ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Cost of insurance is significantly higher also…🤦🏽‍♂️🫰🏽😂😂🦄🌈

That shiny new electric car you bought will cost more to insure — here's why​

The latest estimate from NerdWallet said the national average cost of car insurancestands at about $2,148 per year. Meanwhile, the same for EVs is $2,280 annually, according to a Forbes Advisor analysis. That could mean average annual premiums of $1,830 for a Chevrolet Bolt or $4,066 for a Tesla Model S, says financial services company Bankrate. Tesla car insurancecosts more than any other electric car: The average cost to insure the company's cheapest model, the Tesla Model 3, is $2,503.

What? $150 more in insurance? But saving at least $2000 in gas... you don't say? And save even more money in maintenance?

Oh... but you have to spend more in tires.

Nothing burger mongering.

What? $150 more in insurance? But saving at least $2000 in gas... you don't say? And save even more money in maintenance?

Oh... but you have to spend more in tires.

Nothing burger mongering.
Costco gives good insurance rates on Teslas. ;)

And spending more on tires is a bunch of crap.

That’s all well and good for those who can afford these overpriced behemoth, but for the average guy, 100 extra bucks a month for insurance, new tires every so often, $2000 for charging infrastructure at their apartment building and the risk of time and distance on charging outside the apartment and the total collapse of a secondary market….these bricks just aren’t practical for the every man. You rich guys can have fun with your toys though, as long as we don’t have to subsidize your purchase.🫰🏽😂😂😂🤷🏽🦄🌈

Last edited:
Your internet connected EVs would lose one of their best features. Try to stop an old ICE car from going 60 in a 55…😂😂😂😂

Sorry, speeders: New bill would require speed-limiting devices in California cars

“There’s no reason why people should routinely be allowed to drive more than 10 miles per hour above the speed limit,” Wiener said in an interview with The Times. “You can want whatever you want. But that doesn’t mean you’re allowed to do it and that doesn’t mean you should be physically able to do it.”

That’s all well and good for those who can afford these overpriced behemoth, but for the average guy, 100 extra bucks a month for insurance, new tires every so often, $2000 for charging infrastructure at their apartment building and the risk of time and distance on charging outside the apartment and the total collapse of a secondary market….these bricks just aren’t practical for the every man. You rich guys can have fun with your toys though, as long as we don’t have to subsidize your purchase.🫰🏽😂😂😂🤷🏽🦄🌈
You can't read and you can't do math.

Read your own post... Insurance is not $100 more per month.

So bent on being right is making you look bad. And you're the one with a boat..

and that insurance is just going to keep going up….😂😂😂😂🦄🌈

Teslas crash more than gas-powered cars.​

CNN —
Hertz recently announced it was selling 20,000 electric cars out of its fleet, and replacing them with gasoline vehicles. One reason the company gave was that drivers kept crashing the cars.

Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr noted that the costs of repairs of an electric vehicle are also much higher. And Hertz’s step back from EV sales indicate a broader problem for the EV industry. Researchers at LexisNexis Risk Solutions looking at insurance data have found that, evidently, rental car drivers aren’t the only ones having issues keeping EVs in one piece.

Costco gives good insurance rates on Teslas. ;)

And spending more on tires is a bunch of crap.
…not so Joe…🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂💩🦄🌈

Florida Drivers Discover Hard Truth About EVs: They Eat Tires

At EV Garage Miami, a Sweetwater repair shop that services 90 percent electric vehicles, lead technician Jonathan Sanchez said tires are the most frequent thing customers come in about, no matter what model or make of EV they’re driving. Tire mileage can vary widely of course, but he frequently changes EV tires at just 8,000 to 10,000 miles — a fourth or even fifth of typical tire wear on a gas-burning car.
Neil Semel, the owner of a Mercedes EQS, told The Herald that if he had known how often he would be buying tires, he would’ve never bought the car. “If somebody looked at me and said, Mr. Semel, you are going to love this car but in about 7,000 miles you will have to pay 1,400 or 1,500 dollars to replace the tires, I wouldn’t have bought the car,” he said.

