Friday Boredom - Your Pet Peeves

qwerty said:
my pet peeve is just seeing the line 5-6 cars deep at the costco gas station. you save 10 cents a gallon on what 15 gallons? you save $1.50 maybe $2 and you have to wait for 5 cars to fill up. in a best case scenario you wait 10 minutes before your turn. its probably closer to 15 minutes.

no offense to AW or any one else, i just figured for all the big ballers in irvine you would value 15 minutes more than $1.50. there is a gas station on every ones way home or work so it cant be a convenience thing.
My commute is down Jamboree so easy to stop at Costco but in the morning's when I fill up (on way to work), I never run into any issues so its a double-win for me (saves money and convenient).

8:30am drop off at my local elementary has been difficult recently, I drive thru on the way to work and had to go 10-15 mph due to all the 'pop out first, look second jaywalkers'.  Looks like IUSD ticket patrol is cut back during the summer.  I'm gonna rat these lazy ass parents out, too many kids can get hurt.  Emailed my local traffic officer and already got an email response.  Nice.

traffic_zpsqh4hrrnf.jpg
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/ipd/divisions/traffic/area_traffic_officer_program.asp

When you're at the grocery store... you know... getting something. And a person behind you says, "Excuse me. Can you please move?" NOT because they want to pass by but because they want to be in your place, standing exactly where you are standing to get what you're getting. Um. How about NO. How about wait your turn. Your time is not more valuable than mine. When I see somebody is where I need to be, I make a mental note and try again a few minutes later when it's less busy. If it's still busy, I try again later and if it still is then I just stand there and wait in line behind them. Usually people will just be a second anyway. I don't tell people to get out of my way. So rude. A lot of times what rude people will do is literally stretch their arm past you, right in front of your face, an inch from your nose, to "just grab a few things" while basically saying 'sorry not sorry' at the same time. Never actually had anybody say "move" before.

Dyson air blade hand dryers in public restrooms.  Filthy, slimy, usually have water puddles in the bottom with water droplets spraying all over when people use them.

Cripes put a drain hole in the things so water doesn't pool

nosuchreality said:
Dyson air blade hand dryers in public restrooms.  Filthy, slimy, usually have water puddles in the bottom with water droplets spraying all over when people use them.

I'm not kidding, I check before I use those fancy dryers and I often see pubic hairs. What kind of people would have pubic hairs on their hands after washing. Oh wait... OMG.

WillJoy said:
nosuchreality said:

I'm not kidding, I check before I use those fancy dryers and I often see pubic hairs. What kind of people would have pubic hairs on their hands after washing. Oh wait... OMG.

How do you know it's public hairs?  Maybe some people just have hairy palms. :)

Argh. I've blundered into the new air blade v today.  Highly improved, same air blade, sans shielding now the stuff just sprays everywhere as it flies off people's hands.  No little puddle in the air blade though, just the big puddle on the floor and in a 2 foot arc on either side.

Puke

Can someone explain to me what shopkins are and why boys & girls under the age of 10 are arguing with their moms about it at target?

Miley Cyrus.

I'm relieved those VMA commercials are over. Looking at her causes a violent churning action in my stomach.

