How low can we go? 30 yr fixed at 3.75% with no fees...

Ready2Downsize said:
When I was a nurse then (on the evening shift), EVERYONE brought their dinner to work and microwaved it.

This quote makes me think back to 2019 when I quit eating lunch on work days.
I saved 7-12 bucks per workday.

It's been 3 years, and I'm down 30 LBS and have a lot of lunch money....

zubs said:
Ready2Downsize said:
When I was a nurse then (on the evening shift), EVERYONE brought their dinner to work and microwaved it.

Much much healthier eating what you cook and besides that there is a reason health inspectors do not go out to eat.

zubs said:
Ready2Downsize said:

One meal a day IF?

Kenkoko said:
It's fine to blame the Federal Reserve, but let's not conflate fiscal policy and monetary policy.

We don't get here without years of loose fiscal policy.

We've been pumping aggregate demand directly through increase in government spending for decades. Now people are shocked we finally have inflation when supply can't keep up with demand?

This and the trillions of stimulus since Trump had nothing to do with the Federal Reserve.

So what will happen once the supply chain normalizes and companies begin to roll out additional capacity?

USCTrojanCPA said:
zubs said:
Ready2Downsize said:

One meal a day IF?

I've been doing intermittent fasting for more than 3 years now. I lost 30 lbs within 2 months and had been keeping the weight since. I eat two meals, a regular lunch (whatever served at work cafeteria, even burger and fries  ;D) and a low carb dinner (roast beef/ham salad I buy at cafeteria 3 times a week). The schedule works for me because I get to work around 10:30am and drink an iced black coffee that suppresses my hunger until lunch.

diet? I have been on Keto diet for many years now, it is really difficult to gain weight when you are on Keto. But Keto diet does cost more than regular diet with carb as carb is much cheaper

CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
zubs said:
Ready2Downsize said:

One meal a day IF?

I've been doing intermittent fasting for more than 3 years now. I lost 30 lbs within 2 months and had been keeping the weight since. I eat two meals, a regular lunch (whatever served at work cafeteria, even burger and fries  ;D) and a low carb dinner (roast beef/ham salad I buy at cafeteria 3 times a week). The schedule works for me because I get to work around 10:30am and drink an iced black coffee that suppresses my hunger until lunch.

CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
zubs said:
Ready2Downsize said:

One meal a day IF?

Yeah, I normally eat 1 (especially on weekends) or 2 meals a day and find it very productive. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Kenkoko said:
It's fine to blame the Federal Reserve, but let's not conflate fiscal policy and monetary policy.

We don't get here without years of loose fiscal policy.

We've been pumping aggregate demand directly through increase in government spending for decades. Now people are shocked we finally have inflation when supply can't keep up with demand?

This and the trillions of stimulus since Trump had nothing to do with the Federal Reserve.

So what will happen once the supply chain normalizes and companies begin to roll out additional capacity?

I think it will vary widely depending on the industry / sector.

Manufacturing, electronics, energy, auto, food, I expect will stabilize in the longer term.

Sectors where supply can't easily increase to meet demand,  like housing, healthcare, higher education will continue to spike.

The California Court Company said:
diet? I have been on Keto diet for many years now, it is really difficult to gain weight when you are on Keto. But Keto diet does cost more than regular diet with carb as carb is much cheaper

My brother does Keto diet. He's been doing different kinds. First, he did 1 huge meal per day to lose weight drastically. Then he did 2 meal intermittent. Now he's doing Keto.

For me, though, it's not really about being on a diet. It's just became a life style now. I just cut down on the number of meals per day, but I still get to eat whatever I want. I even have pastry (like almond or blueberry/strawberry croissant) in the afternoon.  ;D.

Keto diet is very unhealthy. There are many side effects and it is not sustainable in a long run. I see many friends tried and failed. The longest lasted more than a year.

Why not exercise and eat whatever you want?  For me, I?ve been riding 100 miles a week. It only takes 5-6 hours and I get to enjoy the views, eat anything I want to eat. I?ve been doing it for last 5 years and havent gained a pound.

If you guys happen to see a cyclist doing laps on Portola hill on S-works bike sometimes on Wed at sunset, that?s me.  You welcome to join  ;D

Weights are your best bet, especially pushing max weight on leg press 3X/week. Your body will transform while your weight stays the same as muscle weighs more than fat. Very little cardio required other than to maintain cardio fitness.

Excessive biking carries a huge risk of impotency - that's why they have "special" seats. Google dirty secret of biking.

Danimal said:
Keto diet is very unhealthy. There are many side effects and it is not sustainable in a long run. I see many friends tried and failed. The longest lasted more than a year.

Why not exercise and eat whatever you want?  For me, I?ve been riding 100 miles a week. It only takes 5-6 hours and I get to enjoy the views, eat anything I want to eat. I?ve been doing it for last 5 years and havent gained a pound.

If you guys happen to see a cyclist doing laps on Portola hill on S-works bike sometimes on Wed at sunset, that?s me.  You welcome to join  ;D

Well, I do exercise and eat whatever I want.  ;D I just cut down the number of meals. I just don't eat breakfast I'm in a hurry to get to work.

