COVID-19 Retail Openings and Closures

irvinehomeowner said:
Let%u2019s come up with solutions.

What businesses can stay open or re-open if they put stringent social distancing measures in?

At the Spectrum Costco, they put plexiglass up at the cashier stations which was good. But, even though they scanned my items and Costco card in line to prevent contact, and I could tap to pay on the terminal, however, I still had to hand my membership card to the cashier, so one point of vulnerability.

Some places have gone no cash payments. That helps but not if you still need to hand them your credit card.

Copper is supposed to be antiviral, maybe those CopperFit gloves are safe for handling products, exchanging items, etc. :)

Pure copper still takes a couple of hours to kill bacteria/viruses on it.  It's good to be used at home, or any doorknob that's not so commonly used, but its effect isn't very useful at high traffic area.

CopperFit gloves is only laced with copper, it's anti-microbial effect isn't nearly as strong as pure copper.

UVC light is a more direct way to kill bacterial and virus, but at the cost of possibly cause skin cancer.

Spraying everything down with alcohol/diluted bleach is probably still the best way to disinfect, but alcohol is not too friendly with the finished and anti-glare screeen on a lot of scanning devices.

not sure why Costco don't just go with honor system at this point. It's not like a lot of employees check the card that closely anyway, just present the card is should be enough to deterent some people that just tries to sneak in without membership. They can alwasy just member hold up the card and scan the bar code..

I figure this is the beginning of a cashless US once someone discovers that COVID-19 can remain active on US paper currency for 14 days and infects nearly all the carriers of said currency during that period. 

Don't you realize we'll all just get a chip in our hand or forehead from which can be scanned 6ft away and debit our accounts instantly.  That's the endgame.

At the the district Costco they stopped the practice of handing over the receipt when you are leaving, at least the last two times I was there. Now you just show it to them, they glance it over do a pretend count and let you out. That whole receipt checking practice is stupid in general.

Grocery stores need to develop a system where you take a cart and as you put stuff in your cart you scan it with your phone and pay on your phone. The inside of the cart may still be ?infected? but it?s a start.

Right now I can see grocery stores just spreading the virus.

With that said, there is only so much one/businesses can do.

qwerty said:
At the the district Costco they stopped the practice of handing over the receipt when you are leaving, at least the last two times I was there. Now you just show it to them, they glance it over do a pretend count and let you out. That whole receipt checking practice is stupid in general.

Grocery stores need to develop a system where you take a cart and as you put stuff in your cart you scan it with your phone and pay on your phone. The inside of the cart may still be ?infected? but it?s a start.

Right now I can see grocery stores just spreading the virus.

With that said, there is only so much one/businesses can do.

Amazon Go

I was referring to widespread adoption at a place I can actually use it vs flying to Seattle to get have my touch less shopping experience

qwerty said:
I was referring to widespread adoption at a place I can actually use it vs flying to Seattle to get have my touch less shopping experience

FYI: Amazon go coming to Irvine
Also, there are locations in NY, Chicago, San Francisco (but according to the ap as of today they are temporarily closed) idk

But I was referring to the technology. (Camera, sensor, Etc)
That you do not have to interact with a worker when you leave the store.

From what I?ve read though, the choices are somewhat limited. Ralph?s, vons, etc need to start using it

qwerty said:
From what I?ve read though, the choices are somewhat limited. Ralph?s, vons, etc need to start using it

There are various videos on YouTube regarding Amazon Go. 

aquabliss said:
I figure this is the beginning of a cashless US once someone discovers that COVID-19 can remain active on US paper currency for 14 days and infects nearly all the carriers of said currency during that period. 

Don't you realize we'll all just get a chip in our hand or forehead from which can be scanned 6ft away and debit our accounts instantly.  That's the endgame.

I think I read that book :) Has a happy ending for most of us.

This probably isn?t the right thread but if you are looking for some sort of disinfectant, which  a lot of stores are sold out of, you can buy Lucas-cide online. Spas use it to disinfect their tools.

1/2 an ounce of this stuff makes a one gallon solution that lasts 30 days.

Innosint said:
Pure copper still takes a couple of hours to kill bacteria/viruses on it.  It's good to be used at home, or any doorknob that's not so commonly used, but its effect isn't very useful at high traffic area.

CopperFit gloves is only laced with copper, it's anti-microbial effect isn't nearly as strong as pure copper.

So I shouldn't buy these? :)

home-design.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
Innosint said:

So I shouldn't buy these? :)

home-design.jpg

Lol. Dipping the existing ones u have in boiling water will probably kill virus  more effectively than that. 

So I'm beginning to see stores that were previously closed starting to open.

I think for many of them, they had to see where this was going and put into place procedures that would focus on a level of safely that would allow them to reopen.

Several local Starbucks that were closed are now re-opening with limited hours and social distancing rules.

I've received emails from a few stores I am a rewards member of and they are reopening this week and next week.

News talks about barbers and salons re-opening (USC posted about a barber in Tustin).

I just don't know how eateries can open up even with proper distancing because you can't eat with a mask on. Maybe restaurants that have outdoor patios can start figuring out limited seating arrangments.

Since someone mentioned Covid-19 restaurant deals, I liked Hopdoddy's $5 burger meal. Basically their take on a quarter pounder, fries included. No drink but not important to me.

Bella Cuba has re-opened, as has Roma D Italia in Tustin (all for takeout).

Also read on NextDoor that Pick-Up Stix re-opened too.

I volunteer to be in the first 25% when that happens. :)

Oh we love Bella Cuba. May get some dinner there in the next day or two. Thanks for the heads up!

Back