Channeling my inner-Iho here. Tough day at the school pick-up. School parking lots and pick-up/drop-off areas are the pits. For the first time in my life, I got flipped the bird. Not too bad I guess that I made it this long. However, it was by somebody I had every reason to flip off twice before she did it to me once, however, I refused. It just isn't an appropriate reaction especially at a school and especially with kids in the car, no matter how much we may want to. That said, this driver was a complete jerk. Apparently they think they own the road. First, while in a long line of cars and directly in front of me, her husband (the passenger) got impatient, hopped out in the middle of the street and meandered through traffic to walk and go get the kid. I thought that was unconventional and risky but whatever, I let it go. Then, eventually as we pull forward, I see the car parked at the very entrance to the pick-up lane which is way prior to where you are actually allowed to load kids. The line in front of her was entirely clear... I'm talking probably a dozen car lengths or so. Cars are supposed to continuously move forward, as staff continuously motions the drivers to do, and not pick up until a certain point or even at the very opposite end of the drive-thru. She sat there so long, I began to wonder if they were having mechanical trouble. I thought the car between us should proceed and go around because it seemed reasonable enough. Now, normally I am entirely against merging into a pick-up lane from a through-traffic lane. In fact, it is a pet peeve of mine. I am not saying it is the right and preferable way to drive. Well, nobody was going and we are just sitting there, sitting there, sitting there forever -- and seemingly for nothing. Finally, I see her husband and kid approaching the vehicle and load from the driver's side (unsafe & not recommended), I might add. It turned out she was just being selfish and waiting for them there to give them the shortest walk possible. Ugh! And really who knows at that point if they are even ready to load. Maybe the kid could realize he forgot his lunchbox and back track, who knows. Nobody would go. So, I broke my own rule and decided to leave the lane and go around in much the same way you would go around a car that was stalled in the middle of a lane rather than wait for a tow truck to arrive and clear the lane. At just that time, she decided to gas it with the passengers barely in the car. Then, I gunned it to get out of her way, leaving my car in front of hers. She nearly hit me while blowing her horn. No problem, though, I thought it was all over. After I pull up properly to load my kid, they pass me, and I get behind them. She was mouthing words to me in the side view mirror and staring at me, giving me dirty looks. I just ignored her. Then she held the bird firmly in the side view mirror a while. Really nice!  I mean, how dare anyone pass her. Given the choice to have a do-over, I probably would just stick to my original plan of staying in the lane and like I said, I do take my share of responsibility in this since it didn't go as I had thought it would. I just think it sucks when people treat each other this way. Heck, I've been in their shoes. My kid had trouble with closing the trunk before and therefore, I was holding up traffic myself. But you know what? I expected people to go around so I looked very, very carefully before proceeding, because you can't leave the lane free and not use it for an extended period of time and expect the world to wait on you. It never occured to me to go around flipping them off. People are crazy.  :-\

SoCal said:
Channeling my inner-Iho here. Tough day at the school pick-up. School parking lots and pick-up/drop-off areas are the pits. For the first time in my life, I got flipped the bird. Not too bad I guess that I made it this long. However, it was by somebody I had every reason to flip off twice before she did it to me once, however, I refused. It just isn't an appropriate reaction especially at a school and especially with kids in the car, no matter how much we may want to. That said, this driver was a complete jerk. Apparently they think they own the road. First, while in a long line of cars and directly in front of me, her husband (the passenger) got impatient, hopped out in the middle of the street and meandered through traffic to walk and go get the kid. I thought that was unconventional and risky but whatever, I let it go. Then, eventually as we pull forward, I see the car parked at the very entrance to the pick-up lane which is way prior to where you are actually allowed to load kids. The line in front of her was entirely clear... I'm talking probably a dozen car lengths or so. Cars are supposed to continuously move forward, as staff continuously motions the drivers to do, and not pick up until a certain point or even at the very opposite end of the drive-thru. She sat there so long, I began to wonder if they were having mechanical trouble. I thought the car between us should proceed and go around because it seemed reasonable enough. Now, normally I am entirely against merging into a pick-up lane from a through-traffic lane. In fact, it is a pet peeve of mine. I am not saying it is the right and preferable way to drive. Well, nobody was going and we are just sitting there, sitting there, sitting there forever -- and seemingly for nothing. Finally, I see her husband and kid approaching the vehicle and load from the driver's side (unsafe & not recommended), I might add. It turned out she was just being selfish and waiting for them there to give them the shortest walk possible. Ugh! And really who knows at that point if they are even ready to load. Maybe the kid could realize he forgot his lunchbox and back track, who knows. Nobody would go. So, I broke my own rule and decided to leave the lane and go around in much the same way you would go around a car that was stalled in the middle of a lane rather than wait for a tow truck to arrive and clear the lane. At just that time, she decided to gas it with the passengers barely in the car. Then, I gunned it to get out of her way, leaving my car in front of hers. She nearly hit me while blowing her horn. No problem, though, I thought it was all over. After I pull up properly to load my kid, they pass me, and I get behind them. She was mouthing words to me in the side view mirror and staring at me, giving me dirty looks. I just ignored her. Then she held the bird firmly in the side view mirror a while. Really nice!  I mean, how dare anyone pass her. Given the choice to have a do-over, I probably would just stick to my original plan of staying in the lane and like I said, I do take my share of responsibility in this since it didn't go as I had thought it would. I just think it sucks when people treat each other this way. Heck, I've been in their shoes. My kid had trouble with closing the trunk before and therefore, I was holding up traffic myself. But you know what? I expected people to go around so I looked very, very carefully before proceeding, because you can't leave the lane free and not use it for an extended period of time and expect the world to wait on you. It never occured to me to go around flipping them off. People are crazy.  :-\
So Paris picks up at the same school as you?  :) Seriously, maybe the bird lady didn't know you were waiting behind her and thought you were cutting into the pick up lane? 

SoCal said:

Sounds like you cut her off, just like Paris did.  Too bad your husband isn't a Marine.

