soft close drawers
rollout shelves
upgrade cabinets
stainless sink
uggrade appliances
recessed lighting in all rooms
commode over master toilet
kitchen counters

We decided to spend on things that are nominal in cost, and are harder to replace in the future. 

We will need go outside for:

window coverings
floors and baseboards
cabinets
paint
bathrooms

How much credit will builder return to you if you choose not to have them do the flooring? Can you really tell them you like to do the flooring through an outside contractor?

jamboreedude said:
akim997 said:
No flooring through builder.  Our only options (right now) are going to be:

replace home management with cabinets
soft close drawers
rollout shelves
upgrade cabinets
stainless sink
uggrade appliances
kitchen counters

We decided to spend on things that are nominal in cost, and are harder to replace in the future. 

window coverings
floors and baseboards
cabinets
paint
bathrooms

How much credit will builder return to you if you choose not to have them do the flooring? Can you really tell them you like to do the flooring through an outside contractor?
They won't give you any kind of credit, they will just put in the basic flooring in.

Congrats, thanks for sharing, we almost pulled the trigger on Maricopa and probably would've if my little one is near school age.  Proximity to the school would be a good 7 year foundation for us.  Enjoy the new home smell..

[/quote]
They won't give you any kind of credit, they will just put in the basic flooring in.
[/quote]

What if you tell the builder do not do any basic flooring either, we will have an outside contractor do it all. Is this possible with builders like TIC??

my understanding is that they cant sell you the house unfinished and wont let outside workers come whiles the house is still on their books.  so basically you are forced to take their basic options, rip them out, and put in the new stuff

This is a requirement from the lender? so all cash buyers can choose to have closing with bare floor?

rkp said:
my understanding is that they cant sell you the house unfinished and wont let outside workers come whiles the house is still on their books.  so basically you are forced to take their basic options, rip them out, and put in the new stuff

I believe it's an insurance requirement too.

But back when we bought our new house... the builder let my contractors install the flooring before close of escrow.

That probably was a violation of something but that's how we saved some money.

Insurance is for the bank. If you own the home free and clear, you don't need the insurance.

irvinehomeowner said:
I believe it's an insurance requirement too.

But back when we bought our new house... the builder let my contractors install the flooring before close of escrow.

That probably was a violation of something but that's how we saved some money.

As long as the City signs of the Certificate of Occupancy for your home, an all cash deal can close bare floor. You could even close W/O the builders granite, but there could be Home Warranty issues if you go that far.

SGIP

akim997 said:
At the end of the day, the Maricopa 2 plan fit most of our needs.  I will say that Maricopa has NO curb appeal, and that their elevations are tired and boring.  That being said, I can live with it.  We do like that Stonegate elementary is in short walking distance as our kids will be attending there in the future.  Plan 2's layout with a large den/BR, open foyer, large great room, large kitchen with ample seating, good sized rooms and closets, and overall functionality was enough for us to pull the trigger.  In addition, with a new house, we can pay for what we want, not what someone else thought was a good idea.  People may be tired of the recycled floor plan, but its actually a floor plan we love.  Stonegate isn't the best community, but that's a sacrifice we're willing to make.  Another selling point is we have friends buying in the area, and its always nice to be near friends and family.  Now I WISH we could get all of the above for $750K, but I just can't find it, and I'm willing to pony up the extra payments to end this search now.  Maricopa, here we come...
Congratulation!
What phase are they in?  About halfway done?
Now that their sale is hurting due to Landfill Ranch, is TIC willing to give any discount, credit or free upgrade?
Maybe I should drop by to see what's going on.
If you can, please share with us TIC's option prices.  I want to see how much TIC is overcharging.

jamboreedude said:
akim997 said:
No flooring through builder.  Our only options (right now) are going to be:

replace home management with cabinets
soft close drawers
rollout shelves
upgrade cabinets
stainless sink
uggrade appliances
kitchen counters

window coverings
floors and baseboards
cabinets
paint
bathrooms

you cannot do a bare floor escrow UNLESS you pay cash for the house.  unfortunately, i lost my suitcase of money on the way from LAX (international direct)...

the explanation was that they are under contract to deliver a finished house....  something like that.  not an insurance requirement or anything else.  this is what i was told...

rkp said:
akim - how much are those options costing through builder?

we haven't decided on all options.  again, we are focusing on things that are not easily changed in the future (i.e. cabinets).  some of my prices:

upgraded kitchen aid package - $766
rollout shelves - $122 x 2
softclose drawers - $452
cabinet upgrade - $2425
replace home management - ~$500
stainless undermount sink - $315
commode over master toilet - $351
recessed lighting - $675 per room (x 4)
ceiling fan pre-wire on the trellis - $750

that's all I've included for now...  haven't decided on a lot of other things.  in another thread i asked about a fireplace.  it was too late to add... but i think i'm okay without one.  i liked the setup in the plan 2 model... but ill get over it.  will have to see what countertop upgrades actually cost in our design center appointment.  we are not going to upgrade floors or baseboards right now, as we will just do that on our own later.

woodburyowner said:
Congrats akim997!  I love the Maricopa floor plans as well (Plan 1 and Plan 2), but after factoring all the costs to "settle-in" the house, it blew my budget away.  Are you able to move-in and get everything done (ie. landscaping) with 900k?

thanks a lot.  with landscaping i doubt we will be under 900k.  i guess it depends on the price of sod and concrete... =)

we were at the upper end of our budget, but decided to go with a new house...    we will have to work with carpet/porcelain + the lowes paper cut it yourself blinds for a while (no biggie)...    we will likely spend about $25Kish on upgrades through design center, trying to keep these costs low. 

we've been looking at resale for a while, and i mean a while, but just couldn't find the right house for the right price. 

