Friday Boredom - Your Pet Peeves

nosuchreality said:
Energy Upgrade California commercials that are scraping the barrel to encourage you to unplugged your coffee pot and dim your screens because darker screens use up to 20% less energy.

Darker screen and GOT just don't mix well...

nosuchreality said:
Energy Upgrade California commercials that are scraping the barrel to encourage you to unplugged your coffee pot and dim your screens because darker screens use up to 20% less energy.

More ridiculous than energy conservation is water conservation. If you get a chance, watch the documentary Water & Power: A California Heist. You realize what joke it is that Socal residents have been brainwashed into installing artificial turf and taking short showers when 80% of water use is for agriculture! It's absolutely nuts that we allow California farmers in the central valley to grow water wasting pistachios and almonds.

Bad drivers is constant theme on this thread, my other one is bossy drivers.

You know who they are, they are the ones who honk at you trying to tell you what to do because they think they know how to drive better than you.

Some guy in a Lambo did this to me the other day, I was waiting for a biker to cross and he honked at me like "Just run him over!". And then when I finally went, he went around my right side (on single lane street) just to show me who he was and give me that "I'm posting about you on a TI Pet Peeves thread" look.

I laughed... which I think angered him even more and then turned into a parking lot. Then he vroomed off only to have to stop at the next light. I wonder if he honked at the light too.

eyephone reminded me of this:

paper straws

Why even make them if they last only 10 minutes before they turn to mush.  I was eating at Panini Kabob Grill a few weeks ago and I think I went through 4 of those straws... even the waitress said they suck (punny!).

Virtue signalling can be fatal..

Woman Dies After Being Impaled by Reusable Metal Straw

A woman in England died after falling onto a reusable metal straw, which pierced her head, and the tragic accident has renewed debate over bans on plastic straws, according to news reports.

The woman, 60-year-old Elena Struthers-Gardner, was carrying a glass with a 10-inch-long stainless-steel straw when she fell and the straw impaled her eye, causing fatal brain injuries, according to the Daily Echo, a British newspaper.

https://www.livescience.com/65925-metal-straw-death.html

morekaos said:

A woman in England died after falling onto a reusable metal straw, which pierced her head, and the tragic accident has renewed debate over bans on plastic straws, according to news reports.

The woman, 60-year-old Elena Struthers-Gardner, was carrying a glass with a 10-inch-long stainless-steel straw when she fell and the straw impaled her eye, causing fatal brain injuries, according to the Daily Echo, a British newspaper.

This will only encourage the paper straw proponents.

iacrenter said:
morekaos said:

This will only encourage the paper straw proponents.

...because Thanos is their hero?
https://youtu.be/oIDXqtlEWLo

https://youtu.be/oIDXqtlEWLo

Alright, I've slowly been getting used to the quieter, calmer neighborhood with less jets overhead, less cars racing down the street and far less cars with music blaring.

Today, my gardener is outside. For the last 20 minutes he has been running the leaf blower  ten leaves around the yard to get a pile to pick up.  I am not being facitious, literally there ten leaves in the pile.

Maybe he's trying to supplement all the missing pollution in the air over the last month. 

But NSR c'mon, you've got too much time on your hands to be creeping on this guy out the window ;)

I know we need to keep the economy going but... recently witnessed janitor wiping down ALL the tables at my local TIC strip mall where there are NO chairs. I also see her taking pictures of the tables with her phone. Maybe she has to document her cleaning efforts (before and after photos).

Here I sit, in a State, in a country with the largest economy in the world.  In State whose economy by itself is the fifth largest country economy in the world watching commercials about electrical blackouts during a summer heat wave for I lost count of how many years now, a decade, maybe more, because we are unwilling to build an electrical grid that will actually work when we need it.

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Oooh... that reminds me of a pet peeve I may have already mentioned and it's about pets.

- People who bring their tiny dogs into stores/malls/restaurants/whatever claiming they are service dogs.

They even have vests on them indicating they are "therapy dogs". As far as I know, "therapy dogs" aren't covered under the "service dog" umbrella. I see managers struggle with trying to tell someone that pets aren't allowed and quite often they look the other way to not get caught in some angry exchange but they can ask 2 specific questions:

? Is the dog required because of a disability?

? What task or service has the dog been trained to do?

Usually, the people faking it can't answer one or both of those to satisfaction.

I like dogs just as much as qwerlupa, but don't abuse the rules just because you didn't want to leave YoQuieroTacoBell at home.

Sorry... I have to bring this up again.

Lately, I've been seeing more and more people bringing their dogs into places they shouldn't. Just the other day, a couple had a dog with them at a restaurant. Looked like a chihuahua and was wearing one of those vests... but the couple was young and neither looked like they had a disability. And both of them got up to go to the bathroom leaving the dog with the other. So if it's a service dog, what service was it for? A waitress even petted the dog.

I guess I really don't have the right to complain as I don't confront anyone I see doing this but that's what the Internet is for.

I know it's not Friday but 6 years later and this keeps getting worse.

I see dogs in Target, Ralphs etc... maybe even South Coast Plaza?

Especially with couples... can't one of them stay outside while the other shops?

At least the ones who put them in strollers or bags are trying to hide them.. the ones who are just walking them on a leash kill me.

I?m a big animal lover but it?s always best to just leave pets at home in the air conditioner. Not sure why that isn?t clear to people. The dogs can get hurt slipping/sliding across the seats or in a car accident etc. A lot of times you see dogs panting in the back seat because the air vents are very strong in the back of the car. Also, it?s one thing to take a small dog to a store but I?ve seen people with big as dogs. It?s only a matter of time before we hear about one of these large dogs biting a kid passing by in the face.

nosuchreality said:
Alright, I've slowly been getting used to the quieter, calmer neighborhood with less jets overhead, less cars racing down the street and far less cars with music blaring.

Today, my gardener is outside. For the last 20 minutes he has been running the leaf blower  ten leaves around the yard to get a pile to pick up.  I am not being facitious, literally there ten leaves in the pile.

Do they start at 8 in the morning on the weekend like mine do? Drives me nuts

So this time we were on the bikes. Stopped on the side of the road where waiting to cross the middle of a street (clearly marked bike cross)... a truck stops for us so we proceed to cross, I'm in the back... my buddy is in the front and as he start to cross, a Tesla passes the truck on the left goes into the middle turn lane and almost runs over my buddy... I yell at him when I see this unfolding and he slows down and the car just misses him and keeps going without stopping.

@morekaos Please check the road when you are driving your $100k Model 3. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that happened, glad no one got hurt!

There are too many bad and entitled drivers and it is not only annoying but very dangerous!

Back