I owe the IHB an apology, and accurate current milk pricing - IMPORTANT

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1238731449][quote author="NewToOC" date=1238727326]No_vas that's awesome. I eat raw almonds just about every day. So yummy. And although bubbly purists will be mortified I think almond champagne is awesome.</blockquote>

+1 for Wilson Creek.</blockquote>

I second that... especially when they add a shot of port to it.

[quote author="skek" date=1238805302]<em>*covers ears until the horror passes*</em></blockquote>

Hahahaha.... Come on now I did preface it with "bubbly purists will be mortified". What about fun mixed bubbly drinks like kir royales or mimosas? Surely you can appreciate those?

Almond champagne mimosa does not sound good... regular champagne or cava or prosecco for that. I would guess skek likes big reds.

[quote author="skek" date=1238807177]I'm not sure what kind of guy I am, but I am quite sure I'm not an almond champagne mimosa guy.</blockquote>

I pictured you as mostly a beer guy, and same with Deuce. But... now with his affinity to almond champagne... I am going to be leery hanging out with him and wonder what and if he has underlying bromantic intentions. I am beginning to think that him trying to convince me to play softball is really just a trick, especially since Mr. Bromance (aka Vicstah) is on the same softball team...

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1238736697]Almond champagne with port? Interesting - I'll have to try that!</blockquote>
If you go to wilson creek they have it on the menu.

For the record... Deuce, me, and Lendingmaestro are all on the same team. Also, while we talk a lot of trash, at least the 3 of us actually back it up. CrackerCake needs to show up and back up his smack talk for once. Oh hey Cracker, are you still in the March madness thing? Can't find you in the top 12.

Stater Bros. once again lives up to thier claim as "your local low price leader" with this week's milk special:

Valutime Fat Free - two gallons for <span style="color: red;"><span style="font-size: 16px;">$3.49!</span></span>

If you're more of a lowfat person, a whole milk drinker (like me), they still have a decent deal at <span style="color: yellow;"><span style="font-size: 11px;">$3.99 </span></span>for two gallons.

Times is hard in the hood, people. Tough times never last, but tough people do. Either way, <span style="font-size: 16px;">do not overpay for milk.</span>

Stater Bros. wins again this week.

Non fat milk is two gallons for $3.49 in the Valutime line.

All other Valutime brands are $3.99 for two gallons.

While I will be updating the Milk thread (and against the advice of several people whose opinion I value a great deal) users will notice my participation on the IHB will be more limited (if non-existent) going forward.

The inadvertent destruction of the community over the past 10 days or so, combined with the (selectively enforced-IMO) edict to be nice have contributed to me scaling back.

That said, if you can?t figure out the Villages of Columbus is a shithole built on a toxic waste dump on your own, you?ll have to figure out you?re a moron on your own accord, and I hope you lose an assload of money for your trouble.

Nothing. I didn't want to be knee jerk reactive like a few other (ex) members. We have an edict from Zovall to "be nice" and I have abided by it, but others haven't. I feel the trolls have been empowered, and I have been muzzled. A lot of it has to do with "Got Milk?". Even though he's gone, he changed things and not for the better.

Yes, I'm saying AI got a hall pass to stalk Graph (and me and other users) and I'm pissed about it. Since it's not my board, and since I can't fix it............I have to do something else.

I'm not going to just 'go dark' like a couple of other users, but I've kind of used up my usefulness. Making fun of people who are in agony through thier own stupidity isn't my thing, and for the next couple of years till this mess cycles out, that's all there is, isn't there?

Topical:

<blockquote>And it doesn?t feel right to make fun of crazy people.</blockquote> - Paul Krugman

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/opinion/13krugman.html?_r=1">Okay, so my cite is out of context, but hey! How often do I get two digs in one post.</a>

<a href="http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1784048.html?mi_rss=Top Stories">Milk glut hurts California dairy finances</a>

<em>Drink up ? milk prices are expected to stay low through summer as the dairy business struggles with a glut.

The price farmers get for their milk will rise nearly a dime May 1, pushing up minimum retail prices by roughly the same amount.

But milk is still selling for far less than it costs to produce. As production outpaces demand, analysts and farmers expect the market to stay weak for the next few months.

"We'll just be prepared for an ugly financial situation," said Case Van Steyn, who milks about 1,000 cows in the Galt area.</em>

Ok, so here it goes...

I'm joining the milk thread ;-)

So, I buy Lactaid... which is expensive as all hell! I don't drink a lot of milk, as it doesn't always agree with me... but wonder how else to get the great amount of calcium and protein that milk provides?!

Interesting on the soy milk stuff SoCal! I tried soy milk... kinda liked the rice milk... haven't tried the almond milk. But, I have been trying to figure out what I am having an allergic reaction to. As I hear the number one allergies are Wheat, Soy, Dairy and Egg.

And here's the big question... so Lactaid has a great "sell buy" date on the package... usually weeks out... but it clearly states that you need to drink it within 7 days of opening? Why??? What's happened to the milk 7 days after opening? It still smells ok?? I even called the company, who told me very clearly... "yes, you need to drink it within 7 days of opening" but could not answer my question as to WHY!!!

I've often wondered the same thing about the soy milk I buy at Trader Joe's. It's on the shelf but once you open it, you have to drink it within 7 days also. Not sure why. I really only buy it for the occasional times when we run out of milk. My son is the only one who drinks milk (about 16 oz before bed only), so it's easy to forget to buy it. You should try the almond milk, we actually ran out of milk a few days ago and I had it in the cupboard, he loved it. I tasted it and it's pretty good. Kind of nice to keep the milk thread going in honor of the MIA no_vas.

The milk or whatever are ultra-pastaurized, so that it have a very long shelf life. Some can last for years without refridgeration. But once you open it, the air-borne bacteria will start to grow in the nutrient-rich media quickly, and you have to consume it before the population got so high that you can get sick.

So I stopped at the Ralphs on Jeffrey yesterday on my way home from errands because we were running low on milk. And I didn't see almond milk in the milk substiture case with the soy and rice milk. Is that not refridgerated? Or is it in that middle aisle somewhere with the long shelf life milk and some of the other soy milk cubes? I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't go looking for that aisle.

Back