Cypress Village Homes

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Yes but that's also important considerations.  I went to both LV and LR and didn't care for either one. 

Let me get this right, you did not care for LV or LR, but you loved Saratoga?  Right.

Clarification:  LR looked great but seriously seriously overpriced.

I went to see LV a while back and didn't care for it all that much.  Also, being in Portola Spring was not great for me.

I don't love Saratoga and wouldn't buy it if I couldn't get the conservatory.  But again, you prioritize.
How the hell is LR overpriced?  It's about the same per SF cost as a similar TIC home but without Mello Roos.  You just said earlier that your main interest in the home is the interior and not the location.  Those Las Ventanas homes are about 1/2 mile from your Saratoga home and both of them are in Irvine...so what's the issue?

1)  There is a level of affordability when you get into $1 million.  Overpriced in that I don't need a 2700 square feet house for $1 million....I am fine with a 2400 square house for $800K.

2)  I don't think I have ever said that location is not important.  I am paying a premium to live in Irvine and in Stonegate...the location cost premiums are are factored in.  Portola Spring is about 1.5 miles away from Stonegate and not close to any shopping areas.  It is also set in a hilly/valley area and a lot warmer to me than Woodbury/Stonegate.  It's a personal preference, I just don't care for Portola Spring.
I'll buy the personal prefernce part but to say that it's warmer than Stonegate/Woodbury is laughable consideing that LV is les than 1 mile from Stonegate and 1-2 miles from Woodbury.  Funny how Taylor Morrison was able to sell real SFR homes in the $600k-$700k range.  Btw, Saratoga is a stone's throw away from LV...check out google maps.  :p

1)  Because TM sold in the middle of 2012.  Again, the price of the Sage is indicative of the current pricing at PS.  Saratoga plan 1 started at mid $600Ks.

2)  Obviously I don't have temperature readings and studies..again personal feelings.

Perhaps warmer = right under an active landfill?    ;)
That's my main reason for not even considering PS.

jayl23 said:
Perhaps warmer = right under an active landfill?    ;)
That's my main reason for not even considering PS.
Far enough, but let's not try to make Stonegate out to be Quail Hill.  :p

Irvinecommuter said:
Portola Spring is about 1.5 miles away from Stonegate and not close to any shopping areas.  It is also set in a hilly/valley area and a lot warmer to me than Woodbury/Stonegate.

It's a lot warmer 1 mile down the street... what??
By any chance, is your builder running a "Refer A Friend" program?

USCTrojanCPA said:
I'll buy the personal prefernce part but to say that it's warmer than Stonegate/Woodbury is laughable consideing that LV is les than 1 mile from Stonegate and 1-2 miles from Woodbury.  Funny how Taylor Morrison was able to sell real SFR homes in the $600k-$700k range.  Btw, Saratoga is a stone's throw away from LV...check out google maps.  :p

I would have to agree that it does feel warmer around PS than Woodbury.  Maybe the hills are blocking the wind around PS?  Not sure what it is, but I have felt the difference during my many visits to PS.

The northeastern most part of stonegate can't be more than half a mile away from the western most part of portola springs, if that

SoCal said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Portola Spring is about 1.5 miles away from Stonegate and not close to any shopping areas.  It is also set in a hilly/valley area and a lot warmer to me than Woodbury/Stonegate.

It's a lot warmer 1 mile down the street... what??
By any chance, is your builder running a "Refer A Friend" program?

Again...it's my personal feeling.  I don't like the look of PS (hillside houses) and always felt the area was warmer and dustier than Woodbury/Stonegate.  I don't have studies or evidence to back it up.  My personal feelings. 

I am pretty sure that very few builders need a Refer a Friend program, especially TIC at Stonegate.  Also, not a builder shill.  TIC builds houses up in PS as well. 

Also...PS has the same lot issue as Saratoga: 
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/27-Habitat-92618/home/21932403

3500 square foot lot.  $399 a square foot.

Microclimate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microclimate

"Another contributing factor to microclimate is the slope or aspect of an area. South-facing slopes in the Northern Hemisphere and north-facing slopes in the Southern Hemisphere are exposed to more direct sunlight than opposite slopes and are therefore warmer for longer."

Very plausible... some of us are more temperature sensitive.

Irvinecommuter,

Congratulations on your Saratoga home. I'm sure you have done the calculus and will be happy in your new home.

