Cypress Village Homes

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Great room is simply a better use of the space than the traditional Living Room + Family room.  I look for a better interior design.  We went with Saratoga over Mendocino in large part because Mendocino's interior design is terrible due to the presence of a driveway.

Of course, if all things equal I would like to have a bigger garage and driveway etc but since it's Irvine and I don't have a $1 million laying around, I have to cut back. 

You are the perfect TIC customer. Their marketing has worked wonders convincing the public that backyards, driveways, and sidewalks are only for the rich. LOL...TIC now classifies traditional SFR as luxury homes!

TBF...TIC does a lot of research about what people want.  Interior is probably no. 1 so that's what they use to entice people.  The plans are basically between an attached condo and an SFR...the price is market driven so that what we react to.  SFR is not "luxury" per se but just priced higher.  No one would have an issue if the prices were $200K lower but that's dictated by market forces of supply and demand.

Although many of my posts on TIC are pretty negative, I believe their master planning has been positive for the city. They did their research and homework for the 2010 Collection and it was a sales and marketing coup. They were leaders regionally and nationally in the revival of the new construction market.

I also like that TIC offers choices: different home sizes, attached/detached, different price points, etc...

The cynical side of me also agrees with IHO. For every branding innovation (i.e. Great Room, California Room, etc...) there was a self-serving monetary benefit for TIC at the expense of lot size/shape:

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Yeah...garage size is like no. 500 on my list of needs.  2 is plenty...especially if you have a driveway and curb parking.
Well... garage size isn't just about number of garage ports to me. It also gives you a larger lot size and bigger floorplan footprint.

Do you think TIC went to the Great Room concept only because it's "popular"? Many of these older 3CWG have a Great Room also, but back then it was called Kitchen/Nook/Family Room. In order to maximize land usage, they had to make lots more narrow so the "tandem 3-car garage" born. And then they needed to make lots shallower, so no more room for the tandem.

And you mention driveway and curb parking... those are also victims of land efficiency, hence the motorcourt (ie Cali-Sac).

But I would rather have what they are doing with Mulberry instead of a motorcourt. I always thought that a driveway is more useful than a front yard (and less maintenance).

USCTrojanCPA said:
Oh you mean how they the detached condo lots with driveways have $30k-$50k premiums and are sold faster than any other units?  It's because buyers don't stand up and say NO that allows TIC to offer less and less at higher prices.  Hell, they are marketing a motorcourt as a "california court" now...what's next?

I absolutely love this statement.  Because people continue to buy TIC sees no reason to change.

kubert13 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Oh you mean how they the detached condo lots with driveways have $30k-$50k premiums and are sold faster than any other units?  It's because buyers don't stand up and say NO that allows TIC to offer less and less at higher prices.  Hell, they are marketing a motorcourt as a "california court" now...what's next?

I absolutely love this statement.  Because people continue to buy TIC sees no reason to change.

People continue to buy TIC because there are not many other options. If you look at what was available in Fall 2012 in the 500-700K range, it was the communities in Laguna Altura, Stonegate and PS. 2 of the 3 communities were TIC. I would argue that if there were other options, people would go for it. If you are in the market for a home and you have mostly only TIC homes available then it is very unlikely for a person to say 'I object to TIC's concepts therefore I will wait it out for another 2-3 years'. Highly unlikely.

That being said, I didn't like TIC so I went with a community in PS.

socaltrojan81 said:
If you are in the market for a home and you have mostly only TIC homes available then it is very unlikely for a person to say 'I object to TIC's concepts therefore I will wait it out for another 2-3 years'. Highly unlikely.

we did object to TIC and the lack of value proposition in irvine and left irvine, although we didnt really go that far.

TIC listens to design issues that stunt sales.

That's why a the detached condos in Stonegate and Laguna Altura went with the 3 and 3X and got rid of the 2 because the 2 wasn't selling very well.

They've added walk-in pantries to more models because people like them.

They added driveways to motorcourt homes.

They just won't lower prices. :(

qwerty said:
socaltrojan81 said:
If you are in the market for a home and you have mostly only TIC homes available then it is very unlikely for a person to say 'I object to TIC's concepts therefore I will wait it out for another 2-3 years'. Highly unlikely.

we did object to TIC and the lack of value proposition in irvine and left irvine, although we didnt really go that far.

