Hidden Canyon in Irvine

Paris said:
callmehere said:
how much do you plan to spend on upgrades and how much to furnish??

I visited the models for the first time today and was not as impressed as I expected to be with all the hype going around. They are nice homes but the living spaces I felt could have been bigger (living, dining, kitchen combos). At this price point I would expect the backyards to be larger and the surrounding topography was not very impressive. Very barren, not enough greenery. I guess I'm comparing it to the topography of OH with all the lush orchards. The gate entrance was also not as impressive compared to communities like Turtle Ridge. And the upgrades in the models were so overwhelming that to purchase a home and then create a model-like replica I would imagine you'd need to put close to another $1 million (including landscape).  :eek:

Yup - that's what we have been saying. Welcome to the club.

Happiness said:
It's interesting to see the difference in approach to model homes between TNHC (Trevi & Amelia) vs Toll Bros in Hidden Canyon, when both builders are trying to appeal to the same set of buyers.  TNHC models are surprisingly Spartan going so far as to use Ikea furnishings.  Toll Bros models, on the other hand, are so over the top they look like they were designed by a committee of rappers.  A chandelier in the powder room and a pool that goes right up to the edge of the house, seriously?

If by "spartan" you mean tasteful, I agree. If by "over the top" you mean gaudy, then definitely. I think that keeping a relatively neutral (but well-done) tone is the way to go. Sometimes when visiting a model home, especially Toll Brothers, things are so over the top that I can't even begin to appreciate the floorplan. Unless that's the point.

NYT said:
Happiness said:
It's interesting to see the difference in approach to model homes between TNHC (Trevi & Amelia) vs Toll Bros in Hidden Canyon, when both builders are trying to appeal to the same set of buyers.  TNHC models are surprisingly Spartan going so far as to use Ikea furnishings.  Toll Bros models, on the other hand, are so over the top they look like they were designed by a committee of rappers.  A chandelier in the powder room and a pool that goes right up to the edge of the house, seriously?

If by "spartan" you mean tasteful, I agree. If by "over the top" you mean gaudy, then definitely. I think that keeping a relatively neutral (but well-done) tone is the way to go. Sometimes when visiting a model home, especially Toll Brothers, things are so over the top that I can't even begin to appreciate the floorplan. Unless that's the point.

Correct. And then you are so confused about what are options/ extra and what is standard that you start to wonder what truly is included in the $2mil +++ price tag. Sometimes simplicity highlights a home and layout much better than the over the top approach TB apparently prefers to go.

Paris said:
NYT said:
Happiness said:

Correct. And then you are so confused about what are options/ extra and what is standard that you start to wonder what truly is included in the $2mil +++ price tag. Sometimes simplicity highlights a home and layout much better than the over the top approach TB apparently prefers to go.

In a Toll Brothers model, no need to be confused about what's standard and what's an upgrade: everything is an upgrade.  ;)

I remember walking through a few of the Baker Ranch Heights and Highlands new builds without any upgrades. 

They looked a lot smaller and cheaper.  They know what they're doing and they're good at it.  Reminds me of the car commercials where they show the details of the high end model vehicle then say "now lease for only $199/mo" but of course that's for the advertised lease is for the model with 15" rims, cloth interior, no navigation, etc. 

NYT is a New Home Co employee which explains all his negativity on this thread. He's a sales manager there, you can see his face in one of the Fiano pics he posted.  I'm sure lots of builders use this site to promote their projects but you would think they could do so with a bit more class than this.

2008 was a turning point in residential real estate caused by the massive real estate collapse/foreclosure crisis.  Attitudes and styles regarding real estate can now be clearly divided into the pre 2008 era of excess and the post 2008 era of restraint. 

Toll Bros, Shappell, KB, Shea, etc., are clinging stubbornly to the pre 2008 style homes.  TNHC, Brookfield, Taylor Morrison, Standard Pacific, etc., are innovating with new post 2008 designs.

The poster child of the pre 2008 era is the infamous ?McMansion.?  McMansions were all about pretension, style with no substance, and completely disproportionate, incongruous, and inharmonious with the setting.

The Hidden Canyon entry experience is jaw dropping but once you get past the entry, you can?t but feel disappointed by the comparatively modest remainder of the house.  The Hidden Canyon entry experience would be perfect in a 7.000+ sq ft home, not in Hidden Canyon?s relatively modest 5,000+ sq ft.  The signature feature of the old McMansions was the semi-circular Palladian window over the double front entry doors.  Take a look at the entry of Hidden Canyon?s ?Santa Monica? model.  I doubt TNHC would have committed such an architectural faux pas. 

Tater tot said:
NYT is a New Home Co employee which explains all his negativity on this thread. He's a sales manager there, you can see his face in one of the Fiano pics he posted.  I'm sure lots of builders use this site to promote their projects but you would think they could do so with a bit more class than this.

I'm an employee of TNHC? Damn! I wish I would've known that when I bought my home at Lambert Ranch. I could've gotten an employee discount!