Like you have said, people value different things and you make choices based on those values. Unlike you, there are some buyers who do value driveways, yards, and sidewalks versus simply detached/interior space considerations. The increasing prices only make these type of homes seem more of a sacrifice than a bargain.

Also long term, I can't see this bubble pricing continue in Irvine. When all the dust settles, I believe certain product innovations by TIC will not stand the test of time. Their resale value will be hurt relative to some of the more traditional SFR setups/neighborhoods.

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
I don't think the Cali room sq ftg qualifies as part of the sq ftg of the house.
Nope, it sure doesn't.  It was to be fully enclosed with walls to be counted as additional SF.

That's why it makes more sense to me to get the conservatory for a few thousand more.

If I remember it was either 13K for Cali and 20K for Conservatory.  Or that's what it was when they quoted me.  That's a pretty big gap.

As for the sq footage.  If you move to the Inland Empire, you can get a 4200 + sq foot home for 500K.  Go further out to Moreno Valley and you'll be living in a mansion.

iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter,

Congratulations on your Saratoga home. I'm sure you have done the calculus and will be happy in your new home.

Like you have said, people value different things and you make choices based on those values. Unlike you, there are some buyers who do value driveways, yards, and sidewalks versus simply detached/interior space considerations. The increasing prices only make these type of homes seem more of a sacrifice than a bargain.

Also long term, I can't see this bubble pricing continue in Irvine. When all the dust settles, I believe certain product innovations by TIC will not stand the test of time. Their resale value will be hurt relative to some of the more traditional SFR setups/neighborhoods.

Thanks.  Trust me...I want a driveway considering the wife will be parking in the garage.  But I like having the big house with an open floor plan.  Having the corner lot also helps. 

I definitely agree with the second point.  I do feel that there is a cultural difference at play.  A lot Asians I know don't use their backyard at all.  My parents had a huge lot but almost never used it.  Similar with garages (and to some extent driveways).  A lot of people like garages for working on cars or doing projects...I for one would do neither.  Garage will be for car and storage.  No band saws or auto tools.  I wouldn't be surprised if TIC found that most of their potential buyers were individuals who do not value either a yard or garage work space.

As to whether they will stand the test of time...it depends on whether people prefer location versus size.  Obviously, a house with a driveway is better than one without but what about a house without a driveway but 300-400 square feet bigger?  Choices. 

broda said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
I don't think the Cali room sq ftg qualifies as part of the sq ftg of the house.
Nope, it sure doesn't.  It was to be fully enclosed with walls to be counted as additional SF.

That's why it makes more sense to me to get the conservatory for a few thousand more.

If I remember it was either 13K for Cali and 20K for Conservatory.  Or that's what it was when they quoted me.  That's a pretty big gap.

It was $9,000 and $16,000 for us.  $7,000 difference now...at least $50,000 later.

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter,

Thanks.  Trust me...I want a driveway considering the wife will be parking in the garage.  But I like having the big house with an open floor plan.  Having the corner lot also helps. 

I definitely agree with the second point.  I do feel that there is a cultural difference at play.  A lot Asians I know don't use their backyard at all.  My parents had a huge lot but almost never used it.  Similar with garages (and to some extent driveways).  A lot of people like garages for working on cars or doing projects...I for one would do neither.  Garage will be for car and storage.  No band saws or auto tools.  I wouldn't be surprised if TIC found that most of their potential buyers were individuals who do not value either a yard or garage work space.

As to whether they will stand the test of time...it depends on whether people prefer location versus size.  Obviously, a house with a driveway is better than one without but what about a house without a driveway but 300-400 square feet bigger?  Choices.

Asians...especially old school ones want to turn the back yard into a vegetable farm or like a zen garden to look at but never use.  Most of the Asians want drive ways so they can turn their garage into super storage places.  Sucks for the motor court visitors because you have to park so far out because no one is using their garage.  I was walking around San Marcos the other day and the street parking was completely full.

For the record, I think Stonegate is a better location than Portola Springs too.

It may only be 1.5 miles but that adds up... and currently, both school and shopping is much closer is SG than in PS.

Las Ventanas also had that toll road above it which was an issue for us.

For sure...those extra street lights add minutes to the commute.  Especially with that extra light they installed on Sand Canyon that goes off randomly.