Exactly. We did, too. Vote with your feet. Simples.

USCTrojanCPA said:

That's a little unfair.  What TIC is doing to diversifying the types of homes available.  Previously, it was just attached condos and SFRs and a significant price difference between the two.  Then it became attached condos, detached condos, and SFRs.  Now, they have attached condo, detached condos without driveways, detached condos with driveways, and SFRs.  It's just more choices. ..you figure out what your budget is and buy what you can/want. 

From what I can see, TIC is basically pricing their homes between $500K to $900K and have a level of house every 100K.  I actually appreciate that.  Rather than deciding between condo for 500-600K or a SFR at 800K,  I have a choice who a number of plans and figuring out what my budget is.  Obviously, the business model is making money for TIC but that doesn't mean that I don't win as a consumer. 

Everyone seems to be complaining TIC but in reality they're complaining about prices.  If you want a big SFR with a yard, there are plenty of options in Irvine, you just have to pay for it.  Again, if the prices were $200K less, most people would be fine with it.  It's just the idea of buying a $800K house with no driveway that is a little shocking...if that house is $600K, there would be fewer objections. 

irvinehomeowner said:
TIC listens to design issues that stunt sales.

That's why a the detached condos in Stonegate and Laguna Altura went with the 3 and 3X and got rid of the 2 because the 2 wasn't selling very well.

They've added walk-in pantries to more models because people like them.

They added driveways to motorcourt homes.

They just won't lower prices. :(

Agreed...again the issue is price but that is market driven. 

Also, what appeals to you may not appeal to others.  I am actually okay not having a yard.  I don't have to pay to landscape or maintain it.  I will take my daughter to the park to play so that she can interact with other kids. 

Out of curiosity does our Saratoga garage face your neighbors garage or into a street? I've been trying to look for photos of the build out but maybe i'll just have to drive by :)

Irvinecommuter said:
Also, what appeals to you may not appeal to others.  I am actually okay not having a yard.  I don't have to pay to landscape or maintain it.  I will take my daughter to the park to play so that she can interact with other kids. 

if i hadnt argued with Icommuter over the MR thing id almost think he was a TIC shill.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

if i hadnt argued with Icommuter over the MR thing id almost think he was a TIC shill.

I was searching for the right words... but you beat me to it once again. You always read my mind.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I was searching for the right words... but you beat me to it once again. You always read my mind.

Even if he is a TIC shill, I welcome him/her to this board. LOL...someone needs to defend TIC since there are so many detractors (myself included).

TIC could care less what we say on this board as long as people continue voting with their wallets. That is why their buying experience sucks and there will be no change in company attitude until competition comes to this local market.

Evensteven said:
Out of curiosity does our Saratoga garage face your neighbors garage or into a street? I've been trying to look for photos of the build out but maybe i'll just have to drive by :)

Garage goes into a street so it's not a motorcourt.

iacrenter said:
SoCal said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Even if he is a TIC shill, I welcome him/her to this board. LOL...someone needs to defend TIC since there are so many detractors (myself included).

TIC could care less what we say on this board as long as people continue voting with their wallets. That is why their buying experience sucks and there will be no change in company attitude until competition comes to this local market.

Not a shill...on Larry's old site in the Wild days of mid 2006.  Again, I am not saying that TIC is good/bad.  I just don't think that they deserve some of the blame.  It seems like a lot of people want big homes with yards here but no everyone wants or can afford that.

Obviously the lack of competition is not helping with prices/variety but home builders are like airlines in that they are in a race to the bottom. 

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

That's a little unfair.  What TIC is doing to diversifying the types of homes available.  Previously, it was just attached condos and SFRs and a significant price difference between the two.  Then it became attached condos, detached condos, and SFRs.  Now, they have attached condo, detached condos without driveways, detached condos with driveways, and SFRs.  It's just more choices. ..you figure out what your budget is and buy what you can/want. 

From what I can see, TIC is basically pricing their homes between $500K to $900K and have a level of house every 100K.  I actually appreciate that.  Rather than deciding between condo for 500-600K or a SFR at 800K,  I have a choice who a number of plans and figuring out what my budget is.  Obviously, the business model is making money for TIC but that doesn't mean that I don't win as a consumer. 

