good bye West Irvine...

akim997

well... I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but our home is now in escrow...  After looking and tire kicking for a while, I decided to make a concerted push to find a long-term place to plant some roots (which now includes selling our current home).  After tossing around the idea of staying put, the family decided that our current pad would not meet our long-term needs (or wants).  West Irvine was a cool place to be over the past 10+ years, but we also decided to live in at least one more neighborhood before I prematurely kick the bucket from all the stresses of affording Irvine housing (just kidding... or am I?)... 

Looking back, I think West Irvine is a nice place to live and has a lot to offer.  Even though it is zoned to excellent schools, is close to many amenities, and has cheap HOA and taxes, people treat it as the Irvine ghetto (compared to Northpark/ NP Square/ Woodbury, etc.).    I think it gets a bad rap...    Here are things I've loved about West Irvine:

1) Cheap master HOA of $55
2) Cheap Mello Roos
3) Decent park/swimming pool
4) Community of young families (who often bring their kids/pets to play at the park)
5) Tustin sports park across the street (with a .75 paved "loop" where you can run/walk)
6) Proximity to fwy/toll road for convenient travel
7) Shopping center choices (Irvine Market place/ Orchard Hills plaza etc...) with the District, Spectrum and SCP all within short driving distance
8) Peters Canyon/ Hicks Canyon trail/ Mountain to Sea (that runs behind the park) for running/walking/biking.  I've taken this to back bay several times. 
9) Good schools (Myford Elementary/ Pioneer Middle/ Beckman High) (I would argue TUSD can compete with IUSD)
10) Proximity to work/ friends/ family
11) I'm not sure if its "factual", but we feel safe... take the dog out late, walk to the market, walk to Target... no issues.

But fair is fair...  after over a decade, there are also downsides....

1) Jamboree can get quite crowded, especially in the mornings or afternoons (and with the lane widening project on the 5 onramp).  I have regular $30/mo toll road bills to bypass the traffic around the 5 fwy
2) 261 toll road borders the community on the east. 

So why are we moving and to where?  Well, first, we really don't "connect" with some of the SFR communities in the hood...  If I HAD to choose, I'd pick Ivy (2100 sq ft model)...    But like I said, I think I'd feel regret if I at least didn't venture out and try one more neighborhood (we plan on buying a hopeful long termer next).  Even my mom suggested I try something different. 

Our first choices would be Quail Hill/ Turtle Rock... but we can't afford it so that's out.  Next would be Northwood Pointe/ Northpark/ Northpark Sq.  Unlike some.. I'm not into architecture/design as I'm into functionality.    I'd prefer to pick up an open space floor plan that efficiently utilizes 2300-2500 sq ft instead of having a living room I will never use.  I'm 37 and I know that all I need is a family room to watch tv, an office to do work, somewhere to play with kid(s) (could overlap), and a place to sleep.  Unfortunately, most of the places listed don't offer a lot in that range (except the CalPac product i.e. Campenile).  We'd like to keep the budget at around $780-800 (would like to keep under the $625K), and that doesn't leave us with a lot of options.    For now, we are going to see what comes up, and adjust accordingly.

Congrats.

Is this a new game... Guess Where Akim is Moving?

So from what I'm reading... you are selling your house before you find a new one?

Laguna Altura?

The economy found it's hope. Now we know at least one 600k house will be sold :)
Do let us know where/what you decided to buy. Tustin Ranch has some good homes too, but then it wouldn't solve your 261/ 5 issue.

Sounds like he is a big fan of Cal Pac's Campanile or Portisol. I wonder why he like them or may be the plans were designed with Asian stereotype in mind like Akim.

Great! Good news on your escrow.  :)

So how is it that you will be selling a house before buying another? Is there a general strategy you're thinking of for this? Would be great to know. Its a general predicament I am sure many homeowners would fall into some time in their life

well... back in 2009, we decided to pre-register in December for the opening of the 2010 new home collection.  This was during a period of time that we saw prices falling through the floor...  at that time, i decided that it'd be better to hang on to our home.      i quickly find out that we didn't make enough money to qualify to own 2 homes, that builders weren't selling on contingency, and we were caught in a situation...    what i SHOULD have done was scurried to put our house on the market (especially when they had homebuyer credits), but life got in the way.  So we were stuck on the sidelines waiting.   

We continued to look, and we started making more money, had some more funds set aside, and started the search again (and even went into escrow once...  long story)...  at the end of the day, we decided that the best thing to do would be to sell our house and take the funds to use for a nice down payment on a home we could comfortably afford.    I'm not trying to start a RE career by loading up on rental properties, just trying to find a home.    So, with housing prices coming down, and with interest rates so attractive, we decided to go for it to find the house that we can be in for a long time.    The situation that would allow us the greatest flexibilty to make the best offers would be to have a good chunk of liquid cash in the bank (we are not all cash buyers) and even potentially bid on some short sales.   

We've always kept our house in good order, and were able to sell it quickly.    I'm tossing 1000000000 different scenarios in my head, including involving my mother (a whole separate thread), but for now we are gonna go a pretty conservative route.  It is pretty scary to sell your home and go back to an apartment, but we're comfortable with the idea.  A storage unit + apt we can live with,and I can break a lease if we need to.    Just need to find the right house, and I hope this spring's selling season has something to offer. 

Laguna Altura?  Even though I like the area, there's not enough "value" in it for us at this time... and it's a bit more than we want to spend.    With some cash to spend, we are even thinking of the fixer upper route in North Tustin (we did take a look at the house on Equestrian that is currently in escrow) timing just wasnt right... 

