coronavirus

Whatever you believe about the numbers...political pressure prior to an election is going to "end" this pandemic soon...

Let's get back to normal, Joe: Biden is facing mounting pressure to roll back COVID restrictions after four DEM governor's announced plans to drop face masks in schools with cases plummeting
Four Democrat governors will lift school mask rules: New Jersey's Phil Murphy, Delaware's John Carney, Connecticut's Ned Lamont and Oregon's Kate Brown
The orders come as case rates for COVID continue to plummet and pressure mounts on the administration for a return to normalcy from the pandemic
The administration put together a task force to recalculate hospitalizations after controversy ensued over how the country is counting the severity of COVID
Many criticize calculations for not distinguishing between those who go to the hospital for COVID and those at the hospital for other reasons who test positive
The White House pushed back on states ending mask mandates in schools
'We recommend masking in schools. That is the recommendation from the CDC,' Press Secretary Jen Psaki said in her daily briefing Monday
U.S. COVID cases are down 43% over the past seven days, recording 267,765 cases per day down from the 469,770 cases a week ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...m-governors-announced-end-school-masking.html

morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:
No. The volume of deaths would not be the same... if there are no resources to take care of people... death % over the curve would be much higher.

Your chart is case count... not death count... that is the flaw in your thinking.

Infections or deaths the chart would look the same. It?s an event bell curve. The mean will move left or right, up and down and any event won?t produce a perfect bell shape but the point of this visual aid was to keep that curve below the blue line. The volume under each curve was an assumed constant. By the way I never call anyone here vile names.

Looks like almost a perfect BELL CURVE...math is so fun...

Attachments

• covidbell.jpg
    covidbell.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 34
@morekaos: You still don't understand the concept of flattening the curve, just like economists don't understand the benefit of safety protocols.

Each of us makes risk assessments every day when we walk out the front door...

I?m vaxxed, boosted, and just had Covid-19. Can I relax now?
It comes down to how much risk you?re willing to tolerate.

At the start of the pandemic, recovery from a coronavirus infection was perhaps a reason for cautious optimism: If you were lucky enough to bounce back from Covid-19, you had some level of immunity. Over time, research bore this out, though it also showed that immunity wanes, so recovering from the virus wasn?t a one-and-done deal. So how should vaccinated people think about their immunity after they?ve recovered from a breakthrough infection?

After an omicron surge that infected hundreds of thousands of people a day in the US ? including many people who had breakthrough cases ? some are wondering if the combination of vaccination and infection, known as hybrid immunity, will offer some kind of lasting protection. Is this brush with the virus enough to warrant relief and a resumption of life sans pandemic precautions? Vox spoke with experts to help advise the newly recovered.

What does a Covid-19 infection do for my immunity?
Immunity is defined as your body?s ability to protect you from getting sick when you?re exposed to bacteria, viruses, parasites, or fungi; immunity can help protect you from getting infected in the first place, and if you do get infected, it can prevent you from feeling ill or protect you from severe symptoms. Depending on the type of infection, this kind of protection can last for months, years, or even a lifetime. For instance, once people recover from measles, they?re immune for life and won?t catch it again. But most illnesses aren?t one and done. Immunity to Covid-19 can last for months, but it gets weaker over time and the exact duration is still being studied.

Everyone?s body and immune system react differently to the viruses they encounter. Unlike vaccines, which deliver a standard size and formula to large populations, ?having a Covid infection is a very unstandardized thing,? says Theodore Bailey, the chief of the division of infectious diseases at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. (Even though everyone?s immune system reacts differently to the same vaccine dose ? someone could have serious side effects and others could have none ? the shots themselves are standardized.)
https://www.vox.com/22923414/breakthrough-infection-omicron-immunity

I'm vaxxed, boosted (1, now they are talking about another....) and had COVID-19 in January, yet I've met several people who have had COVID two or three times, surviving each bout as if it was a bad cold and little more.

