Franchises

irvinehomeowner

There was an article in the OC Register regarding low-cost franchises (less than $50k):
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/franchise-354642-low-business.html

We've been interested in these since the end-goal is to actually have one of us stay home with the kids and do part-time work or their own business (need to do something during school hours).

Some of the ones we have interest in deal with either kids, fitness, travel or beauty care.

This article has a list of the best to own (I think I've posted this before):
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/franchise-340859-allbusiness-growth.html

Of course McDonald's and Subway are on there, but one of the interesting ones is Kumon because of the low start-up costs.

I've started up my own retail business a few times before and it's actually pretty easy if you can build the customer base but since most likely it's my wife who will head this up... she's more interested in something that's not brick and mortar so she can be more flexible with her schedule. Something like Cruise Planners (from American Express) might work because it is home-based and can be run by one person but I just wonder if those travel services are becoming extinct because of the Internet.

Other than our resident Donut Star franchisee... is there anyone who owns a franchise or knows someone who does and can give us some insight as to the pros and cons?

a lot of friends we know own comfort inns and subways and the theme seems to be family run businesses.  ie, entire family is involved in the operations which cuts down costs a ton and ups the trust and quality factor

we are in same boat as you IHO and i would like to have something which doesnt have me doing manual labor or getting all the rkp-ians involved

I've heard that you can't just join any franchise you want, even if you've got the money for it.  McDonald's controls where to open new restaurants.  If you want in, you can't just pony up the money.  Since they're all money makers, you have to have connections to be able to buy in.  So if you're a proven owner, you get the chance to buy restaurants.

I've also heard the same about the bigger franchises.

I wouldn't want to run anything that deals with food service though... too much hassle and too much liability.

My preference is something that is within our interest sphere so the work doesn't seem like... well... work. Doing kid's fitness like JumpBunch is something that seems interesting and rewarding, however not sure how it would be dealing with other kids... and their parents. I looked into some Lego activity business... but realizing my kid will probably grow out of that soon... it may not have legs.

irvinehomeowner said:
I've also heard the same about the bigger franchises.

I wouldn't want to run anything that deals with food service though... too much hassle and too much liability.

My preference is something that is within our interest sphere so the work doesn't seem like... well... work. Doing kid's fitness like JumpBunch is something that seems interesting and rewarding, however not sure how it would be dealing with other kids... and their parents. I looked into some Lego activity business... but realizing my kid will probably grow out of that soon... it may not have legs.

We should check into opening up another Montessori school.
Long waiting lists at Leport and Northwood may translate into opportunity

Maybe we can buy some land and build over priced homes with motorcourts and then hopefully one day Chindians will find interest in purchasing these homes from us.  We can name it Irvine um.....

homer_simpson said:
IHO, if you need some ideas for franchises just ask  ;)  I might be out there Saturday, we can chit chat it up!
On a side note... I may need you to help me coach the future Jeremy Lins of the world. :)

WoodburyDad said:
We should check into opening up another Montessori school.
Long waiting lists at Leport and Northwood may translate into opportunity
Yeah... if you've read my education threads... there actually seems to be a need for private Elem schools in Irvine too. While IUSD schools are good... there is  probably a sizable amount of parents willing to send their kids to a private Elem with smaller class sizes and more personal attention. Seems to be nothing in the grade 4-6 level.

I've figured out how to get around the food services issue (there is a meal service you can partner with) but the harder things are facility and staff. Accreditation can't happen immediately anyways.

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
IHO, if you need some ideas for franchises just ask  ;)  I might be out there Saturday, we can chit chat it up!
On a side note... I may need you to help me coach the future Jeremy Lins of the world. :)

I'm listening, hows the pay? lol

irvinehomeowner said:
Some of the ones we have interest in deal with either kids, fitness, travel or beauty care.

Sounds to me like you want to be an Avon rep. Do it, IHO. Do it. You would be the cutest Avon Lady ever!

rkp said:
anyone else thinking of a car wash and breaking bad?

That show messed me up.  I think any little business is now a cover.  Went to the drycleaner last week  and all I was thinking was "what is their real business?"  I think the same thing everytime I go to a yogurt shop.

26inirvine said:
rkp said:
anyone else thinking of a car wash and breaking bad?

That show messed me up.  I think any little business is now a cover.  Went to the drycleaner last week  and all I was thinking was "what is their real business?"  I think the same thing everytime I go to a yogurt shop.
Aha... so donut stores too right?

so outside of a donut store, no one else does their own thing here?

we looked at buying a mailbox etc before they became UPS stores...this was like 5 or 6 years ago and our idea was something we didnt have to run daily.  the income wasnt that great but the idea was owning many of them.

frankly, i am surprised that a franchise like nothing bundt cakes is doing well with their district location.  its completely off of the walking path and while many TI people love it, its almost always empty when i go in.  i am curious on how much a franchise like that makes.  maybe TI cake lovers pool their money and open a location in spectrum where there is tons of foot traffic

Back