I take 2 afternoon walks, about 40-45 minutes each, at work. It's good to be an engineer.  ;D

OCtoSV said:
Weights are your best bet, especially pushing max weight on leg press 3X/week. Your body will transform while your weight stays the same as muscle weighs more than fat. Very little cardio required other than to maintain cardio fitness.

Excessive biking carries a huge risk of impotency - that's why they have "special" seats. Google dirty secret of biking.

Now that our gym at work is re-opened, I've gone back to doing weights, 3 times a week. I mainly focus on upper body, though. On those 3 days, I go for 1 walk instead of 2.

RE: inflation
In my industry, shipping has gotten better by 1 week.  However, it's probably because Long Beach is receiving CNY shipments right now, so they have a lighter schedule.  But it may also be that people have less money now, and can't buy all the merchandise coming from Asia.  why not both?

RE: weight loss
I find that weight loss is 60% what you eat and 30% exercise.
I use to exercise w/o changing what I eat and i only lost 10 lbs.  However, when I started limiting lunch and carbs, i dropped the other 25 lbs.
It was difficult @ the beginning and I had unjustified angry feelings @ cars in front of me, but that only lasted 2 months.

Danimal said:

Keto is very difficult, no doubt.  I lost 35-40lbs in 18 months by doing intermittent fasting along with lower carb eating and almost no sugary/alcoholic drinks where I ate 1 or 2 times a day with no exercise.  It's 80-90% diet and 10-20% exercise.  I've also done a few extended fasts (2-5 days) when I hit a wall with the weight loss as my body needed a shock.

zubs said:
RE: inflation
In my industry, shipping has gotten better by 1 week.  However, it's probably because Long Beach is receiving CNY shipments right now, so they have a lighter schedule.  But it may also be that people have less money now, and can't buy all the merchandise coming from Asia.  why not both?

RE: weight loss
I find that weight loss is 60% what you eat and 30% exercise.
I use to exercise w/o changing what I eat and i only lost 10 lbs.  However, when I started limiting lunch and carbs, i dropped the other 25 lbs.
It was difficult @ the beginning and I had unjustified angry feelings @ cars in front of me, but that only lasted 2 months.

That's the carbo detox side effect.  haha

Liar Loan said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
lnc said:
Now the new question for this thread is how high can we go?

30 year fixed up to 4.5 - 4.75 in 2023?

Not gonna happen.  We might top out around 4% +/- a bit before heading back down.

It only took a month to hit 4% rates and the Fed hasn't even taken significant action yet.  Consumer inflation is still rising and now sits at 7.5%.

Care to revise your prediction?

USC last chance to revise. :D 

MND is showing a 4.95% average for 30 Yr conforming, with jumbos at 4.20%.  :eek:

Lender profitability is in the crapper right now, so they can't afford to be caught flat-footed holding lower coupon garbage on their credit lines.  In theory, they should be hedged against these rapid daily price moves, but it doesn't always work out that way in practice.  Hedging is still an art, not a science. 

The reason I'm getting into the weeds here is I think lenders are trying to get ahead of further price deterioration in the MBS market.  The way to do that is by increasing rates faster than Fed actions would indicate is necessary.  That's part of the reason the spread between 30 Yr Fixed rates and 10 Yr Treasuries is rapidly widening.  At the end of the day, mortgage rates are set by lenders that need to make a profit, and Treasuries are set by supply/demand in the bond market.

Maybe SGIP or Cares have additional flavor or a completely different opinion to share?

Liar Loan said:
Liar Loan said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
lnc said:
Now the new question for this thread is how high can we go?

30 year fixed up to 4.5 - 4.75 in 2023?

Not gonna happen.  We might top out around 4% +/- a bit before heading back down.

It only took a month to hit 4% rates and the Fed hasn't even taken significant action yet.  Consumer inflation is still rising and now sits at 7.5%.

Care to revise your prediction?

USC last chance to revise. :D 

MND is showing a 4.95% average for 30 Yr conforming, with jumbos at 4.20%.  :eek:

Lender profitability is in the crapper right now, so they can't afford to be caught flat-footed holding lower coupon garbage on their credit lines.  In theory, they should be hedged against these rapid daily price moves, but it doesn't always work out that way in practice.  Hedging is still an art, not a science. 

The reason I'm getting into the weeds here is I think lenders are trying to get ahead of further price deterioration in the MBS market.  The way to do that is by increasing rates faster than Fed actions would indicate is necessary.  That's part of the reason the spread between 30 Yr Fixed rates and 10 Yr Treasuries is rapidly widening.  At the end of the day, mortgage rates are set by lenders that need to make a profit, and Treasuries are set by supply/demand in the bond market.

Maybe SGIP or Cares have additional flavor or a completely different opinion to share?

I got quoted 3.75% for a jumbo loan with no points and no relationship discount yesterday so your average is off.  I'm still waiting for more inventory as I have over a dozen buyers ready to buy.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I got quoted 3.75% for a jumbo loan with no points and no relationship discount yesterday so your average is off.  I'm still waiting for more inventory as I have over a dozen buyers ready to buy.

I'm glad I locked in a couple weeks ago. I was quoted 3.25% for jumbo loan with no points (due to my home being detached condo). Would have been 3.125% for SFR. Then I used $500k relationship discount to get to 2.875% and got 0.375% rebate. Would have been 0.5% rebate if I had locked in a day earlier.  :p

Back