Countdown for in-person schooling

nosuchreality said:
The reality is the question isn't about whether it is safe for elementary school kids - because i believe it is (or at least on a relative scale you are talking about something very similar with other nominal risks that are already taken). The entire question is it safe for the community, the teachers, the parents and those who the children may infect (no data shows they infect at higher rates than asymptomatic adults and there is still large doubt that even with higher viral loads that they actually spread as much as adults (but that may or may not end up holding true). 

Harder to tell because kids are just way more likley to be asymptomatic which just creates even more uncertainty around how much they spread - but if they spread at super high levels we would likely know by now because you'd have a lot of parents testing positive who than have asymptomatic kids testing (who you would find out had the virus) and likely have situations where the parent got it from the kid. 

Either way - good or bad, with schools in the east and south more open (or at least sooner than CA) we are going to know a heck of a lot more over the next few weeks to a month.  I don't think OC public schools will open before labor day (for those that do go in-person) and I'm sure California will be monitoring the other trends (including the sub data as I'm sure there are going to be pockets that do things really well which can be examples to learn from and others who do things really poorly..which also should be examples to learn from). 

@bulllsback:

But again, I'm not focusing on the fatality rate of Covid in kids or who they pass it on to... just the long term effects of kids who do get Covid. Just because they recover and may show no serious symptoms... does not necessarily mean it will not be problematic for them in the future.

Did you read the links I posted? Science and doctors are concerned about the long term effects of Covid in children. Just like when you got chicken pox as a kid... and now you are susceptible to shingles when you are older.

I'd rather not have my kids get Covid is pretty much what I'm saying.

TUSD sent out an email today saying that in person school will start on 9/10 - assuming OC stays off the watchlist.

Teachers, administrators and staff are working diligently preparing schools, reviewing the District?s health and safety guidelines to protect against the spread of COVID-19 when classes resume.  This includes enforcing mask wearing, daily screening of staff and students, physical distancing, hand washing/sanitizing, and cleaning protocols.  In preparation for the return of students, classrooms are being set up to meet physical-distancing protocols and the following equipment and supplies will be available at all schools:

Cloth face masks for students and staff
Disposable facemasks
Disposable gloves
Hand sanitizer for every classroom and workspace
Student desk shields
Touchless thermometers in every classroom
Touchless water filling stations and/or bottled water
Ion disinfecting machines for every campus
Plexiglass barriers in high traffic areas
The Tustin Unified School District?s complete School Opening and Safety Plan is on the District?s website and can be found here.

Enforcing mask? Are you sure?

qwerty said:
TUSD sent out an email today saying that in person school will start on 9/10 - assuming OC stays off the watchlist.

Teachers, administrators and staff are working diligently preparing schools, reviewing the District?s health and safety guidelines to protect against the spread of COVID-19 when classes resume.  This includes enforcing mask wearing, daily screening of staff and students, physical distancing, hand washing/sanitizing, and cleaning protocols.  In preparation for the return of students, classrooms are being set up to meet physical-distancing protocols and the following equipment and supplies will be available at all schools:

Cloth face masks for students and staff
Disposable facemasks
Disposable gloves
Hand sanitizer for every classroom and workspace
Student desk shields
Touchless thermometers in every classroom
Touchless water filling stations and/or bottled water
Ion disinfecting machines for every campus
Plexiglass barriers in high traffic areas
The Tustin Unified School District?s complete School Opening and Safety Plan is on the District?s website and can be found here.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
I don%u2019t know.  School has not been in person so there hasn%u2019t been anything to enforce.

You think they will enforce the mask policy @ TUSD. Idk

I think other school districts care the same as IUSD

Forget the city. People do not like to wear masks in general because it violates their rights and it is against the constitution. But they can not say which part of the constitution. Also, they do not know there are many case law that gives business the right to refuse service. (such as no shoes no service)

Are they going to call they going to call the parents if the kid doesn%u2019t have a mask? If a parent does not wear a mask when they pick up there kids from daycare are they going to call the police?

I am curious about the mechanics of the enforcement.

Everything is fine

Prior to the school reopening, the university had implemented some safety precautions to help prevent the spread of the virus. Move-in times for the residence halls were staggered, classrooms were redesigned to limit how many people could be in one at any time, and changes were made to dining policies and events. The school also tested students upon reentry and said ?face coverings will be required when physical distancing is not possible, which includes classrooms, labs, communal office space and on-campus gatherings.?

Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox said Monday that the city would close bars for the next two weeks due to an ?unacceptable? rise in cases at the school.

?The truth is that fall in Tuscaloosa is in serious jeopardy,? Maddox said at a news conference.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/university-of-alabama-coronavirus-140343391.html

They will enforce the mask wearing as well as schools enforce cell phone use in the classroom. No technology allowed, but the teacher can?t confiscate the phone. So if a student removes the mask is a teacher to walk out of the room...doubtful.

In terms of returning, Labor Day might create an issue...

Kangen.Irvine said:
They will enforce the mask wearing as well as schools enforce cell phone use in the classroom. No technology allowed, but the teacher can?t confiscate the phone. So if a student removes the mask is a teacher to walk out of the room...doubtful.

The regular flu season is near. It will be close to impossible to tell the difference without testing.

A lot of people are wearing masks now.  I predict Flu season is gonna be very weak this year.

Kangen.Irvine said:

Masks aren't required in the  classroom.  Masks are only required when the six foot distancing can't be followed.  The desks are six feet apart.

As for Labor day,  between incubation period and testing delays on mild / asymptomatic cases, classes will be back in session over a week before results come in.

nosuchreality said:
bones said:
Newsom moved the goal post.
Countdown is off.
https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

So daily new cases need to be below 222 a day for 14 days?  7/100k (3.176M pop). And a positivity rate 8% or under. 

Says TK-6 can get waiver.  Wonder if TUSD will apply?

Not sure if the 3 weeks apply. If it does, then that?s a min 5 weeks before schools can open without a waiver. If it doesn?t, then I guess 2 weeks?

? Every county in California is assigned to a tier based on its rate of new cases and positivity. At a minimum, counties must remain in a tier for at least 3 weeks before moving forward. Data is reviewed weekly and tiers are updated on Tuesdays. To move forward, a county must meet the next tier?s criteria for two consecutive weeks. If a county?s metrics worsen for two consecutive weeks, it will be assigned a more restrictive tier. Public health officials are constantly monitoring data and can step in if necessary.?

Back