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sounds like he is a big fan of Cal Pac's Campanile or Portisol. I wonder why he like them or may be the plans were designed with Asian stereotype in mind like Akim.

im sure it was designed for me... but i wouldnt say for asian...

im just an uninspired, busy person who doesnt want to deal with too much...    efficiency and functionality are a must for me...  i'm also pretty minimalistic and simple...  i dont want to garden, or paint, or design, or anything...  i just want a good layout in a nice neighborhood.  If  I get any spare time, I would choose to spend it with my family at the park or just at home...    if that's what all asians are... then yes the home is designed for asians... 

MovingOnUp said:
Home prices are only going to go up...and quickly.

Prepare to be priced out forever.
serious-1.jpg

No that it's of interest, but I finally closed on selling my first place...  (sad, but no regrets). 

I realized why I always thought that selling a house would be tough (it's more than a hassle)...    Termites in a 10 yr old home?  You betcha!    Buyers negotiating price after going into escrow?  You betcha!    Luckily, both brokers were willing to shave their commissions to almost nothing to keep the deal in place (here's an indication that you can't always just look at the sales price as we "netted" what we would have if we had sold for $20K more with full commission).    Asking for our new(er) fridge, washer and dryer?  You betcha!  I have to say, I'm glad it's all done, and I hope its not something I get into regularly...   

What else did I learn?

Kudos to my movers... who moved every piece of furniture out without a single nick in the wall  (then I dropped a picture frame ughh)...   

The Magic Eraser is truly magic... 

I learned that all home inspections are stating that you have to make your fireplace such that the flue can never be"completely closed".    Unfortunately, they never tell people that there is no specific part that does this.    When I first asked the guys at Home Depot and Lowe's, they both commented that tons of people ask for this magical part, but that it does not exist.    After examining the flue and calling the inspector, I quickly realized that you can just stick any type of clamp on the darn thing to create a gap (so that it doesnt close all the way).  It costs $2.    Duh.

Don't ever try to epoxy a chip in a sink/tub without sufficient ventilation (long story)..  but you are dealing with some smelly chemicals... 

The list goes on...

So where to from here?  Unfortunately, a few houses we were looking at went pending while we were in escrow (and subsequently closed)...    We've lost out on bids on a couple of fixer uppers...    and there really isn't ANY inventory out there, period.    We looked at Lambert Ranch, but were uninspired...    So for now, we are shacked up in a 650sq ft IAC apartment for the next 7 months... 

akim997 said:
No that it's of interest, but I finally closed on selling my first place...  (sad, but no regrets). 

I realized why I always thought that selling a house would be tough (it's more than a hassle)...    Termites in a 10 yr old home?  You betcha!    Buyers negotiating price after going into escrow?  You betcha!    Luckily, both brokers were willing to shave their commissions to almost nothing to keep the deal in place (here's an indication that you can't always just look at the sales price as we "netted" what we would have if we had sold for $20K more with full commission).    Asking for our new(er) fridge, washer and dryer?  You betcha!  I have to say, I'm glad it's all done, and I hope its not something I get into regularly...   

What else did I learn?

Kudos to my movers... who moved every piece of furniture out without a single nick in the wall  (then I dropped a picture frame ughh)...   

The Magic Eraser is truly magic... 

I learned that all home inspections are stating that you have to make your fireplace such that the flue can never be"completely closed".    Unfortunately, they never tell people that there is no specific part that does this.    When I first asked the guys at Home Depot and Lowe's, they both commented that tons of people ask for this magical part, but that it does not exist.    After examining the flue and calling the inspector, I quickly realized that you can just stick any type of clamp on the darn thing to create a gap (so that it doesnt close all the way).  It costs $2.    Duh.

Don't ever try to epoxy a chip in a sink/tub without sufficient ventilation (long story)..  but you are dealing with some smelly chemicals... 

The list goes on...

So where to from here?  Unfortunately, a few houses we were looking at went pending while we were in escrow (and subsequently closed)...    We've lost out on bids on a couple of fixer uppers...    and there really isn't ANY inventory out there, period.    We looked at Lambert Ranch, but were uninspired...    So for now, we are shacked up in a 650sq ft IAC apartment for the next 7 months... 
Congrats on the sale, I'm sure it was bitter sweet.  Would you mind sharing with us the name of the movers for everyone on here?

ok, but it's a bit embarrassing...  these days, everything for me is off of yelp (time and convenience factor)....  tinted car windows, handy man, movers, etc...    (and I've been pretty happy with the results)...

found these guys on yelp:http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-relocation-placentia-3

Guys are pretty ghetto (meth teeth/ tats) and the moving truck was haggard...    but they were pretty reasonable, used care (blankets, tape, etc.)  and worked pretty hard.  I did pay a bit more than I originally thought (8 hrs of work w/ drive time), but I'm not going to argue over a few 100 bucks  (paid a tad under $600).    Overall, I was pleased with what I got.  Part of it was my fault as I asked for 2 guys (vs. 3) as I thought it wouldnt be a huge job and it did take longer than expected.

When I move, I will use them again. 

I think when (if) we move... we'll just start over. Everything goes into the trash or Goodwill (except for our electronics, TVs, clothes and bedroom furniture) and then just buy new appliances and new 1st floor furniture.

So downstairs will be brand new, upstairs will be 90s (okay... I'm kidding... 2000s).

@akim997
Turning the page is never easy
At least you have your Lakers Playoff tickets, which they just conveniently billed us for, to fall back on and get you thru the transition period  :D

Back