I owe the IHB an apology, and accurate current milk pricing - IMPORTANT

True as a down side soy milk is more expensive. I don't do Costco but I usually pay $2.50-$3 a carton for soy milk (target, walgreens, trader joes all are cheaper than Ralphs or Albertsons usually) which lasts about a week so I don't shop around beyond that. After not drinking milk for so long the concept of milk grosses me out a bit. Not enough not to put cream in my coffee (on occasion or when soy isn't an option) or eat ice cream or cheese mind you...

I agree you can have a perfectly healthy diet w/o milk of any kind. We just didn't want to go without something to put in our coffee and cereal.

Yeah, you have to be careful what you drink. For example: <a href="http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm">too much soy is believed to be bad for your thyroid</a> and that's particularly important if you already have thyroid disease or any other auto-immune disorders. I have this condition and my endo says not to drink more than about 8 oz. a day, if that. Also have to be careful with tofu. There are many undiagnosed people in this country.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1238560277]Isn't the Buddhist monks diet is pretty much all soy? I wonder if they drink soy milk or cow milk. Is there a study on the effect of soy/tofu on these monks? I bet there are millions of them all around the world.</blockquote>

Yes, the info that is out says soy's estrogen effect dampens their libido, making a celibate life easier to obtain.

I think it's interesting that in the Asian cultures, they use soy in small amounts as you would use a condiment. Not as a replacement for proteins or in large amounts. Also it is usually fermented first prior to consuming. As Americans, we take a soy product and think "if a little is good, a lot is better." We consume soy milk that is loaded with sugar and think it is a health food. This soy has not been fermented.

Funny you should say that SoCal. I have lupus (mild symptoms no organ involvement) but I've never talked to my rheumatologist about my switch to soy. I'll bring it up next time. I don't drink more than 8 oz a day and have tofu maybe twice a week.

I only made the milk switch because it became really obvious that milk would mess up my digestive system every time I drank more than an ounce or two of it. I was pretty skeptical about it at first since like tmare I was a bit fatigued hearing about "lactose intolerance" and "food allergies" that seemed to be ever more common. Cow's milk just suddenly stopped working for me in my 30s. The same thing happened to one of my cousins. I don't know if its an allergy thing or a lupus thing. But when you consistently get sick from something I say stop eating it! :)

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1238561623]Funny you should say that SoCal. I have lupus (mild symptoms no organ involvement) but I've never talked to my rheumatologist about my switch to soy. I'll bring it up next time. I don't drink more than 8 oz a day and have tofu maybe twice a week.

I only made the milk switch because it became really obvious that milk would mess up my digestive system every time I drank more than an ounce or two of it. I was pretty skeptical about it at first since like tmare I was a bit fatigued hearing about "lactose intolerance" and "food allergies" that seemed to be ever more common. Cow's milk just suddenly stopped working for me in my 30s. The same thing happened to one of my cousins. I don't know if its an allergy thing or a lupus thing. But when you consistently get sick from something I say stop eating it! :)</blockquote>

Very sorry about your lupus. I thought I had read once that wheat, dairy, and soy can have negative effects with this condition, no? You also have an auto-immune condition like me.

I have stopped consuming soy completely, aside from a tiny bit of edamame once in a while, as I do not want any inhibitors in my body. I think the Soy Agriculture has done a great job of marketing these products in the early 2000's, making it seem like it has so many benefits and risks are not mentioned. I prefer fat free milk and I like rice milk as an alternative. Rice milk is starchy, yes - but I don't know of any red flags with this product (except it should not be the staple of a young child's diet as a replacement for milk.) I researched it and it did not seem to trigger any auto-immune problems, and seems to have no effect on red blood cells unlike soy. Just my 2 cents. I am not a doctor. :)

No apologies necessary for taking my exercise in obsessive/complusive behaivor into something productive!

Too much dairy isn't healthy for adults, but I never suspected too much soy being a problem for the imuno-compromised. By all means please continue.

Well, this thread is turning out to be fun after all. Thanks no_vas. I'm wondering if anyone else is hearing much about this "almond milk" that is such the rage with the all organic crowd including the homeopathic docs. For now, my son just sticks to regular milk and the rest of us eat enough cheese and sour cream I believe.

Well, from what I've been hearing, it's raw milk that's really been at the forefront these days. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't say one way or the other, but it seems like there are a lot of organic folks who swear by it.

<a href="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91843992">http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91843992</a>

Yeah, no, thanks, pass.

IMO people who eat organic are nuts. People who consume raw milk are in Janet (the former IHB user name Janet, not anyone else named Janet) territory.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1238592458]Yeah, no, thanks, pass.

IMO people who eat organic are nuts. People who consume raw milk are in Janet (the former IHB user name Janet, not anyone else named Janet) territory.</blockquote>
My personal opinion is that "organic" foods are a rip off, but that's just me. The only organic food, in my eyes, is if I grow the damn stuff myself or raise & kill the animal myself.

Ok, since no_vas has blessed us going off-topic here... has anyone seen any place that sells Silk Chai flavored milk? I know that its full of sugar and more of a dessert but it sounds really good and I want to try it anyway. I haven't seen it anywhere.

I've been meaning to try almond milk because it sounds delicious.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1238641858]Horchata is my favorite milk.</blockquote>
Horchata is not really milk, its more of a mixed beverage.

I am ALL FOR almond milk. My dad has 117 acres of almonds coming into production next year, and anything we can do to steal marketshare from those dairymen, I say bring it!

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1238656199]I am ALL FOR almond milk. My dad has 117 acres of almonds coming into production next year, and anything we can do to steal marketshare from those dairymen, I say bring it!</blockquote>

Also, I think a lot of people find unsweetened almond milk a lot tastier than its unsweetened rivals of soy and rice milk. I give almond milk a thumb's up.

No_vas that's awesome. I eat raw almonds just about every day. So yummy. And although bubbly purists will be mortified I think almond champagne is awesome.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1238727326]No_vas that's awesome. I eat raw almonds just about every day. So yummy. And although bubbly purists will be mortified I think almond champagne is awesome.</blockquote>

+1 for Wilson Creek.

Back