Cypress Village Homes

freedomcm said:
The police?  Really?  what was the crime?  was there some incitement to violence that was left unsaid?

Otherwise, you just need to man/woman up and realize that the world can be unpleasant sometimes, even in Irvine

Yes it is a crime.. if it is said on TI.. it is LAW!

thatOSguy said:
freedomcm said:
The police?  Really?  what was the crime?  was there some incitement to violence that was left unsaid?

Otherwise, you just need to man/woman up and realize that the world can be unpleasant sometimes, even in Irvine

Would your opinion change if the miscreants were shouting the N-word at African Americans every time they walked by?

The behavior is bully, belittling and threatening on its face - no one should be subjected to that, especially in their own community. You need to man up and not tolerate such behavior.

It's deplorable action and you should stand up to it.  But it's not a crime.  It's covered by the 1st Amendment.  That is the reason why KKK and neo-Nazis can stage protests and parades.

freedomcm said:

The crime?  It's called threatening people, intimidation and inciting physical and verbal abuse and violence.  It is a hate crime. 

AA said:
freedomcm said:

The crime?  It's called threatening people, intimidation and inciting physical and verbal abuse and violence.  It is a hate crime.

It's not.  Yellling at and intimidating people is not a crime.

Irvinecommuter said:
AA said:
freedomcm said:

It absolutely is a crime.  If someone is yelling racists slurs at you to intimidate and threaten you and you feel fearful of that racist, it is absolutely a crime, more specifically a hate crime.  The police should be called immediately and that racist is required to be arrested and charged with a hate crime.

AA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
AA said:
freedomcm said:

It absolutely is a crime.  If someone is yelling racists slurs at you to intimidate and threaten you and you feel fearful of that racist, it is absolutely a crime, more specifically a hate crime.  The police should be called immediately and that racist is required to be arrested and charged with a hate crime.

No...it is not.  People are allowed to yell at you and call you names.  It's not a crime.  It's called the First Amendment. 

They can't physically attack you but it is not a crime.  Also, "hate crime" is not a crime within itself.  It simply an enhancement charge.  Which means that it adds on to an existing crime.  Since yelling at you is not a crime, the fact that they use racist terms does not make the yelling a crime.

Yes, they can yell that I'm fat, they can yell that I'm ugly....but they cannot yell racists slurs at me and call me the "N" word to intimidate and/or threaten me or my family.  If I am fearful and feel threaten then this is a reportable hate crime.  The 1st Amendment protects free speech NOT speech that threatens, intimidates and incites verbal/physical violence and harm. 

AA said:
Yes, they can yell that I'm fat, they can yell that I'm ugly....but they cannot yell racists slurs at me and call me the "N" word to intimidate and/or threaten me or my family.  If I am fearful and feel threaten then this is a reportable hate crime.  The 1st Amendment protects free speech NOT speech that threatens, intimidates and incites verbal/physical violence and harm.

Believe what you want.  Every Supreme Court case on the issue has found that speech is not actionable under a hate crime statute.  First Amendment even protects actions like burning of crosses. 

Yelling "I am going to kick your butt" is not a crime...yelling "I am going to kick your butt" plus racial slur still does not make it a crime.

Irvinecommuter said:
AA said:

Believe what you want.  Every Supreme Court case on the issue has found that speech is not actionable under a hate crime statute.  First Amendment even protects actions like burning of crosses. 

Yelling "I am going to kick your butt" is not a crime...yelling "I am going to kick your butt" plus racial slur still does not make it a crime.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  If someone says to me "I am going to kill you "N" word"....that is a hate crime. Period.

AA said:
Irvinecommuter said:
AA said:

I wholeheartedly disagree.  If someone says to me "I am going to kill you "N" word"....that is a hate crime. Period.

It's a legal fact...you disagreeing with it doesn't change the fact that it is not a crime.  Good luck convincing the police and the DA.

In a civilized, educated and post barbarian world, we as a society not only have to follow the letter of the law but also the "spirit" of the law.  Please don't hide behind "technicalities"  as this is cowardly.  We as a society need to stand up against what is wrong and unjust no matter whether the "technical" definitions of the law allow it or not.  Enough Said!

Actually, in a "civilized, educated and post barbarian world", we respect the rule of law even if we don't care for it or what result may come out of it because it's the law. 

It's ironic that you want to follow the "spirit" of the law as to "hate crimes" but not as to the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't the first amendment enacted when society had rampant racism/bigotry and slavery?  I'm not saying the first amendment is bad in anyway, but as society evolves so must the laws. 

AA said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't the first amendment enacted when society had rampant racism/bigotry and slavery?  I'm not saying the first amendment is bad in anyway, but as society evolves so must the laws.

I am not following you at all.  The concept of the First Amendment is that people are free to say unpopular and even hateful things because we cherish free speech as a society/country.  The government should not be allowed to determine what is or is not popular or hateful speech because it can lead to very bad things.

Again...if you want to follow the "spirit" of laws, then you should have no problems with this.

Weird my neighbors across from me are black.  When I'm washing my car, I see him saying "wats up ni66a" to every black dude that walks by than they do that hand shake thing.  My neighbor calls me his "ni66a" too.  I know this is in a different context but just saying.

Section-8 4All said:
Weird my neighbors across from me are black.  When I'm washing my car, I see him saying "wats up ni66a" to every black dude that walks by than they do that hand shake thing.  My neighbor calls me his "ni66a" too.  I know this is in a different context but just saying.

And then black people wonder why they are stereotyped.

Jasmine Plan 2 raised to Mid 700s (First Phase Pricing Must Have Been A Mistake)
Magnolia Plan 2 raised to Mid 900s (Only 100 sf larger than its counterpart, Plan 1)

Back