Franchises

homer - care to share how you got into donut business?  did you guys start from scratch?  is it a franchise? 

rkp said:
homer - care to share how you got into donut business?  did you guys start from scratch?  is it a franchise?

PM me RKP.

As for franchises, a few simple ones to get into would be Togos or Peets coffee.  I'm very familiar with these two franchises as a few of my relatives owns a few of them in Southern and Northern California. 

If we're going to do one... it will probably have to be home-based or location-based (like at a school).

Brick & mortar adds another level of expense (especially in Irvine) and complexity.

Personally, I've thought about starting a kids basketball training program... but I'm not sure of the insurance requirement using public park courts (like NJB, IBL and other youth organizations do). But that probably wouldn't be something that could generate measurable income (without me feeling guilty about it).

irvinehomeowner said:
If we're going to do one... it will probably have to be home-based or location-based (like at a school).

Brick & mortar adds another level of expense (especially in Irvine) and complexity.

Personally, I've thought about starting a kids basketball training program... but I'm not sure of the insurance requirement using public park courts (like NJB, IBL and other youth organizations do). But that probably wouldn't be something that could generate measurable income (without me feeling guilty about it).

After a careful study of demographics, I have decided to start a class "to let the kids be kids". Irvine mommies would be happy that it's a 'scheduled and paid activity', and kids will be happy with some downtime. A room full of toys to drive their imagination- no screens of any kind.. OK, on second thoughts let me stick to the topic.

I am looking into home health care too. But they need 7 people to start with (?).
Three months to go, and if I didn't find anything, I will be making coffee at an Architect's office, unpaid.

Hey, IHO.

You would be perfect at that. Please take a look at this webpage if you are thinking of starting a basketball camp for kids. Teaching a class through the City's Parks and Rec department may be a great way to start. It will list everything you need to know. You need a business license, fingerprints, and insurance. You submit a proposal for something they don't already offer (that's the clincher) and they will keep it on file for a year. It's a 50/50 split between the instructor and the city. From my own observation it seems the instructors find ways to make more by tacking on a "materials fee". They can get excessive. With B-ball, I don't know. But it's something to think about.
http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/cityhall/cs/employment/teach_a_class.asp

SoCal78 said:
Hey, IHO.

You would be perfect at that. Please take a look at this webpage if you are thinking of starting a basketball camp for kids. Teaching a class through the City's Parks and Rec department may be a great way to start. It will list everything you need to know. You need a business license, fingerprints, and insurance. You submit a proposal for something they don't already offer (that's the clincher) and they will keep it on file for a year. It's a 50/50 split between the instructor and the city. From my own observation it seems the instructors find ways to make more by tacking on a "materials fee". They can get excessive. With B-ball, I don't know. But it's something to think about.
http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/cityhall/cs/employment/teach_a_class.asp

I saw that they started a "Pre-algebra class". I can teach that, and I can make it easier for the kids- but no, I can't do it via city, because I don't have credentials! I think it comes close to $25 per class. Even if city kept half of it, with ten kids, it's good money with material fees..

Avoid the the Sand Canyon and Jeffrey exits off the 5 Fwy. All those drivers are house poor and can't afford to pay you. Have you been to Disneyland? The Asian kids have nothing but the Mexican kids are always the ones with balloons, glow  in the dark thingy, hats and other expensive useless toys.

SoCal78 said:
My husband told me to sell balloon animals on the freeway off-ramp.  :(

irvinehomeshopper said:
Avoid the the Sand Canyon and Jeffrey exits off the 5 Fwy. All those drivers are house poor and can't afford to pay you. Have you been to Disneyland? The Asian kids have nothing but the Mexican kids are always the ones with balloons, glow  in the dark thingy, hats and other expensive useless toys.

SoCal78 said:

my observation of my friends at disneyland is that the more you make, the less you buy.  same with tipping.  my high income friends tip exactly 15% and check it twice on their smart phones where as my other friends who dont make much tip 20-25%. 

rkp said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

SoCal78 said:

my observation of my friends at disneyland is that the more you make, the less you buy.  same with tipping.  my high income friends tip exactly 15% and check it twice on their smart phones where as my other friends who dont make much tip 20-25%.

so true!

Before my wife became a lawyer, she was a waitress in high school. We have tipped 15% or less exactly twice.

Speaking of franchises, it appears TIC has killed all of the indy ones in fashion island and have replaced them with larger groups. Anyone have inside knowledge of whats going on? Raised rent to "non-elite" franchises?

irvinehomeowner said:
So we are still looking.

Does anyone know anything about those education-enhancement franchises like Kumon or MathMonkey?

Do a Lego shop. Duh.

How about YMCA after school care in Irvine?

irvinehomeowner said:
So we are still looking.

Does anyone know anything about those education-enhancement franchises like Kumon or MathMonkey?

gld2 said:
How about YMCA after school care in Irvine?
Not sure if you're saying that I should start a YMCA.

There is already a Boy&Girls Club in Woodbridge.

After looking at the franchising fees for Kumon, while reasonable, the physical location requirements for an expensive area such as Irvine are killer... and Kumon requires a 3-year lease minimum. Additionally... the training is out in New Jersey... no Skype?

Back