Experts admit global warming predictions wrong

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
We are leading...and going to stay there for a very long time...

America is now the world's largest oil producer

Move over Russia and Saudi Arabia. America has reclaimed its throne atop the oil world.
For the first time since 1973, the United States is the world's largest producer of crude oil, according to preliminary estimates published on Wednesday by the Energy Department.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/12/investing/us-oil-production-russia-saudi-arabia/index.html

Oh good....it's like the leader of producing horses and buggies at the beginning of the 20th century.

Says the guy who's carbon footprint is probably 20x that of the average human being.  Doh!

Yes..then we should try to do nothing until everyone else catches up! 

Seriously...I wish MAGAers and GOPers would just come out and say that they are selfish and they don't want to do anything different because they don't want to.  Just admit it.  It's like Libertarians claiming that they are for "liberty" when in fact they just want to do whatever they want to do because they want to.

Here's the thing... If you believe global warming is a crisis that needs to be averted, then why aren't you doing everything in your power to change how you live... RIGHT NOW!  Why does it take heavy handed government action to force you to sell your over-sized Irvine box, sell your multiple vehicles, stop flying on planes, stop commuting to an office, and start riding your bike everywhere?  The global warming alarmists want to increase government control of our lives, but they don't even want to make small changes in their own lives. 

It doesn't take radical heavy-handed government policy to make social changes.  You can lead the charge by setting the example yourself (cut your own carbon usage before lecturing others), being nice to the opposition (something Irvinecommuter flatly rejects), and making a convincing case for what needs to change and why.  This is the libertarian approach and it will be much more successful than trying to ram legislation through that harms people's livelihoods, threatens their families, and leads to more suffering.

I'll admit it.  I don't care because I don't think there is anything we can do about it, even if it were true But, better to be that then a hypocrite...

Harrison Ford: leaders who deny climate change are 'on the wrong side of history'
Actor attacked Trump and other leaders at World Government Summit for denying science to justify not facing the ?moral crisis?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/12/harrison-ford-world-government-summit-climate-change-trump

OK mister Country size carbon footprint boy....

Harrison Ford
A keen aviator, Harrison Ford has a large collection of aircraft. The largest is his Cessna 208B Grand Caravan which consumes a massive 334 gallons of fuel per hour. He is also a collector of classic cars which have a low mpg rating, however, this is balanced out with his Tesla Model S. His passion about the climate change was evident when he spoke at the recent Global Climate Action Summit but with his array of gas guzzling vehicles, he can?t fight climate change Solo.

Celebrity Climate Hypocrites - which celebrities are really going green?

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/news/celebrity-climate-hypocrites.html

At least Ed Bagley walks the walk...I can respect that.

Liar Loan said:
Here's the thing... If you believe global warming is a crisis that needs to be averted, then why aren't you doing everything in your power to change how you live... RIGHT NOW!  Why does it take heavy handed government action to force you to sell your over-sized Irvine box, sell your multiple vehicles, stop flying on planes, stop commuting to an office, and start riding your bike everywhere?  The global warming alarmists want to increase government control of our lives, but they don't even want to make small changes in their own lives. 

It doesn't take radical heavy-handed government policy to make social changes.  You can lead the charge by setting the example yourself (cut your own carbon usage before lecturing others), being nice to the opposition (something Irvinecommuter flatly rejects), and making a convincing case for what needs to change and why.  This is the libertarian approach and it will be much more successful than trying to ram legislation through that harms people's livelihoods , threatens their families, and leads to suffering.

Thanks Yoda! 

I'm glad that you know about my life and what I have or have not done.  But again..why are you influenced by what I do or don't do?  If climate change and its effects are real, then who cares what I do or don't do? 

I guess we should have done the same in the Civil Rights movement...just wait until people come to their sense.  Clearly, if we wanted to go to the moon, each person should have just started building rockets in their backyard and boom...we are walking on the moon.  I guess the smog in LA cleared up because people decided to pollute less. 

Weird that conservatives are all for the concept of collective power when in comes to private corporations but not government. 

Oh..California has been setting examples for 30+ years on the environmental front...so the rest of the country should follow too right?

Again...just say that you are selfish and don't want to do anything different.

Edit:  Missed my favorite line...from a MAGA supporter

being nice to the opposition

morekaos said:
I'll admit it.  I don't care because I don't think there is anything we can do about it, even if it were true But, better to be that then a hypocrite...

Wait..the only reason why we should be doing something is because celebrities endorse or don't endorse it?  I mean shouldn't policies be based upon facts, science, and logic not whether George Clooney is for or against it?

I mean...again...just admit that you don't care and don't want to do anything different and stop deflecting.

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:

It doesn't take radical heavy-handed government policy to make social changes.  You can lead the charge by setting the example yourself (cut your own carbon usage before lecturing others), being nice to the opposition (something Irvinecommuter flatly rejects), and making a convincing case for what needs to change and why.  This is the libertarian approach and it will be much more successful than trying to ram legislation through that harms people's livelihoods , threatens their families, and leads to suffering.