Think of a cookie sheet like a piece of land and you own a pretzel shop. Each time you bake you must fill the entire tray with dough until you see no exposed foil.  You also would want bake the biggest pretzel to sell for the most money.

Irvinecommuter said:
iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter,

Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Yes but that's also important considerations.  I went to both LV and LR and didn't care for either one. 

Let me get this right, you did not care for LV or LR, but you loved Saratoga?  Right.

I went to see LV a while back and didn't care for it all that much.  Also, being in Portola Spring was not great for me.

I don't love Saratoga and wouldn't buy it if I couldn't get the conservatory.  But again, you prioritize.
How the hell is LR overpriced?  It's about the same per SF cost as a similar TIC home but without Mello Roos.  You just said earlier that your main interest in the home is the interior and not the location.  Those Las Ventanas homes are about 1/2 mile from your Saratoga home and both of them are in Irvine...so what's the issue?

1)  There is a level of affordability when you get into $1 million.  Overpriced in that I don't need a 2700 square feet house for $1 million....I am fine with a 2400 square house for $800K.

2)  I don't think I have ever said that location is not important.  I am paying a premium to live in Irvine and in Stonegate...the location cost premiums are are factored in.  Portola Spring is about 1.5 miles away from Stonegate and not close to any shopping areas.  It is also set in a hilly/valley area and a lot warmer to me than Woodbury/Stonegate.  It's a personal preference, I just don't care for Portola Spring.

If it's a larger home but more expensive, that's not "overpriced". It's appropriately priced. It may be a larger home than you need, but don't say that it's overpriced simply because you can't afford it.

Also, while I haven't done the calculations, I can't imagine that there's a significant price difference between Stonegate+MR and Lambert Ranch without MR spread over a 30 year mortgage.

The distance between LR and Stonegate is minor at best. You may perceive a different climate, but there isn't.

I looked to buy a new home in Irvine for 3+ years. The locations I looked at ranged from Laguna Altura to Portola Springs (and even outside Irvine, as far north as Brea and as far south as Ladera Ranch). For my needs, Lambert Ranch was the best (the main factor being that TIC floorplans didn't meet my needs and I subjectively found them as boring as could be). For your needs, Stonegate was obviously best. But to say that LR is overpriced is just not true ("overpriced" isn't the same as "I can't afford"), nor is it to say that there is a different climate in LR compared with Stonegate.

NYT said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

If it's a larger home but more expensive, that's not "overpriced". It's appropriately priced. It may be a larger home than you need, but don't say that it's overpriced simply because you can't afford it.

Also, while I haven't done the calculations, I can't imagine that there's a significant price difference between Stonegate+MR and Lambert Ranch without MR spread over a 30 year mortgage.

The distance between LR and Stonegate is minor at best. You may perceive a different climate, but there isn't.

I looked to buy a new home in Irvine for 3+ years. The locations I looked at ranged from Laguna Altura to Portola Springs (and even outside Irvine, as far north as Brea and as far south as Ladera Ranch). For my needs, Lambert Ranch was the best (the main factor being that TIC floorplans didn't meet my needs and I subjectively found them as boring as could be). For your needs, Stonegate was obviously best. But to say that LR is overpriced is just not true ("overpriced" isn't the same as "I can't afford"), nor is it to say that there is a different climate in LR compared with Stonegate.

Agreed.  Overprice was not the right terminology.  Affordability.

As to the climate, it's just my personal opinion.  Everytime I have visited PS, I feel it to be warmer.  It's not scientific.

Irvinecommuter said:
NYT said:
Irvinecommuter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Agreed.  Overprice was not the right terminology.  Affordability.

As to the climate, it's just my personal opinion.  Everytime I have visited PS, I feel it to be warmer.  It's not scientific.

I actually did numerous tests on the temperature difference between Portola Springs, Stonegate, and Woodbury. This test included both daytime and nightime tests during different seasons of the year (over the past year and a half). Results of my test was that there was rarely ever a temperature difference between these communities. I also included the Irvine Spectrum as part of my test and only saw a 1 degree difference on some days. This wasn't enough to notice.

Sometimes it's just in your head...and that makes a difference.  Stonegate does feel cooler, because it's in the shadows of the landfill projects.  I know it's just in my head, but perception is reality.

Back