It's still dangerous for the unvaxxed, those over 70, and those with significant comorbidities, but for those in similar conditions as I am will politically charged mandates ever end? Is the Pope an Episcopalian?

akula1488 said:
Wow. Vox is left biased and the article effectively argued vaccine mandate is stupid.

Always remember akula gonna be akula - stop feeding the troll

About as much as it argued YOU ARE STUPID

Attachments

• akula.jpg
    akula.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 37
irvinehomeowner said:
Funny how new and improved Akula gave up on original akula.

About a month and a half ago (and 30 pages of posts) I last visited these waters - seems like nothing has changed, but that was to be expected.

I'm looking forward to the 2027 Nova Special called "The Pandemic 2020-2023". They'll do their usually great job at looking how the pandemic unexpectedly changed the country's economic, political, and social environments - plus a variety of other things. Most of these will be negative with some changes that will make us better. If you go back to late 2019 and look at the changes that have already occurred since, no one predicted any of them.

Even before Covid impacted our country people were already drawing their line in the sand. Some thought the virus was the worst thing that ever happened to mankind, while others said it was a made up fraud. And a majority never changed their mind?? Funny (but in an extremely sad way) these opinions were not based on any actual knowledge and when we began to learn more about the virus, no one revised their views to reflect any new knowledge. Neither side was correct as the actual truth was somewhere in between and often changed as we learned more. I'm personally disappointed with our country. The lack of civility and respect for each other shows how we can't come together to solve anything and is actually appalling. The lack of cognitive skills and analytical thinking is shockingly low, which speaks volume about the future of our country. The word narrative is thrown around a lot here. No matter what you believe I can find a link that proves you're right and then, of course, you can call others stupid for not believing you. Many of the links actually disproved the point the poster was trying to make - lack of basic understanding on display.

I'm not an expert here, but in my humble opinion the virus will eventually burn itself out, just like the Spanish flu of 1918. Note here: that flu didn't originate in Spain. Maybe it will be reduced to an endemic flu after the next variant, or the next etc. but we will learn to live with it. We are not there yet. I think the goal of the past two years was to reduce the number of fatalities and amount of suffering while attempting to reduce the amount of economic and social pain that any action would cause. Were we successfully? NO! Both sides bear some responsibility here. I think that Nova special will talk about the reasons why we failed but also point out that many are better off while many are not. What else is new? The political and social agendas that proved successful in ensuring failure are on display in this thread. Maybe if we had gotten together early on and worked together, the pandemic would be over by now instead of dragging on longer than it needed to? If I had a genie in the bottle, I would wish that this thread ended and people would step back for some self-reflection. But even that wouldn't work because one person would say "I self-reflected and I'm right" followed by "Why can't that other guy self-reflect and realize he's wrong?" Reminds me of the middle east where both sides live in an alternate world. No peace in the middle east in my lifetime.

Back to your quote, maybe the new and improved akula is saying, ignore and stop participating in the insanity found here? I for one will follow that advice and hope others do also. Kind of like a self-vaccine from this group.

@DrTravel:

Actually, to be fair... I doubted the seriousness of Covid when it was over in China and I believe it was eyephone who mentioned it.

You can probably find the posts where I was wondering if it would be worse than our annual flu.

That changed as it came over here and cases started to rise. The kicker was when major sports ended their seasons and everything started locking down... and then even more so when my cousin, a friend, and a friend's father passed away from Covid.

I do hope it burns itself out and we can get back to normalcy but I dislike the narrative where the safety protocols were ineffective and vaccines are not safe. I probably go out more than most people here... even morekaos, and have been lucky enough to not catch Covid... I mask up, social distance and sanitize but I don't microwave my packages or change out of my clothes every 2 hours. I've even been on a 4-hour flights.

On the other hand, morekaos, and my relative who I'm ashamed of, are more lax with protocols... and guess what... they all have got Covid... if not once... maybe twice. So anecdotally... protocols work.

And... none of what I think is politically motivated which is the worst way to make decisions about science and health.

But my micro doesn't apply... only morekaos' so I guess disinformation is going to disinformation.