Thanks Yoda! 

I guess we should have done the same in the Civil Rights movement...just wait until people come to their sense.  Clearly, if we wanted to go to the moon, each person should have just started building rockets in their backyard and boom...we are walking on the moon.  I guess the smog in LA cleared up because people decided to pollute less. 

Weird that conservatives are all for the concept of collective power when in comes to private corporations but not government. 

Oh..California has been setting examples for 30+ years on the environmental front...so the rest of the country should follow too right?

See you don't really believe in climate change either.  You're not willing to make even one small change to your own comfortable lifestyle.

This is why you will continue to lose on this issue.  Everybody sees the hypocrisy.  C'est la vie.

I just said I don't care about this issue but I agree with you on this.  California is leading the way...into the dumpster.

More Californians are considering fleeing the state as they blame sky-high costs, survey finds
A growing number of Californians are contemplating moving the state due to the sky-high cost of living, with sentiment highest among millennials, according to a new study.
Fifty-three percent say they are considering fleeing, representing a jump over the 49 percent a year ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/growing-number-of-californians-considering-moving-from-state-survey.html

Americans continue their march to low-tax states

According to Election Data Services, the following states are poised to gain seats:

Texas will gain three, from 36 to 39;
Florida will gain two, from 27 to 29;
Arizona will gain one, from nine to 10;
Colorado will gain one, from seven to eight;
Montana will gain one, from at-large to two;
North Carolina will gain one, from 13 to 14; and
Oregon will gain one, from five to six.

These states are poised to lose seats:

New York will lose two, from 27 to 25;
Alabama will lose one, from seven to six;
California will lose one or remain even, from 53 to 52 or no change;
Michigan will lose one, from 14 to 13;
Minnesota will lose one or remain even, from eight to seven or no change;
Ohio will lose one, from 16 to 15;
Pennsylvania will lose one, from 18 to 17;
Rhode Island will lose one, from two to one; and
West Virginia will lose one, from three to two.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/429623-americans-continue-their-march-to-low-tax-states

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:

Thanks Yoda! 

See you don't really believe in climate change either.  You're not willing to make even one small change to your own comfortable lifestyle.

This is why you will continue to lose on this issue.  Everybody sees the hypocrisy.  C'est la vie.

Again...what do you know or don't know about what I do?    Or what changes I would make or have made?

It's like taxes...I pay what I owe but I am all for more taxes.  I am all for more environmental regulations and support more shifts to the green economy.  I vote for politicians and policies that gear toward those goals.  Do you?

I am not trying to convince anyone here on the issue...climate change denier don't deny the science...they simply don't care.  It's the classic GOP/conservative playbook...find one example to counter the narrative and then feel better about themselves.  Illegal immigration is bad because that one illegal immigrant who murdered someone!  I feel better about my stance.

Again...just admit that you are comfortable and don't want to change rather than putting up this facade of psuedo science.

morekaos said:
I just said I don't care about this issue but I agree with you on this.  California is leading the way...into the dumpster.

More Californians are considering fleeing the state as they blame sky-high costs, survey finds
A growing number of Californians are contemplating moving the state due to the sky-high cost of living, with sentiment highest among millennials, according to a new study.
Fifty-three percent say they are considering fleeing, representing a jump over the 49 percent a year ago.

Sure...the biggest driver of living costs in California...is housing!  You know why...because a lot of people want to live here!  People don't want to live in Yuba County or Eureka...they want to live in BA or LA/OC/SD.  You know where it is also expensive to live?  New York, London, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul...weird that people still want to live there.

The prediction of California going into the ground is old as time
[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1994/11/09/californians-crowding-into-colorado/86418f92-e40e-4a10-978c-cf798d9dc0e3/?utm_term=.a80a9950dc02
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/jan/27/many-ex-california-cops-retire-to-idaho/
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/1995-06-30/533708/
http://www.limitstogrowth.org/WEB-text/unliveable-california.html
https://www.businessinsider.com/california-is-doomed-2010-3

BTW...more Californians more to other places...the more those other places are turning blue!  Nevada and Arizona are becoming bluer by the election...Florida and Texas will be as well.

My uncle bought an expensive house near Chicago for 680,000 back in the 80's.  He sold that house for 690,000 in 2009 after putting 100,000 to remodel it.  He then bought a house in Los Altos for 1,680,000.  I think that house is now worth more than 3,200,000.

I don't think CA economy is in trouble anytime soon.

edit: changed a few numbers after looking it up on redfin.

zubs said:
My uncle bought an expensive house near Chicago for 680,000 back in the 80's.  He sold that house for 690,000 in 2003 after putting 100,000 to remodel it.  He then bought a house in Los Altos for 1,700,000.  I think that house is now worth more than 3,500,000 now.

I don't think CA economy is in trouble anytime soon.