The petty price gouging and profiteering that is running rampant through our society of people buying up anything in limited supply and then selling it on eBay or Craigslist. 

Disney annual passes are today's example. Collectibles are regular items.  Popular toys with the holidays will be gouged all over the place.

WTTCHMN said:
Sounds like you cut her off, just like Paris did.  Too bad your husband isn't a Marine.

Honestly, it looked like they were trying to cut ME off just to prevent me from passing them. For some people, it's an ego thing to not let others pass by. They have to be first. They own the road. Like I said earlier, the passengers were barely in the vehicle when the driver suddenly decided to take off as I was next to them. They didn't even have any reason to leave their lane at all since they ended up getting right back in it after leaving it! Kind of petty. Also, when we went to leave the lot, they barged into a turn-lane but left their vehicle slanted with the rear impeding my lane next to them so that I could not go ahead. And once again, the path was perfectly clear in my lane, if it were not for them. Then when they had plenty of room to proceed, they didn't. Pretty sure that was either intentional to purposely impede my path or just because they're so obtuse and inconsiderate of others around them as they already proved when they obstructed traffic the first time... the second time... and the third time.

I think I may have said this... too lazy to look:

People who use speakerphone but put the phone right next to their ear or face anyways.

Or people with a headphone/mic set and they still speak into the phone... what?!?

There should be a special level in Hell reserved for the person who invented "starter" or "setup" ink/toner cartridges that come with printers nowadays.

Needing to round up some groceries, I head to the store. Chewbaca's face is awkwardly consuming the entire Coffee Mate creamer bottle. Every flavor is an alternate character. A shelf of R2DS and C3POs confuses my eyes such that I can no longer discern what the flavors are. I go to Kohl's to purchase sleepwear for myself. There, in the women's section of all places, is a giant picture of a starship plastered all over the pajamas. Coordinating tiny starship printed pants available for a limited time. AS IF! No, thank you. Moving on. I switch departments to look for some t-shirts where I am immediately confronted with walking billboards i.e. tees for... well, what else. I realize I need to run an errand at Target. In I go. Crap. We meet again. Everywhere I turn, there it is, in every nook and cranny. In the most ridiculous of places. Like a creepy ex stalking you by pretending to casually drop by. Talk about overkill. Already burned out from this movie and it's not even out yet.

SoCal said:
Needing to round up some groceries, I head to the store. Chewbaca's face is awkwardly consuming the entire Coffee Mate creamer bottle. Every flavor is an alternate character. A shelf of R2DS and C3POs confuses my eyes such that I can no longer discern what the flavors are. I go to Kohl's to purchase sleepwear for myself. There, in the women's section of all places, is a giant picture of a starship plastered all over the pajamas. Coordinating tiny starship printed pants available for a limited time. AS IF! No, thank you. Moving on. I switch departments to look for some t-shirts where I am immediately confronted with walking billboards i.e. tees for... well, what else. I realize I need to run an errand at Target. In I go. Crap. We meet again. Everywhere I turn, there it is, in every nook and cranny. In the most ridiculous of places. Like a creepy ex stalking you by pretending to casually drop by. Talk about overkill. Already burned out from this movie and it's not even out yet.

keep-calm-may-the-force-be-with-you-12.png

When food stores set out uncovered, un-monitored, easy access samples, especially at kid-height. Or should I say, people who don't look after their kids in public and don't teach them to mind their manners.

I was in a deli section where they had jars of apple butter, jams, etc. with plastic spoons in them. In front of those, there were picked-over trays of salami and cheese cubes and crackers. I was standing near them. A boy around 8 asked me: "What are these for?" I just KNEW if I told him they had anything at all to do with free + eating, he would be all over that. So, I pretended not to hear him and hoped his mom would come keep an eye on him. He followed me around the store then I had to go back to the same spot and there he was. He asked me again: "What are they forrrrr?!" At this point, he was climbing UP onto the refrigerated case with his shoes on/in it. I very carefully chose my words, hoping he wouldn't really understand what it meant. I said: "Sampling." My companion wanted to try the apple butter so I used the spoon to put some on a cracker and replaced the spoon in the jar. Next thing I know, he grabs a spoon from a jar of jam, scoops up a glob, puts the entire thing in his mouth, licks it ALL over, and then goes to stick it right back in the JAR!  :eek: I just about had a heart attack. I screamed: "NO, NOOOO!" He wasn't stopping, still climbing to stick it in. Had to grab the kid's hand and take that spoon away from him. *Shiver*. Watch those samples and probably salad bars, too. Makes me wonder how many times this happens.

Back