DrTravel said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Funny how new and improved Akula gave up on original akula.

About a month and a half ago (and 30 pages of posts) I last visited these waters - seems like nothing has changed, but that was to be expected.

I'm looking forward to the 2027 Nova Special called "The Pandemic 2020-2023". They'll do their usually great job at looking how the pandemic unexpectedly changed the country's economic, political, and social environments - plus a variety of other things. Most of these will be negative with some changes that will make us better. If you go back to late 2019 and look at the changes that have already occurred since, no one predicted any of them.

Even before Covid impacted our country people were already drawing their line in the sand. Some thought the virus was the worst thing that ever happened to mankind, while others said it was a made up fraud. And a majority never changed their mind?? Funny (but in an extremely sad way) these opinions were not based on any actual knowledge and when we began to learn more about the virus, no one revised their views to reflect any new knowledge. Neither side was correct as the actual truth was somewhere in between and often changed as we learned more. I'm personally disappointed with our country. The lack of civility and respect for each other shows how we can't come together to solve anything and is actually appalling. The lack of cognitive skills and analytical thinking is shockingly low, which speaks volume about the future of our country. The word narrative is thrown around a lot here. No matter what you believe I can find a link that proves you're right and then, of course, you can call others stupid for not believing you. Many of the links actually disproved the point the poster was trying to make - lack of basic understanding on display.

I'm not an expert here, but in my humble opinion the virus will eventually burn itself out, just like the Spanish flu of 1918. Note here: that flu didn't originate in Spain. Maybe it will be reduced to an endemic flu after the next variant, or the next etc. but we will learn to live with it. We are not there yet. I think the goal of the past two years was to reduce the number of fatalities and amount of suffering while attempting to reduce the amount of economic and social pain that any action would cause. Were we successfully? NO! Both sides bear some responsibility here. I think that Nova special will talk about the reasons why we failed but also point out that many are better off while many are not. What else is new? The political and social agendas that proved successful in ensuring failure are on display in this thread. Maybe if we had gotten together early on and worked together, the pandemic would be over by now instead of dragging on longer than it needed to? If I had a genie in the bottle, I would wish that this thread ended and people would step back for some self-reflection. But even that wouldn't work because one person would say "I self-reflected and I'm right" followed by "Why can't that other guy self-reflect and realize he's wrong?" Reminds me of the middle east where both sides live in an alternate world. No peace in the middle east in my lifetime.

Back to your quote, maybe the new and improved akula is saying, ignore and stop participating in the insanity found here? I for one will follow that advice and hope others do also. Kind of like a self-vaccine from this group.

I have to disagree with your post.

Lets do a reaction to his post.

Neither side was correct as the actual truth was somewhere in between and often changed as we learned more.
- I beg to differ. I think I was spot on. But it is not about me. It is about educating other people that need help understanding.

- the lack of civility in the US. Not a disease problem. Come together? There is a solution to covid the vaccine. Can you remind me what Trump said about the vaccine?

- you can find a link to disapprove it. But you cant deny that our health care system quality has gone down. Not because of the skilled staff. Because of the constant # of patients that enter the hospital due to covid. Also, how about the people that need the so called elective surgery? They are getting delayed and some are getting sick or dying because of that.

You say both sides bare responsibility. It aint my fault person xyz dont want to get vaccinated and end up in a bed in the icu in a hallway due to crowding.

Please dont compare the US to the middle east. First of all the US legal system is common law except Louisiana (mix of civil and common law). The middle east region the legal system is primarily sharia law.

All I have to say my experiences (over the last two years) are exactly opposite of IHO.

irvinehomeowner said:
@DrTravel:

Actually, to be fair... I doubted the seriousness of Covid when it was over in China and I believe it was eyephone who mentioned it.

You can probably find the posts where I was wondering if it would be worse than our annual flu.

That changed as it came over here and cases started to rise. The kicker was when major sports ended their seasons and everything started locking down... and then even more so when my cousin, a friend, and a friend's father passed away from Covid.