If you bothered to look into my old posts, you'd see that I'm merely a satisfied TNHC customer. But, maybe your time is too valuable to go looking into these things before making accusations.

See my face in one of the Fiano pics? Kinda hard, since I was taking the photos and wasn't doing any selfies.

I've met a handful of people from this site. They know I'm not a TNHC employee.

I used to be a huge fan of Toll Brothers. I've come to realize that their home designs, while often jaw-dropping, don't meet my needs. I also prefer my home decor more like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware than Z-Gallerie. Congratulations to all the Hidden Canyon buyers. I have no doubt that Toll Brothers is a quality builder and that these homes will appreciate quite well. Alas, these homes are not for my tastes. (That said, did you even read my post on the HC models? I actually liked 2 of the Marbella floorplans.)

This blog feels like Ios vs android in tech forums.
I'm not a fan of any builders.  I judge them base on what I need at the time of purchase. 

TNHC at Orchard hills to me has better floor plans.  I like their homes better than Toll Bros at HC.  They have much better customer service and their model homes are classier.  HC models have way too much upgrades and many of the upgrades are too showy for my taste.  But I can always upgrade what I need, knock down a few walls if it makes the layout better and keep the overall design simple and minimalistic.

The biggest factors for me were location and school district. 
That's something you can't change.  Despite HC having its share of flaws, the location was more suitable for my family than OH.

Why does it matter which is a better community?  I think the definitive answer is and will always be - the community that suits you best. 

Also I'm sure everyone is aware employees from builder are using social media to promote their products.  They will do what they do regardless if you like it or not.  Make your decisions based on your needs not their marketing.

I see too much negativity in these threads.
Everyone is entitled to their oppinion but just don't put down others just because they don't agree with you.

Tater tot said:

Furthermore, when I like a floorplan/home, I like it, regardless of the builder. Browse my past posts and you'll see. Two of my favorite floorplans of the hundreds of homes I've looked at were from Standard Pac Homes (Alta Plan 1 at Talega) and one of the two floorplans from Warmington Homes at Covenant Hills (I forget whether it was plan 1 or 2). My current favorite floorplan happens to be from TNHC at Oliva in SJC. So, yes, I'm biased towards TNHC just because I've had a great customer experience from them, but even they've done floorplans that I don't particularly care for (such as Plan 2 at Fiano).

I agree with NYT...
Stanpac used to have great floor plans.  (Ie. Turtle rock summit, north park square Triana)
I was pretty disappointed with three oaks in walnut (my last residence) but lately they seem to be coming out with good designs.
But right now I would say TNHC has the most contemporary and open floor plans.  overall utilization of space is excellent as there arn't  many wasted space.

orange_curtain said:
According to Caitlin and gang I am also a TNHC employee. I guess I'm not allowed to dislike these homes or think they are way overpriced.

Ohh c'mon Orange Curtain.
You feel it's not fair to be accused of TNHC employee?  Pls, read back your numerous previous comments in this thread and see what you have done to other people including myself, falsely accusing all buyers and interested party of being TB employee, and shoed them away to make this thread unconstructive and sterile
i totally see NYT's point, but NOT YOURs. I honestly dont think that you are related to TNHC either as i am not affiliated with TB, but you are not entiled to get pissy after you pissed all over on other people's faces.

Laniakea said:
Pls, don't get pissy after you pissed all over on other people's faces.

whoah whoah, this is a family oriented real estate website, please keep these type of comments to yourself :)

on a separate note, Yaliu just got fired.

qwerty said:
Laniakea said:
Pls, don't get pissy after you pissed all over on other people's faces.

whoah whoah, this is a family oriented real estate website, please keep these type of comments to yourself :)

on a separate note, Yaliu just got fired.

You know O_C threw the first punch long time ago. I am just one of peeps been patient to take the hit up to the third.

Laniakea said:
orange_curtain said:
According to Caitlin and gang I am also a TNHC employee. I guess I'm not allowed to dislike these homes or think they are way overpriced.

You feel it's not fair to be accused of TNHC employee?  Pls, read back your numerous previous comments in this thread and see what you have done to other people including myself, falsely accusing all buyers and interested party of being TB employee, and shoed them away to make this thread unconstructive and sterile
i totally see NYT's point, but NOT YOURs. I honestly dont think that you are related to TNHC either as i am not affiliated with TB, but you are not entiled to get pissy after you pissed all over on other people's faces.

Why are you so obsessed with me Laniakea? Is it because I have exposed you for who you are? It seems to me that most people on this site lately agree with my opinions of your homes. Also, don't flatter yourself. You are not worthy of me doing anything on your face. The fact that you even use words like that says it all. Clearly, not a real TB buyer.

popcorn.gif

orange_curtain said:
Laniakea said:
orange_curtain said:

Why are you so obsessed with me Laniakea? Is it because I have exposed you for who you are? It seems to me that most people on this site lately agree with my opinions of your homes. Also, don't flatter yourself. You are not worthy of me doing anything on your face. The fact that you even use words like that says it all. Clearly, not a real TB buyer.

Back