I think housing and urban sprawl are issues but they are unavoidable issues....there are things that the state can do to make housing easier to build and spread out sprawl (like building better public transit systems) but that runs into more problems like water and infrastructure...at some point...the state just has too many people.

Well my point is that picking Chicago was a bad call back in the 80's.  Imagine if he had picked San Jose, or Irvine in the 80s.

And back to the point of this thread.  What scientists treat as settled and accepted as truth by some, many times is proven wrong when put to further scrutiny.  Are we now fat deniers? IE....

New Research Confirms We Got Cholesterol All Wrong
The U.S. government has pushed a lot of bad nutrition advice over the years. Maybe it should stop advising us on what to eat.

"No evidence exists to prove that having high levels of bad cholesterol causes heart disease, leading physicians have claimed" in the study, reports the Daily Mail. The Express likewise says the new study finds "no evidence that high levels of 'bad' cholesterol cause heart disease."

I'm one of many who has called out the DGAC and the federal government for foisting "decades of confusing and often-contradictory dietary advice" upon the American public. I also suggested, in a column last year, that one way the government might back up its claims to possess invaluable and unparalleled expertise in the areas of food policy and nutrition would be stop regularly reversing or altering its recommendations.

"The reason that we don't know about these huge reversals in dietary advice is that the nutrition establishment is apparently loathe to make public their major reversals in policy," Teicholz says. "The low-fat diet is another example: neither the AHA or the dietary guidelines recommend a low-fat diet anymore. But they have yet to announce this to the American public. And some in the establishment are still fighting to retain the low-fat status quo."

https://reason.com/archives/2018/09/22/new-research-confirms-we-got-cholesterol

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:

Thanks Yoda! 

I'm glad that you know about my life and what I have or have not done.  But again..why are you influenced by what I do or don't do?  If climate change and its effects are real, then who cares what I do or don't do? 

Edit:  Missed my favorite line...from a MAGA supporter

being nice to the opposition

IC -- this was as solid and logical putdown as I have ever seen on this forum --- good post !

morekaos said:
And back to the point of this thread.  What scientists treat as settled and accepted as truth by some, many times is proven wrong when put to further scrutiny.  Are we now fat deniers? IE....

Clearly we should not nothing until the science is 100% proven and infalliable....heck we should do these for all aspects of life...no flying until there are no plane crashes, no one should invest in the stock market until we can make sure every company is honest and pure, no one should eat anything until there are no incidents of food poisoning, we should not drive in cars until there are no more car crashes.

I assume this article was meant to scare, but the irony is Arkansas has a far better climate than New York!!

By 2080, global warming will make New York City feel like Arkansas
"Heading south" will have a whole new meaning in a few decades.

New York City, welcome to Arkansas. Minneapolis, say hello to Kansas. And San Francisco, your new home is L.A.

Because of global warming, hundreds of millions of Americans will have to adapt to dramatically new climates by 2080, a study published Tuesday suggests.

?The children alive today, like my daughter who is 12, they?re going to see a dramatic transformation of climate. It?s already underway,? said study lead author Matt Fitzpatrick of the University of Maryland?s Center for Environmental Science.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...imate-change-shift-climates-south/2847860002/

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
fortune11 said:
This MAGA attitude can best be summed up as ? ? yeah we lost  Miami to rising sea levels , but at least we owned the libs !! ?

Or, isn't Miami beautiful?  Remember a hundred years ago when all those idiots wanted to ruin our economy to fight global warming that never happened because none of their complicated computer models ever were right?  Good thing we own the Libs!!

More 20th century thinking...transition into a green economy and reducing carbon emission are fantastic job/economy boosters.  Decentralization of the power grid, installation/building of green infrastructure, R&D into new green technology, and other green jobs are exactly what a first-world country like the US needs.  Relatively high paying jobs that cannot be outsourced.

This is basically like Trump saying that we need to save steel and coal jobs.

I don't understand why GOP/conservatives are so ready to rest on their laurels...US did not become the leader of the world by doing what other countries did.

This is a point always brought up whenever the argument is over economics...find one incident of green company success.  Solindra, Solar City, Aquion Energy, A123, Solar Trust, Sunrun, any wind farm, Tesla (where is the every-man $35k car?) and now the debacle to be forever known as the "Crazy Train"?  All government funded green projects, and all losers.  Any job created quickly evaporated when they went bankrupt or are currently on the way.  Government support has not proved a good investment in the economy, new or not.  If the Green Deal depends on this new economy there is a real track record that squelches that dream.

Not economically viable or something to pin our financial future on.

Let?s be real?: California just proved that high-speed rail is a dead end

The California project was supposed to show how high-speed rail can replace air travel and help save the planet. But that ignores the expense, limited consumer demand and other practical problems ? and the risk that technological change will render the investment worthless by the time anything gets built.

Ironically, Newsom delivered his news just days after the Green New Deal launched with its own bullet-train fantasies. You couldn?t ask for a better-timed reality check.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2019/02/14/california039s_reality_check_high-speed_rail_is_a_dead_end_466198.html

Back