I owe the IHB an apology, and accurate current milk pricing - IMPORTANT

Hmm... that matches the brand I get at Albertson's for 1.99. I forget if it's Albertson's brand or Knudsen.

Once thing I notice... whatever brand it is... it spoils before the expiration date... never did that before... is it my fridge?

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240023520]

Once thing I notice... whatever brand it is... it spoils before the expiration date... never did that before... is it my fridge?</blockquote>

Make sure it's one of the last things in your cart before you check out and also double-check the temp in your ice box. It should be between 35-38 degrees. If it is above that, your milk will spoil much faster.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240021371]My thing is our household can't drink 2 gallons of milk before it expires.

So who has the lowest 1 gallon of milk price?</blockquote>

I can't go through a gallon of milk before a week usually... so, in those instances... I make pudding! Takes 3 cups of milk and I get to have Chocolate Pudding! Now, the Chocolate Pudding never seems to have an issue with shelf life as it is usually gone in two days ;-P

Great... :blank:

Now I have to follow the milk thread regularly, as I now have an addiction to chocolate pudding and my weekly milk requirements have gone up... Hmmm... Let's see... 3 cups of milk= 6 servings of pudding, that subsequently is gone in two days.... I need to buy more milk...

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1240217516]Great... :blank:

Now I have to follow the milk thread regularly, as I now have an addiction to chocolate pudding and my weekly milk requirements have gone up... Hmmm... Let's see... 3 cups of milk= 6 servings of pudding, that subsequently is gone in two days.... I need to buy more milk...</blockquote>
Damn, you go through that much pudding in 2 days? Or do you give it out to friends and family? If so that's the case, I want some!

I seriously do eat up to three serving of pudding a day... if it happens to be in my fridge! Yikes! Good thing I have a high metabolism... whew!

I recently went "Gluten Free" so... I really miss donuts... :long: So, I guess the pudding is just a crutch! Hahaha!

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1240220371]...or maybe the donuts were the gateway drug... :cheese:</blockquote>
Yes they are but I have successfully completed the detox period of the Krispy Kreme withdraws.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1240220221]I seriously do eat up to three serving of pudding a day... if it happens to be in my fridge! Yikes! Good thing I have a high metabolism... whew!

I recently went "Gluten Free" so... I really miss donuts... :long: So, I guess the pudding is just a crutch! Hahaha!</blockquote>
I want some pudding too...I only buy it when the Jell-O stuff goes on sale at Albertson's. Paying $5+ for 6 little containers is a ripoff!

Oh! You can't BUY pudding!

You have to either make it from scratch or buy the Jello 'Cook and serve" kind that you cook on the stove. No comparsion... I could never buy pre made pudding, the difference in taste is uncomparable!

We just didn't know how progressive we all were when this thread started several weeks ago.

<a href="http://ocdeals.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/21/milk-prices-are-falling-but-why/">Why milk prices are falling</a>

no_vas truly has been keeping us informed as this article mentions Stater Bros. and the first comment about the article mentions the Fresh and Easy price.

No serious updates in the world of 1 gallon jugs of fluid milk this week, so I figured I'd take a different line.

I've been eating ice cream for the past two months. I have a perverse attraction to the supertanker sized Neapolitan flavor ice cream (mostly because it's cheap) and I've learned a couple of interesting things.

The 5 gallon bucket of Valutime from Stater Bros is $4.99. It is fairly tasty, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to scoop after it's been in my freezer overnight once I get it home (I wound up cutting it into slices - no joke). So I decided to switch brands.............

I got the 4 gallon Meadow Farm stuff from Fresh and Easy - same price, $4.99. It's way better, and you can scoop it after it was in the freezer overnight. It's 20% more but I can scoop it without using power tools, so it's worth the extra price. I think Bix made the comment it has something to do with the emulsifiers they use, but it sure tastes like the butterfat is higher in this one as opposed to Valutime product.

I purchased a hind quarter last week, so this will likely be my last tub-o-heart-attack as the freezer will be full of meat, and my ice cream will be displaced. :(

Ciao till next week.

Nice to hear from you again. Neapolitan is my kids favorite (they call it tri-color, with the "or" sound). Fresh and Easy has become one of my favorite "drop by for a few quick meals and good, cheap wine" stops as of late.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1240276097]Oh! You can't BUY pudding!

You have to either make it from scratch or buy the Jello 'Cook and serve" kind that you cook on the stove. No comparsion... I could never buy pre made pudding, the difference in taste is uncomparable!</blockquote>

I sometimes break down and don't even wait for it to cool down ... :p

Back