ps9 said:
Congrats, thanks for sharing, we almost pulled the trigger on Maricopa and probably would've if my little one is near school age.  Proximity to the school would be a good 7 year foundation for us.  Enjoy the new home smell..

our oldest turns 2 this year...  one of the things we liked was walking her to school in a couple of years (there is a access gate in the block)

Irvine_Dreamer said:
akim997 said:
At the end of the day, the Maricopa 2 plan fit most of our needs.  I will say that Maricopa has NO curb appeal, and that their elevations are tired and boring.  That being said, I can live with it.  We do like that Stonegate elementary is in short walking distance as our kids will be attending there in the future.  Plan 2's layout with a large den/BR, open foyer, large great room, large kitchen with ample seating, good sized rooms and closets, and overall functionality was enough for us to pull the trigger.  In addition, with a new house, we can pay for what we want, not what someone else thought was a good idea.  People may be tired of the recycled floor plan, but its actually a floor plan we love.  Stonegate isn't the best community, but that's a sacrifice we're willing to make.  Another selling point is we have friends buying in the area, and its always nice to be near friends and family.  Now I WISH we could get all of the above for $750K, but I just can't find it, and I'm willing to pony up the extra payments to end this search now.  Maricopa, here we come...
Congratulation!
What phase are they in?  About halfway done?
Now that their sale is hurting due to Landfill Ranch, is TIC willing to give any discount, credit or free upgrade?
Maybe I should drop by to see what's going on.
If you can, please share with us TIC's option prices.  I want to see how much TIC is overcharging.

i think they are in phase 12.  Our house will be done in Oct.  I'm not so sure their sales are hurting and I wouldn't expect any discounts right now.  However, it may slow down in the next year, so just keep checking in.  We have plan 2, and there are many available.  However, plan 1's go fast because of the price point.  The plan 1's sell fast so you won't see any deals on those. 

For the option pricing, some of it is reasonable, some of it not.  For example, to upgrade the flooring to the plan 2 model, its $30,000!!!  Obviously we aren't upgrading floors through the builder.  I'll add some more later on option pricing after we have our appt. 

I don't want to share too many of our personal details, but personal circumstances dictated that we get into a house sooner than later...

Congrats on the new home purchase. Judging from my own situation, I am guessing the urgency was caused by a future akim in the pipeline.

hmmm...  bad news is that it seems that the market seems to be really slowing down... suggests i could have been more patient and purchased a resale house at a decent price. 

good news...  we'll be around some friends and family.  we'll know about 4-5 other couples on our street.  small world!!!  have met and spoken to a few area residents.  people seem pretty friendly (so far)...    getting more used to the idea of not living in the perfect area.    getting happier as we move along in the build process of having a house that we'll like and enjoy. 

note RE: TIC..    When people call it cookie cutter, it is REALLY cookie cutter.    It is NO JOKE that TIC ONLY cares about making money.  Once you sign the contract, you are not a name, you are number 32321.  There is NO FLEXIBILITY with building and stages.  For me this is troubling because this is VERY different that what I've been told.  A friend of mine had a home built in Vista Del Verde (Standard Pacific).  She was able to add custom options like a wet bar in the master that weren't a part of any floor plan or standard design.  The builder was WILLING to work with her.  For my boss, he bought in NW Pointe (gated side of Meadowood)  through Lennar in late 90's.  He was going to put in an addition, so he worked with the contractor closely who did some custom work with the plumbing to help prep the house for the additions. 

When I bought the home, I didnt realize it was too late to add BR4 (not a big deal).  Even though the lot was nothing but dirt, it was "too late" to add the 4th BR because the foundation was "planned".  My thought was - can't you just tell the guys out there to build it like XXX?  Oh well.  Then they tell me I can't have my fireplace.  I look at the lot.  Still dirt.  What, you don't have the same fireplace you use on 12000 other homes in stock?    I see the endless stacks of lumber - you tellin me you can just add it in?  They tell me I cant change the door hardware - really?  Because you aren't going to be using the same hardware in the next 2000 homes you are going to build?  So I get the den instead of a BR - okay I want to add doors.  TOO LATE!  This I REALLY don't understand.  I can go an order custom doors from Lowes TODAY and it they will be ready before October.  You telling me you cant notch the door frame for these doors even though there is no wood up yet? 

For the design center, you can tell that they carefully program EVERYTHING to make sure they make the most money off of you.  Toilets?  No choice in toilets.  Why?  Because they probably bought 1,000,000 of the same toilets at a discount and all buyers are stuck with them.  I hate the tubs.  I don't want a jet tub.  I want a new "squarer" basin tub.  Sorry, all that is offered is this round one.  The comment I received was "well, buyers really don't want these options.... it's too much to choose from..."  which is total BS (at least to me).    I realize that part of the draw of purchasing a NEW home (build it as you want it) has disappeared.  I'm still sticking with it.  But I have to say, the experience thus far has been quite UNDERWHELMING to me...  To boot, a lot of the options really aren't options because the ones the DO offer are priced at about 2X market value.  I was quoted out crown molding for master coffer + den at less than 1/2 the cost, including paint and installation.  THE ONLY UPGRADES that are worth it, are those where there is a nominal cost to upgrading (i.e. cabinets, appliances). 

TIC is very robotic, whether it is their sales people or the people at the design center.  They are as flexible as a thick steel beam.  It's a shame really, because most all of the things that you'd like to do can easily be taken care since the framing is not even up.  TIC does not build homes, they build widgets.  And people wonder why Taylor Morrsion and The New Company Homes are selling well.

Akim - didnt they tell when you when the cutoffs were to add things?  I know KB calls there cutoff items A, B, C, etc. where A is the first deadline to arrive and that involves things such as making decisions on bathrooms (tub vs walk in shower), fireplace, etc.

Back