How high will mortgage rates climb in the next 36 months?

Remember how certain people kept saying rising rates were going to destroy Irvine home prices?

Seems like it had the opposite effect because no one wants to sell their home because it cost more to replace.

Someone making a down payment, let alone one of only 40%, is by definition NOT a FCB as the C= CASH.

And how is anyone taking on a huge mortgage of 60% of a typical new Irvine pad not rate sensitive? ARMs aren’t that much lower than 30 FRM.

Your stats now have me even more convinced Irvine will suffer a serious adjustment which could be geopolitically related as you pointed out. I thought the FCBs paid cash!
If someone on the internet had you more convinced, boy you are in a world way far from reality. Let alone that someone being sleepy joe of fake forest. 🤭

Almost 50% of Irvine transaction are now all cash. Financed buyer demand has declined with the higher rates but the Chinese buyers still remain but the reason why we are almost at 50% all cash purchases is that the number of transactions is down about 40% YOY.

Almost 50% of Irvine transaction are now all cash. Financed buyer demand has declined with the higher rates but the Chinese buyers still remain but the reason why we are almost at 50% all cash purchases is that the number of transactions is down about 40% YOY.
Thank you for confirming what I assumed was the situation on the ground. Really good news for me as we plan our move to non-Irvine south OC in the next few years - bargains will abound in areas devoid of FCB demand.

What is your advice on when to buy for financed buyers?

During the last Sellers Market it was "zero contingencies, quick closing, possible rent-backs, with best and highest price" being the secret sauce to win the deal. Get your financing fully approved, not waiting for $$$ to transfer from somewhere, or any other complexities that raise more questions by sellers and their Agents. I'm sure the above points remain today as key factors, but also engaging a Buyer's Agent with strong listing Realtor relationships will also help to get the home you're aiming for. Never use a N00b Agent/Friend/Relative in this market as they will fail you more than you'd think was ever possible.

PS - It's helpful to cross check sales activities for "Area Experts" (a title I can't stand BTW) before committing to working with a specific agent. I saw one "Area Expert" listed on a site who shows only 3 closed Irvine sales out of 7 total YTD. Another Realtor - one who does not self promote as an "Area Expert" - has 7 Irvine sales out of 14 closings YTD also with available Irvine listings to sell.

Last edited:
@sgip I'm sure he asked advice on WHEN, as in the timeframe (like now, 6 months from now, etc?), for financed buyers to buy.
Yes, it's a "When" question. I am fond of quoting Pasteur who said "Chance favors the prepared..." The "when" happens when one is ready to take steps that may be uncomfortable, like contingency waiving. A buyer can purchase right now if they are ready to do what it takes. They can wait as well until they are comfortable making some of the decisions needed to win the deal.

Thank you for confirming what I assumed was the situation on the ground. Really good news for me as we plan our move to non-Irvine south OC in the next few years - bargains will abound in areas devoid of FCB demand.

I bought 2 homes for 2 of my contingent buyers (one in Orange and one in Mission Viejo) last week. I was the only cash buyer out of 6 and 12 offers and got both homes (had to big $50k and $25k over list respectively). So yes there are less cash buyers outside of Irvine but there is a still a lot of demand compared to the supply of homes even outside of Irvine.

Why you find the right home that checks most of the boxes. If the market is strong like it is now you'll have to remove your loan and appraisal contingencies and tighten up removing all of your contingencies in 10-14 days to be competitive.

While that is true, also less stable pricing but if you buy to live, it doesn’t really matter right?

There are other pitfalls to living in South OC but that depends on the beholder.

I bought 2 homes for 2 of my contingent buyers (one in Orange and one in Mission Viejo) last week. I was the only cash buyer out of 6 and 12 offers and got both homes (had to big $50k and $25k over list respectively). So yes there are less cash buyers outside of Irvine but there is a still a lot of demand compared to the supply of homes even outside of Irvine.
Really helpful data - thanks USC. My timeline is 3 yrs out and I'll be a cash or 70%+ down buyer so I like my chances after 3 yrs of tail effects from the Feds rate hikes. I see OC in the trough of a recession or maybe just coming out of one in 2026 while AI and cloud will continue to power a robust job market in the Bay area while I pay down principal on my 15. I therefore see a good arbitrage opportunity for me to cash out up here at record highs and hit South OC at a low. Irvine will remain buffered from the job market by Chinese buyers unless a GOP WH limits foreign RE ownership then all bets are off. As George Peppard used to say on the A Team "I love it when a plan comes together".

While that is true, also less stable pricing but if you buy to live, it doesn’t really matter right?

