HK and PRC

@eyephone:

To clarify, I think morekaos meant that Jollibee is marketing to Filipinos in the US because in the Phillippines, Jollibee is more popular than McDonalds.

Obviously, you want to market to everyone in the US, but you can start with people who are familiar with your brand/food. Have you ever tried Luna Grill? Why are there so many in Irvine? Or Panini Kabob Grill?

eyephone said:
morekaos said:
Not aiming their marketing at you.  Flips love that place.  Only major burger franchise that beats McDonalds in their own country.  How many burger joints do you know with white rice on the sides menu?  They don't need you as a customer, they have lots.

I disagree. The reason why they came to the US. Is to get a percentage of the fast food sector. In effect they came here for other people to buy their food. Which means to market to other people than from the Philippines. Trust me they are not big time in the US like you say they are. (Thanks to you this will be the new topic for me to talk about!)

Source:Euro monitor, FT Article: Can Jollibee take a bite out of the global fast-food market?

Global fast food companies by sales (in billion dollars)
Using 2017 sales data:
McDonalds 86.02
Yum Brands (kfc, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) 35.33
Restaurant Brands International (Burger King) 30.88
Doctor?s Associates (subway) 18.82
Dunkin Brands Group 11.21
Jollibee Foods 2.91

Website source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/1cdfd818-a9ca-11e8-89a1-e5de165fa619

Note: numbers might change since 2017 but just using public sales info from 2017 for discussion purposes

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm just not sure if that's enough... even at 100% tariffs, from what I understand, it could still be cheaper and higher quality than other avenues.
For example, you make a gadget in China, it cost $1 and is very high quality and you can charge $15 for it. The same gadget, if made in California would cost $5 and may not be as good. If the cost for the gadget in China doubled or tripled and went to $2 or even $3... wouldn't you still buy it from China?

Back in the 1990s when Compaq sourced external computer speakers from China, they told their supplier that they expect the price to be cut by 3% every quarter.  If the supplier is unable meet this condition, there are many others who would be happy to take the order.  The Chinese manufacturer was left to find ways to cut costs or die.  This is partially why after 20 years we still find a lot of low priced Made in China products at Walmart.  However, with rising wages in China it's getting harder and harder to compete against lower labor cost countries like Burma and Vietnam.

Also, there is no free lunch -- cost savings have to come from somewhere, and thus a lot of products are not built to quality or durability.  Sadly this plays into the planned obsolescence business model in America where products are made to be disposable and replaced cheaply.

There are some items built to quality in China, but they're not that cheap.  Quality made in USA straight blade buck knives will cost you $50 and up, versus acceptable quality (as tested by Russian customer hammering it against a wood log on Youtube) knife of similar size and function from China will cost you $25.  The $5 or $10 Made in China knife at Harbor freight wouldn't last 10 seconds when subjected to same test by hammer wielding Russian dude.  But retailers like Harbor freight would rather sell the $5 or $10 product that will break.

I got off the phone this morning with one of my clients in China.  She is convinced the government will try to infiltrate the protesters with their own people the try to incite the mass which will give the government the excuse to tamp down the protest.  She says its an effective way to lay off the blame enough to justify action. She also thinks the protesters are smart enough to know this and will try to resist any overt actions.  how this turns put is still very much in the air but the difference between Tien Amen and now is the internet, social media and the inability of the government to control all the information...we shall see, this concerns me quite a bit more then today's buzz words (inverted yield curve)

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
morekaos said:
Not aiming their marketing at you.  Flips love that place.  Only major burger franchise that beats McDonalds in their own country.  How many burger joints do you know with white rice on the sides menu?  They don't need you as a customer, they have lots.

I disagree. The reason why they came to the US. Is to get a percentage of the fast food sector. In effect they came here for other people to buy their food. Which means to market to other people than from the Philippines. Trust me they are not big time in the US like you say they are. (Thanks to you this will be the new topic for me to talk about!)

Source:Euro monitor, FT Article: Can Jollibee take a bite out of the global fast-food market?

Global fast food companies by sales (in billion dollars)
Using 2017 sales data:
McDonalds 86.02
Yum Brands (kfc, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) 35.33
Restaurant Brands International (Burger King) 30.88
Doctor?s Associates (subway) 18.82
Dunkin Brands Group 11.21
Jollibee Foods 2.91

Website source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/1cdfd818-a9ca-11e8-89a1-e5de165fa619

Note: numbers might change since 2017 but just using public sales info from 2017 for discussion purposes

Wait till I post the market share result in the US burger market in 2017. Hint zilch
(I know they sell chicken and burgers, but at least like get 1%)

Back