Dow?

Shanghai Index down another 4%.  Getting Ugly in China.  Dow Futures not looking too pretty.  Will be ugly in the opening hour tomorrow morning.  Probably bounce back a little in the later half of day.

aquabliss said:
Why you guys going long?  This is just the beginning of the overdue correction.

So what do u think it corrects at? The actual definition? 10% down?

There is no where else to put money. Once the fear subsides in a week or two, the steady climb will start back to 18k

aquabliss said:

this happens every august...you can set your watch by it

Attachments

• dowaugust.png
    dowaugust.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 209
Beware the ides of August?  I wrote about this phenomena four years ago when I noticed that each August the markets lose their collective minds but then come back to reality just a month or two later.  This August seems  to be no different.  For all the hoopla and doom and gloom The Dow Jones is only down 6% year to date, about where it was a year ago,  the S and P 500 is down 2.4% year to date while the Over The counter Market (OTC) is actually still UP 1% this year.  Not to be totally devoid of feelings but, SO WHAT?  As I have repeatedly said, until the fed moves on rates we will trade in a sideways basing pattern. Frustrating for investors but a total dream for traders.  Look at that chart and notice the August pattern, pretty amazing, isn?t it?  This is just another opportunity to take advantage of the weak.  Put on the blinders

qwerty said:
aquabliss said:

So what do u think it corrects at? The actual definition? 10% down?

There is no where else to put money. Once the fear subsides in a week or two, the steady climb will start back to 18k

Arbitrary definition I suppose and certainly I don't know what the bottom is or I'd be on the Newport Coast forums instead :)

Afterhours show some buybacks, hopefully we're reversing course Monday.  Needing this tonight:

tums-product-regular.png

Going with my gut next time:  should've sold it all on Monday and buy it back today.

ps9 said:
Afterhours show some buybacks, hopefully we're reversing course Monday.  Needing this tonight:

tums-product-regular.png

Going with my gut next time:  should've sold it all on Monday and buy it back today.
Just DCA and go long (presuming it is retirement / other longer term savings vs. immediate / emergency funds).  Lot less nerve wracking and hard to beat the S&P long-term (although you obviously have some volatility in their). Add in some international or other types of index funds if you want some additional diversification, but S&P really provides it anyway since you are talking a ton of global companies anyway. 

Boy, I'm glad that the VIX expired on Wednesday pre-open.  ;D  Gonna watch things for a bit before I jump in again.  >:D

USCTrojanCPA said:
Boy, I'm glad that the VIX expired on Wednesday pre-open.  ;D  Gonna watch things for a bit before I jump in again.  >:D

Ya, good timing!  I was thinking about that today.  Some of the QQQ puts ended up like 40x yesterdays closing value...

Finally long awaited correction is here.  This is just a start.  I want to see more FEAR, PANIC, BEARS and CAPITULATION before I jump in and pick up things on Sale~  good good.  Saw little bit at end of the day today.  But, still too much optimism.

Commodity dump for the past several months was a leading indicator for an equity to get slammed eventually.  Typical.  But the question is = is the commodity price slump related to little blimp during a recovery or a indicator for a down turn.  Probably indicator for a downturn in a global economy (excl. U.S.) but the U.S. economy is little questionable as we are supposed to be on the recovery phase.  We'll see.

Back