There are other pitfalls to living in South OC but that depends on the beholder.
I've always had good timing with RE purchases so I know I would be psychologically affected if I bought and prices plunged. Conversely I'd be stoked to continue my streak of good timing.

As for location I surf so value being close to Salt Creek, SC and Oceanside beaches. Plus I golf and there are a number of golf clubs to choose from - Aliso Viejo, Dove Canyon, El Niguel, Coto, MV etc.

Really helpful data - thanks USC. My timeline is 3 yrs out and I'll be a cash or 70%+ down buyer so I like my chances after 3 yrs of tail effects from the Feds rate hikes. I see OC in the trough of a recession or maybe just coming out of one in 2026 while AI and cloud will continue to power a robust job market in the Bay area while I pay down principal on my 15. I therefore see a good arbitrage opportunity for me to cash out up here at record highs and hit South OC at a low. Irvine will remain buffered from the job market by Chinese buyers unless a GOP WH limits foreign RE ownership then all bets are off. As George Peppard used to say on the A Team "I love it when a plan comes together".
do you believe that the home sale prices in 2026 will be less than today's home sale prices?

do you believe that the home sale prices in 2026 will be less than today's home sale prices?

Inventory levels have to increase substantially if prices are to come down from current levels, unless the job market starts falling apart I just don't see where we'll get that big increase in inventory. So unfortunately I think prices will most likely be higher in the 2026 than today, especially if interest rates normalize back to around 4% by that time (that is where rates were before Covid).

Inventory levels have to increase substantially if prices are to come down from current levels, unless the job market starts falling apart I just don't see where we'll get that big increase in inventory. So unfortunately I think prices will most likely be higher in the 2026 than today, especially if interest rates normalize back to around 4% by that time (that is where rates were before Covid).
Except that 4% rates will only occur if the Fed is in emergency cutting mode due to a recession, which I am predicting. A halving of the 10 year means double the current unemployment rate which means inventory will increase and qualified financed buyers that did not lose their jobs will be very happy they waited.

My parents bought in Irvine in 89, the top of the 80s bubble. They were technically underwater for almost 10 years and when one of their jobs moved to San Diego that meant a bad commute. Buy now only if you’re certain you won’t require job mobility and you don’t care about being underwater for many years.

Except that 4% rates will only occur if the Fed is in emergency cutting mode due to a recession, which I am predicting. A halving of the 10 year means double the current unemployment rate which means inventory will increase and qualified financed buyers that did not lose their jobs will be very happy they waited.

My parents bought in Irvine in 89, the top of the 80s bubble. They were technically underwater for almost 10 years and when one of their jobs moved to San Diego that meant a bad commute. Buy now only if you’re certain you won’t require job mobility and you don’t care about being underwater for many years.

I don't agree. Once inflation gets back down to 2% and starts heading lower, the Fed will begin cutting interest rates. It may take 2-3 years but I believe that we'll get back to where we were before Covid and that around 4% on the 30-year fixed.

I don't agree. Once inflation gets back down to 2% and starts heading lower, the Fed will begin cutting interest rates. It may take 2-3 years but I believe that we'll get back to where we were before Covid and that around 4% on the 30-year fixed.
By the time this happens... Irvine starter homes will be $3m+. :)

whoa whoa whoa - is that what they teach in the UCLA econ dept? WHY would the Powell Fed (1st non-economist to run the Fed) cut rates for any reason but recession? Wouldn't that by definition be inflationary? If inflation declines without a corresponding rise in unemployment that means the economy can tolerate higher rates. Headline PCE may be going down due to used car prices declining but food inflation is rampant - in fact it's now embedded. Have you paid attention recently at the grocery store? I never did but do now and prices for everything but fresh meat, fish, veggies and beer (my staples) are waaay up. Bacon is $12 for a 12 oz package. Fuel also given this administration's war on fossil fuels. We will never see a $2 gallon of gas or a 4% mortgage rate the rest of this decade or maybe in our lifetimes.

6-7% represents a return to historically normalized mortgage rates. And as you pointed out even a 6% jumbo rate has sidelined most financed buyers - that didn;t require 8 or 9%. We had 20 years of Fed rate repression to force assets into the markets seeking yield and then COVID - that's all in the rear view now. Prices are not likely to come down for a while in South OC as there are obviously still buyers willing to absorb much higher mortgage payments per your very useful data, but those may dwindle, just like the how the bursting of the 80s RE bubble in OC played out through the early/mid 90s, a time where no one believed RE would ever appreciate again. Irvine has proven itself somewhat immune given the ballast of the FCBs, and it will be very interesting to see how long that ballast remains.

Back