Economic Slowdown?

So if this DOW, hit 20K mark, which is technically in the BEAR market, it still higher than when President Trump take office.

There that?s how it?s going to spins. Hang on to your hats folks. It going to rain, better yet get a giant umbrella. You need to not only cover your head, you need to cover-all. When this is all said and done.

The virus is just a spark, that needed to ignite this inferno.

October 19, 1987 my portfolio lost 23% in a day...back to positive in a little over a year.  They leave marks but bruises soon heal.  Few even remember Black Monday.  I was there.

morekaos said:
October 19, 1987 my portfolio lost 23% in a day...back to positive in a little over a year.  They leave marks but bruises soon heal.  Few even remember Black Monday.  I was there.

I remember it. There was no online trading or even looking at stocks. No way to sell unless you had stops in.

Channel 22 was a business channel until about half hour after the close of the market with delayed tickers, much better than CNBC has ever been. There was no way to even know how far things were down live.

My hubby said we just lost everything! I said how can that be? Stocks aren't worth nothing. We should go to  Fidelity and tell them we want to add to our account before the market closes and he said r u KIDDING? This is JUST LIKE the great depression. Things are going to get bad...?.. very bad.

Should have never listed to his doom and gloom. It would have been a GREAT day to buy.

Few months later some stocks were even lower, some were up a bit. A year later or something like that things were back up but wasn't long till the savings and loan crisis hit and our house dropped 30% in value.

Ready2Downsize said:
morekaos said:

I remember it. There was no online trading or even looking at stocks. No way to sell unless you had stops in.

Channel 22 was a business channel until about half hour after the close of the market with delayed tickers, much better than CNBC has ever been. There was no way to even know how far things were down live.

My hubby said we just lost everything! I said how can that be? Stocks aren't worth nothing. We should go to  Fidelity and tell them we want to add to our account before the market closes and he said r u KIDDING? This is JUST LIKE the great depression. Things are going to get bad...?.. very bad.

Should have never listed to his doom and gloom. It would have been a GREAT day to buy.

Few months later some stocks were even lower, some were up a bit. A year later or something like that things were back up but wasn't long till the savings and loan crisis hit and our house dropped 30% in value.

Just like the virus is a flu? A democratic hoax?
Keep drinking that koolaide...

eyephone said:
Ready2Downsize said:
morekaos said:

Um...???Where did I mention democratic hoax? You'd be better off drinking kool aid than whatever it was you overloaded yourself with before replying to my post.

Or...??. were you thinking I meant the 1987 stock market crash was some democratic hoax? HOW you could have gotten there, I have no clue but who the heck knows. You seem to be as bitter as the last time I was around here.

Ready2Downsize said:
eyephone said:
Ready2Downsize said:
morekaos said:

My hubby said we just lost everything! I said how can that be? Stocks aren't worth nothing. We should go to  Fidelity and tell them we want to add to our account before the market closes and he said r u KIDDING? This is JUST LIKE the great depression. Things are going to get bad...%u2026.. very bad.

Um...%u2026%u2026%u2026Where did I mention democratic hoax? You'd be better off drinking kool aid than whatever it was you overloaded yourself with before replying to my post.

Or...%u2026%u2026. were you thinking I meant the 1987 stock market crash was some democratic hoax? HOW you could have gotten there, I have no clue but who the heck knows. You seem to be as bitter as the last time I was around here.

CNBC article: Trump says the coronavirus is the Democrats' 'new hoax'
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

Drink up...

Moving to this thread:

I am wondering what would one do under this coronavirus situation  if one was in the midst of changing their job......after months of searching, lets say you have a job offer with good opportunities (& more pay) compared to the current stable job(and tenure). With the depressing news around and potential economic impacts, would you take up the offer or hunker down and stay where you are?

Stay put if the company is stable and has deep pockets to make payroll. I wouldn?t be looking for a job right now. I?m sure there are good opportunities though.

While I think this is an overreaction the masses and their simpleton thought process are winning

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Moving to this thread:

I am wondering what would one do under this coronavirus situation  if one was in the midst of changing their job......after months of searching, lets say you have a job offer with good opportunities (& more pay) compared to the current stable job(and tenure). With the depressing news around and potential economic impacts, would you take up the offer or hunker down and stay where you are?

It all depends:

If you are stuck in a hole and do not see a future at your current job. Then maybe take a risk for more pay and better opportunity.

I wish you the best of luck. I always want to see people succeed.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
The risk is what I am not sure is worth taking at this time. But thanks to inputs above!

It is up to you. Do you remember the last recession? Companies did mass layoffs and the people that did stay had to do multiple jobs. So it does not matter if you are tenure.

Or work for free and get paid later. Lol
Or take time off and do not get paid. Rofl

I guess my point is: it does not matter if you are new or not
If you are talented, the company will keep you.

eyephone said:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

Drink up...

Did Trump mean that coronavirus was a hoax or that the Dems claims that Trump is not taking coronavirus seriously was the hoax?

From what I read, I think it's the latter and not the former.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/?collection-id=242252

What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

I'm not a fan of Trump, but I also don't like when words get twisted around.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

Drink up...

Did Trump mean that coronavirus was a hoax or that the Dems claims that Trump is not taking coronavirus seriously was the hoax?

From what I read, I think it's the latter and not the former.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/?collection-id=242252

What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

I'm not a fan of Trump, but I also don't like when words get twisted around.

Thank you for bringing it up.

Business Insider article: 5 times Trump and US officials downplayed coronavirus as the administration struggled to prepare for the growing pandemic

1. "Their new hoax" At a campaign rally on Feb. 28 in North Charleston, S.C., Trump said accused the Democrats of using the coronavirus as "their new hoax."
2. Larry Kudlow urged Americans to "stay at work," claiming the coronavirus "looks relatively contained."
3. Kellyanne Conway said the coronavirus "is being contained."
4. Trump: "I like the numbers being where they are." 
Trump delivered a series of misleading remarks on the coronavirus last week with Alex Azar, Secretary of Health and Human Services (left), and CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield (right) during a tour of the CDC in Atlanta, Georgia
5. Comparing the coronavirus to the seasonal flu, Trump claimed, "We have it so well under control."
https://www.businessinsider.com/fiv...inistration-downplayed-the-coronavirus-2020-3

Note: the article written 3/12/20

The numbers from the south and midwestern states are not looking good regarding covid cases and deaths.

eyephone said:
1. "Their new hoax" At a campaign rally on Feb. 28 in North Charleston, S.C., Trump said accused the Democrats of using the coronavirus as "their new hoax."

My post addressed this.

Again, was Trump saying "coronavirus is a hoax" or was he saying that "Democrats accusing his administration of not taking coronavirus seriously is their new hoax"?

Those are two very different statements.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

My post addressed this.

Again, was Trump saying "coronavirus is a hoax" or was he saying that "Democrats accusing his administration of not taking coronavirus seriously is their new hoax"?

Those are two very different statements.

I say both. He said that the covid virus was like a flu and he has it under control. Uh no! You do not have it under control.

Back