I do hope it burns itself out and we can get back to normalcy but I dislike the narrative where the safety protocols were ineffective and vaccines are not safe. I probably go out more than most people here... even morekaos, and have been lucky enough to not catch Covid... I mask up, social distance and sanitize but I don't microwave my packages or change out of my clothes every 2 hours. I've even been on a 4-hour flights.

On the other hand, morekaos, and my relative who I'm ashamed of, are more lax with protocols... and guess what... they all have got Covid... if not once... maybe twice. So anecdotally... protocols work.

And... none of what I think is politically motivated which is the worst way to make decisions about science and health.

But my micro doesn't apply... only morekaos' so I guess disinformation is going to disinformation.

DrTravel said:

Nope.  December 29th, I posted the death count:821,423.

Today 911,555.

90,000 dead.  That?s a bitch ass flu season in a month and a half.

If you believe those numbers but it doesn't matter. We have an election coming up and the narrative has changed....

If You?re Vaxxed, You?re More Likely to Be Killed by Lightning than Die of COVID: Study

Those odds can be gauged from a study by researchers at the National Institutes of Health, published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They tracked more than 1 million vaccinated adults in America over most of last year, including the period when the Delta variant was surging, and classified victims of COVID according to risk factors such as being over 65, being immunosuppressed or suffering from diabetes or chronic diseases of the heart, kidney, lungs, liver or brain.

The researchers report that none of the healthy people under 65 had a severe case of COVID that required treatment in an intensive-care unit.

?Not a single one of these nearly 700,000 people died, and the risk was minuscule for most older people, too. Among vaccinated people over 65 without an underlying medical condition, only one person died.

Among everyone else, a group that included elderly people with one or two chronic conditions, there were just eight deaths among more than 1.2 million people, so their risk of dying was about 1 in 150,000. Those are roughly the same odds that in the course of a year you will die in a fire or that you?ll perish by falling down stairs. Going anywhere near automobiles is a bigger risk: You?re three times more likely during a given year to be killed while riding in a car and also three times more likely to be a pedestrian casualty. The 150,000-to-1 odds of a COVID death are even longer than the odds over your lifetime of dying in an earthquake or being killed by lightning.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases
https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/lightnings-more-likely-good-odds-for-vaxxed/

nosuchreality said:
DrTravel said:

Nope.  December 29th, I posted the death count:821,423.
Today 911,555.
90,000 dead.  That?s a bitch ass flu season in a month and a half.

I dug up the doc's previous post (Jan 5) and reread this post and came out with a completely different perspective than you, IHO and eyephone. In your quoted statement the doc (he/she?) is clearly talking about the posts in this thread and makes a valid point. Nothing has really changed as each post has pretty much said the same thing over and over. Hell, I don't even need to read the posts as I know what the message is going to be based on the poster - and I include myself in that group. Lots of contempt shown here. The only thing that has changed is I'm here now! I bet if you go back 4 months and read those posts they will be quite similar to recent posts. It's human nature to bring our personal beliefs into our interpretation of what is posted but the doc never said, "nothing in the WORLD changed", just in this forum. It's possible that your deep concern (rightfully so) on the death toll may have clouded your judgement just this once.

When the doc switched to talking about NOVA, the narrative (that's a dirty word here) changed from the posts in this forum to primarily a country wide perspective. NOVA doesn't care about this insignificant forum and would look at this issue from a national viewpoint. Made me wonder - back in early 2020 what if Hillary were president? What if Trump didn't focus on being like a Chinese dictator and realize the Chinese were lying about the virus? What if the democrats and republicans (including Trump) actually agreed on the virus' potential? I know the national response to Covid would be completely different, but would it be better or worse than what eventually happened? Maybe even IHO and morekoas would be talking the same language!!

This is just my 2 cents worth, but I saw the doc's comments more of a macro analysis of our country's issues, but others took it on a micro level and thought they were somehow being attacked and had to defend themselves. I could be wrong so hopefully the doc will respond and let us know.

Back