from the hurricane. Stay on topic.

Back