Costco is not insuring any new CA drivers, they may add Teslas though to an existing policy, so if you don't already have Costco car insurance buyer will be SOL.
Tesla Insurance provided me the best rate for my M3P and when I was rear-ended I had a great experience with the repair and all compensation and rental car. The guy who rear ended me had his front end demoslishjed whereas only the left side of my rear bumper was dented. The body shop said the M3P is the most structurally well built car on the road (called it a tank). Cheap insurance is great until you need it.

The tires thing is a byproduct of lower resistance EV tires that mfrs are using and also the fast acceleration because of the increased torque. It's no different from sports cars or heavier cars like minvans or SUVs.

Just another nothingburger that anti-EV people are trying to leverage (which is why I sarcastically mentioned them).

For normal driving... tires will last as expected. Our Y went over 20k miles and tires were still good... while I had to change them on our minivan that only had 15k miles. YMMV but driving style is a big factor.

Costco is not insuring any new CA drivers, they may add Teslas though to an existing policy, so if you don't already have Costco car insurance buyer will be SOL.
Not true. I SWITCHED to Costco insurance because they gave cheaper rates than other insurance companies, including Tesla insurance. Many people I know did the same. That's how I found out Costco insurance was cheaper and switched.

I decided to check out the Costco insurance for my Tesla....here is the result.

Important Information for California Costco Members​

New auto and home insurance policies are currently not available in California through the Costco Insurance Agency, Inc.

The Costco Insurance Agency, Inc., is currently not offering new auto or home insurance policies in California. Please check with other agencies and carriers serving California or ask friends and family for recommendations.

This change does not affect members who currently have an active California insurance policy through this program.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

New auto and home insurance policies are currently not available in California through the Costco Insurance Agency, Inc.

The Costco Insurance Agency, Inc., is currently not offering new auto or home insurance policies in California. Please check with other agencies and carriers serving California or ask friends and family for recommendations.

This change does not affect members who currently have an active California insurance policy through this program.

well, at least you’ll be able to get cheap tires from them still.😂😂😂😂🦄🌈

I guess I was wrong. Costco stopped insuring new autos and homes in CA/FL.

I guess I was wrong. Costco stopped insuring new autos and homes in CA/FL.

Martin got his home owners insurance cancelled by Costco too...they are slowly pulling or phasing out is what my guess is. Hopefully I'm wrong, less insurance companies mean higher premiums for all and the market to get insurance is horrible right now.

Martin got his home owners insurance cancelled by Costco too...they are slowly pulling or phasing out is what my guess is. Hopefully I'm wrong, less insurance companies mean higher premiums for all and the market to get insurance is horrible right now.
Even when I switched auto insurance to Costco back in Oct 2022, they wouldn't insure my Bluffs home.

Transition Going well…don’t you think?...now that’s a chart!🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂🦄🌈

This EV startup, once valued at $13b, is on the verge of total collapse

Once an EV darling thought to revolutionize EV production with its concept of micro-factories that crank out delivery vans for the likes of Uber and UPS, UK startup Arrival is in a desperate search for funding after being delisted from Nasdaq this week.

Nasdaq suspended trading of Arrival shares this week, followed by a formal delisting, Reuters reports. The action is the result of Arrival being late in posting financial results and failing to file a remediation plan and hold an annual shareholder meeting.

After announcing it was slashing its workforce by 50% last year, Arrival said it had received a lifeline two months ago in the form of a $50 million investment. At the time of the delisting yesterday, the company was reported to be worth $20 million.

According to Reuters, the company is talking to Ernst and Young accounting to handle next steps (i.e., bankruptcy filing) if it can’t secure emergency funding.

https://electrek.co/2024/01/31/this-ev-startup-once-valued-at-13b-is-on-the-verge-of-total-collapse/IMG_1728.png

Last edited:
Back