Estimate of deaths by end of June from Covid-19

We are over 80k... where will we be by end of June?

• less than 100k

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 100k-125k

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 125k-150k

• 150k+

• 200k+

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
It's unlikely that we will get accurate totals on number of people who died directly as result of COVID-19.  Like they said when COVID-19 hit, suddenly nobody died of <insert other causes>.  The deceased are being cremated or buried without autopsy in many places.

Debating over number of COVID-19 deaths at this point is not really useful.  Efforts should be directed to protecting yourself.  Many local Korean stores now selling imported face shields and masks.  H-mart in Lakewood checks your temperature on entry and provide disposable gloves to all customers.  Read international press on what other countries are using for treatment, such as favipiravir/Avigan, Camostat, etc.  Because of the enormous profit potential of COVID-19 drug treatment you can expect company A to sing praises on its products while company B's press agents point out all the warts.  If you want to be a prepper you can mail order Camostat Mesilate tablets from Japan (expect lengthy shipping time), but please do not self medicate and only take drugs under consultation with your physician.

Innosint said:
the death count doesn't seem to be slowing down much in USA.... considering it's 80k from march to May. I think it could reach 125k by end of June

It has always struck me as odd that at the global level, the chart has been nearly perfectly linear since we  got past the parabolic growth stage.  Almost as if there's a basic universal mortality rate (BUMR (TM)) to C19. 

With that in mind, I'm putting my June 30 call right at 200,000  EDIT:  Upping to 200,000.

daedalus said:
It has always struck me as odd that at the global level, the chart has been nearly perfectly linear since we  got past the parabolic growth stage.  Almost as if there's a basic universal mortality rate (BUMR (TM)) to C19. 

I mean it started to go linear around April 1 which is a couple of weeks after most countries put in place social distancing orders, so it makes perfect sense to me.  The curve was flattened and exponential growth was prevented, aside from the few well known hot spots.

Liar Loan said:
I mean it started to go linear around April 1 which is a couple of weeks after most countries put in place social distancing orders, so it makes perfect sense to me.  The curve was flattened and exponential growth was prevented, aside from the few well known hot spots.

I'm not doubting the timing.  But why flat?  What's so magical about the various states of lockdown around the globe that they create an overall linear growth rate from the infinite number of shapes possible?  It could have been a slower parabolic, or slightly asymptotic.

So if you are 80 years old, and suffer hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and are obese, and then contract SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19-like difficulty breathing and expire, was your death due to COVID, or all those underlying conditions, or age?

Happiness said:
"Dying with" and "dying of" Covid 19 are not the same thing. If you contract covid 19, have mild or no symptoms, and get run over by a steam roller, it would be misleading to stay you died of Covid 19.

If we eliminate serious comorbidities, I'm sure the number of deaths would be much lower.

What if your young/middle age: Have the following condition(s): obese, diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, any other health

The chances of that person that catches covid and might die goes up with those conditions mentioned above goes up.

freedomcm said:
So if you are 80 years old, and suffer hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and are obese, and then contract SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19-like difficulty breathing and expire, was your death due to COVID, or all those underlying conditions, or age?

Happiness said:
"Dying with" and "dying of" Covid 19 are not the same thing. If you contract covid 19, have mild or no symptoms, and get run over by a steam roller, it would be misleading to stay you died of Covid 19.

If we eliminate serious comorbidities, I'm sure the number of deaths would be much lower.

irvinehomeowner said:
Over 90k deaths.

Looks like the US will go over 100k before end of May.

That should make Democrats absolutely giddy as it distracts everyone from the fiasco of Joe Biden's unraveling and the Scandal of Obama, Comey, Lynch, FBI, and all the rest of the crooks.

Over 101k and it's not even the end of May yet.

But that's okay right? It's only the old and pre-existing condition people who are dying... they don't matter... that's the "card they were dealt".

People die every day.

Not to take this on a tangent but It would be nice if more Americans were as passionate against Police brutality against African Americans as they are about saving covid deaths. Perhaps we would not have incidents like George Floyd. Saw the video yesterday. That was brutal to watch.

qwerty said:
People die every day.
Cop out remark.

Not to take this on a tangent but It would be nice if more Americans were as passionate against Police brutality against African Americans as they are about saving covid deaths. Perhaps we would not have incidents like George Floyd. Saw the video yesterday. That was brutal to watch.

They are... have you seen the protests?

Personally, we did the Arbery 2.23 mile memorial on 5/8 (his birthday)... were you just sitting at home saying "People die every day"?

Not sure how you are drawing the line between racist crimes and public health safety during a pandemic.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
People die every day.
Cop out remark.

They are... have you seen the protests?

Personally, we did the Arbery 2.23 mile memorial on 5/8 (his birthday)... were you just sitting at home saying "People die every day"?

Not sure how you are drawing the line between racist crimes and public health safety during a pandemic.

It?s easy, one can be stopped and the other one can?t. Just being delayed.

Back