Cypress Village Homes

irvinehomeowner said:
Well... I know TIC listens because I think they invented the California Garage because of my whining.

TIC 1: How do we get that IHO character to stop complaining about the lack of 3CWGs in new homes?
TIC 2: Let's put a little space in the back of the garage, they should help.
TIC 1: What about the backyard?
TIC 2: That irvinecommuter person doesn't like them anyways... he'll take his kid to the park.

:)

YARD EVIL!  Seriously though...I was invited to a TIC research group but was unable to go.  They were going to pay $150 for me to show up and eat their food in return for a couple hours of my time and opinion.  I know others on this board have been invited and actually gone.

The point is that not everyone likes the same things.  I find the California Room totally useless cause my sun-fearing wife would never sit outside in the sun.  We have no use for a yard other than a BBQ grill.  We rather spend our money buying more living space and paid extra for the conservatory as opposed to having a yard. 

I like the concepts that TIC is putting because it does allow for some customization rather than the old take what we designed concept.

USCTrojanCPA said:
You might want to raise those prices up by $75k-$100k across the board.  People want the location so they'll take what TIC gives them because they are basically the only show in town with the city in their back pocket.  Besides that, the lack of innovation kind of sad too...why not design some more unique homes instead of turning the copier on and either shrinking or supersizing basically the same floor plan?

Agreed but again, that's pricing not design or concept.  Pricing is a function of market forces.  If the resell market was normal, TIC couldn't charge those higher price but the market is not normal.  Also, the price rises are just in the past 6 months or so.  Saratoga plan 1 started at mid $600s and are now low $700Ks...increase about $50K in about 6 months...that's market prices...concept and homes remain the same.

As to the plans, it's cheaper to manufacture similar floor plans..obviously custom homes are more expensive than cookie cutters.  Also, maybe because people like the plans?  Camrys are boring and not sexy but people buy a lot of them.  Not everyone can afford Porsches or BMWs.  Sometimes, you just want a functional house with a good layout.  Just because they're "cookie cutter" doesn't make them bad.  Even when TIC does come up with new things, people here mock them are trivial. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Evensteven said:
Out of curiosity does our Saratoga garage face your neighbors garage or into a street? I've been trying to look for photos of the build out but maybe i'll just have to drive by :)

Garage goes into a street so it's not a motorcourt.
Is that a real street with a curb, sidewalk and grass... or like a private street?

Irvinecommuter said:
I find the California Room totally useless cause my sun-fearing wife would never sit outside in the sun.
Hold. Isn't the California Room supposed to be an outdoor space that doesn't expose you to the elements (sun/rain) because it's covered?

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
You might want to raise those prices up by $75k-$100k across the board.  People want the location so they'll take what TIC gives them because they are basically the only show in town with the city in their back pocket.  Besides that, the lack of innovation kind of sad too...why not design some more unique homes instead of turning the copier on and either shrinking or supersizing basically the same floor plan?

Agreed but again, that's pricing not design or concept.  Pricing is a function of market forces.  If the resell market was normal, TIC couldn't charge those higher price but the market is not normal.  Also, the price rises are just in the past 6 months or so.  Saratoga plan 1 started at mid $600s and are now low $700Ks...increase about $50K in about 6 months...that's market prices...concept and homes remain the same.

As to the plans, it's cheaper to manufacture similar floor plans..obviously custom homes are more expensive than cookie cutters.  Also, maybe because people like the plans?  Camrys are boring and not sexy but people buy a lot of them.  Not everyone can afford Porsches or BMWs.  Sometimes, you just want a functional house with a good layout.  Just because they're "cookie cutter" doesn't make them bad.  Even when TIC does come up with new things, people here mock them are trivial. 
You understand that land is a lot more valuable than the structure that is built on it, right?  They probably bump those houses out at $70-$80/sf.  So would you be OK with 6-inch setbacks with no driveway, yard, and garage  as long as it was a "detached" unit (because that's where we are heading)? 

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Evensteven said:
Out of curiosity does our Saratoga garage face your neighbors garage or into a street? I've been trying to look for photos of the build out but maybe i'll just have to drive by :)

Garage goes into a street so it's not a motorcourt.
Is that a real street with a curb, sidewalk and grass... or like a private street?

I believe it's just asphalt...I have a 2X so the front door leads into a sidewalk rather than the street.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

You understand that land is a lot more valuable than the structure that is built on it, right?  They probably bump those houses out at $70-$80/sf.  So would you be OK with 6-inch setbacks with no driveway, yard, and garage  as long as it was a "detached" unit (because that's where we are heading)?

Am I okay with it?  It is a trade off I made to have more living space.  If TIC made a standard SFR with regular set backs, the house would cost a lot more and thus price me out.  That's kinda of the point, I can pay more to get all the amenities or pay less and prioritize my preferences.  It is no different than picking what model of car I want to buy.  I can chose a smaller car but more amenities or get a bigger car without as much amenities.  Or I can pay a lot get the bigger car with all the amenities and the awesome engine. 

For example, with the conservatory...my Saratoga with a corner lot (1 neighbor) will be about 2400 square feet at about $800K (not including options).  At Lambert Ranch, the smallest model is about 2700 square feet but costs about $1+ million.  Granted, LR doesn't have Mello Roos but Stonegate is in a better location IMO.