Everyone seems to be complaining TIC but in reality they're complaining about prices.  If you want a big SFR with a yard, there are plenty of options in Irvine, you just have to pay for it.  Again, if the prices were $200K less, most people would be fine with it.  It's just the idea of buying a $800K house with no driveway that is a little shocking...if that house is $600K, there would be fewer objections.
There's also another reason why TIC is building those other in-between units and it's not to give the consumers a choice, it's to make more money.  You do understand that they can fit a lot more homes in a detached motorcourt layout than they can in a traditional SFR layout, right?  But they are selling at nearly the same price/SF since the unit has a "detached" label.  How about them going from a 5-foot to a 3-foot set back...hell why not go to a 6-inch setback (it'd still be detached)?

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

There's also another reason why TIC is building those other in-between units and it's not to give the consumers a choice, it's to make more money.  You do understand that they can fit a lot more homes in a detached motorcourt layout than they can in a traditional SFR layout, right?  But they are selling at nearly the same price/SF since the unit has a "detached" label.  How about them going from a 5-foot to a 3-foot set back...hell why not go to a 6-inch setback (it'd still be detached)?

Yes.  I understand it makes TIC money.  But that doesn't preclude it from being a benefit to me.  The point is that if they just made SFRs, I couldn't afford to buy one.

There is a reason why car makers make a variety of models.

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Yes.  I understand it makes TIC money.  But that doesn't preclude it from being a benefit to me.  The point is that if they just made SFRs, I couldn't afford to buy one.

How do you benefit from smaller setbacks?  No driveways?  Tiny yards? 

Well... I know TIC listens because I think they invented the California Garage because of my whining.

TIC 1: How do we get that IHO character to stop complaining about the lack of 3CWGs in new homes?
TIC 2: Let's put a little space in the back of the garage, they should help.
TIC 1: What about the backyard?
TIC 2: That irvinecommuter person doesn't like them anyways... he'll take his kid to the park.

:)

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Cheaper price...I don't get a yard or drive but I get a 2200 square foot detached house.  I can get a SFR, but it will cost me $80,000 more.  Or I can get a smaller detach condo for $100K less.

Right now at Stonegate you can get

$400K:  Attached Condo 1300-1600 sq. feet (Santa Maria)
$500K:  Attached condo  1500-1600 sq. feet (Cambria)
$600K:  Detach condo 1600-1800 sq. feet (San Mateo)
$700K:  Detach condo 1900-2200 sq. feet (Saratoga)
$800K:  SFR 2200-2400 sq. feet (Mendocino). 

I chose Saratgoa because it's relative large house with a good floor plan and I didn't want to pay the extra $80K for Mendocino.  I could have chosen to get a smaller place at San Mateo for $100K less.  If I want a large yard and driveway, I would have to pay $900K or more with a resale.

I am not saying that the TIC cares about me, they clearly don't.  But they are business people and have to design and produce a product that people want.  The lack of competition helps but in the end, you still need to deliver a product that people want. 

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Cheaper price...I don't get a yard or drive but I get a 2200 square foot detached house.  I can get a SFR, but it will cost me $80,000 more.  Or I can get a smaller detach condo for $100K less.

Right now at Stonegate you can get

$400K:  Attached Condo 1300-1600 sq. feet (Santa Maria)
$500K:  Attached condo  1500-1600 sq. feet (Cambria)
$600K:  Detach condo 1600-1800 sq. feet (San Mateo)
$700K:  Detach condo 1900-2200 sq. feet (Saratoga)
$800K:  SFR 2200-2400 sq. feet (Mendocino). 

I chose Saratgoa because it's relative large house with a good floor plan and I didn't want to pay the extra $80K for Mendocino.  I could have chosen to get a smaller place at San Mateo for $100K less.  If I want a large yard and driveway, I would have to pay $900K or more with a resale.

I am not saying that the TIC cares about me, they clearly don't.  But they are business people and have to design and produce a product that people want.  The lack of competition helps but in the end, you still need to deliver a product that people want.
You might want to raise those prices up by $75k-$100k across the board.  People want the location so they'll take what TIC gives them because they are basically the only show in town with the city in their back pocket.  Besides that, the lack of innovation kind of sad too...why not design some more unique homes instead of turning the copier on and either shrinking or supersizing basically the same floor plan?

Back