Again, there seems to be a feeling that just because TIC makes a lot of money doing this that it's evil.  It may be but I still get more choices.  I have gone to all of the new opening since Woodbury and the price range difference between a detach condo and SFR were often $300-400K more (or even more)...there were a few detached condos but they weren't that much cheaper than SFRs.  So either I had to settle for a cramp attached condo or get a crazy loan so I can get a SFR. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I find the California Room totally useless cause my sun-fearing wife would never sit outside in the sun.
Hold. Isn't the California Room supposed to be an outdoor space that doesn't expose you to the elements (sun/rain) because it's covered?

It has a roof but no walls...so you still get a lot of sun.  My wife (and many Asian women) would prefer full enclosure without exposure to sunlight.  (Trellis and yard would be out of the question).

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

It has a roof but no walls...so you still get a lot of sun.  My wife (and many Asian women) would prefer full enclosure without exposure to sunlight.  (Trellis and yard would be out of the question).
Seems like with such small lots and close neighbors, the sun would have to be at a precise angle to hit the entire interior space of the Cali Room. Noontime or late afternoon, you shouldn't have much issue with sun exposure.

(no need to respond... just thinking out loud)

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
socaltrojan81 said:
If you are in the market for a home and you have mostly only TIC homes available then it is very unlikely for a person to say 'I object to TIC's concepts therefore I will wait it out for another 2-3 years'. Highly unlikely.

we did object to TIC and the lack of value proposition in irvine and left irvine, although we didnt really go that far.

Exactly. We did, too. Vote with your feet. Simples.

Sure.. that is, if you don't mind moving out of Irvine. If you want to stay in Irvine then you have very few options unless you are willing to expand your budget significantly.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Seems like with such small lots and close neighbors, the sun would have to be at a precise angle to hit the entire interior space of the Cali Room. Noontime or late afternoon, you shouldn't have much issue with sun exposure.

I think people who got the Cali room want to be outdoors without getting sun.  Why put up an umbrella when you can have a roof? 

Plus makes it easier to put out nice patio furniture and not get ruined by the elements.  I look at some of the outdoor furniture at Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel and think to myself it's nicer than what I have indoors.  How the heck would I keep that outdoors

socaltrojan81 said:
If you want to stay in Irvine then you have very few options unless you are willing to expand your budget significantly.

Especially if you consider these to be compromises:
- Zero lot line homes
- Motor courts
- No driveways or driveways so small you can't fit a car on it
- Detached condos
- "tight" 2 car garages or tandem garages
- 3 stories
- must move cars to get garbage cans in/out
- tiny, if any, yards
- high mello roos

zovall said:
socaltrojan81 said:
If you want to stay in Irvine then you have very few options unless you are willing to expand your budget significantly.

- Zero lot line homes
- Motor courts
- Detached condos
- 3 stories
- tiny, if any, yards
- high mello roos

This is why USC says the city is run by TIC. The city is supposed to be master planned with regular homes and apartments. Then TIC started getting all of these variances and now you have the ghettofication of the newer parts of irvine.

broda said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I think people who got the Cali room want to be outdoors without getting sun.  Why put up an umbrella when you can have a roof? 

Plus makes it easier to put out nice patio furniture and not get ruined by the elements.  I look at some of the outdoor furniture at Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel and think to myself it's nicer than what I have indoors.  How the heck would I keep that outdoors

The thing is that for a few thousand more, you add 150-200 square feet of living space...at $350 a square feet, that's some serious money.

irvinehomeowner said:
I've always contended that TIC purposely builds new inferior product to keep demand (and value) high on resale product.

They build new inferior product cause they can maximize their profits that way and the suckers keep buying

qwerty said:
zovall said:
socaltrojan81 said:

- Zero lot line homes
- Motor courts
- Detached condos
- 3 stories
- tiny, if any, yards
- high mello roos

This is why USC says the city is run by TIC. The city is supposed to be master planned with regular homes and apartments. Then TIC started getting all of these variances and now you have the ghettofication of the newer parts of irvine.

I truly disagree.  It is still master planned.  The lot sizes are smaller but that's been the trend...houses built in the 50s and 60s have bigger lots than those in the 70 and 80s...houses built in the 90s and 2000s are even smaller. 

The truth of the matter is that with prices at where they are today...it is very difficult to afford a SFR with a traditional lot in Irvine.  You either have to get a smaller SFR or go to a location that is not as desirable.  By choosing to buy in Irvine and specifically Stonegate/Woodbury, a buyer elects location over things like yard or driveway.  Again, I picked location, interior space/floor plan, and newness to bigger lot size and "unique" plans.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I've always contended that TIC purposely builds new inferior product to keep demand (and value) high on resale product.

They build new inferior product cause they can maximize their profits that way and the suckers keep buying

Inferior compared to who? And how would building "inferior" home keep demand high? 

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Inferior compared to who? And how would building "inferior" home keep demand high?
It's not the quality beautiful homes that the people are buying...it's the location, schools, and safety that they are buying.  Their product is inferior to out builder's products....Las Ventanas and Lambert Ranch are two great examples. 

Back