coronavirus

I am guilty too - discounted my wife's worries and hesitantly bought some essentials 'only to make her happy' before S* hit the fan. Now I just gotta live rest of my life with those looks and stares...:D

Same here...things I told my wife we don't need to stock up are now in short supply  :(

Panda said:
This unemployment chart reversing is inevitable. The big question is how high will it go? Anyone wants to take a guess? Will we surpass the unemployment number of 2011 reaching 10% MoreKaos, your thoughts? I think we are going to surpass the unemployment numbers of 2011.

1993 - 7%
2003 - 5%
2011 - 10%
2022 - ??

unemployment.jpg
Yes - I see unemployment spiking quicker than we have ever seen. 

qwerty said:
Seriously. Governments are crippling the world. Absolutely amazing.

It?s almost as if politicians are trying to see who can outstupid  each other the most.

Blame China

qwerty said:

It?s almost as if politicians are trying to see who can outstupid  each other the most.
I wish we would just test all Americans at this point. I have a vague theory that we would find out we have a massive number of people who were infected with the virus with zero to no symptoms at all. If we had that data, I wonder if reactions/responses would be different.  The caveat to that is, if so many people have the virus with no symptom, it would be critical for those who are at high risk, stay quarantined. Let the masses get the virus and than rely on more herd immunity. 

Bullsback said:
qwerty said:

I wish we would just test all Americans at this point. I have a vague theory that we would find out we have a massive number of people who were infected with the virus with zero to no symptoms at all. If we had that data, I wonder if reactions/responses would be different.  The caveat to that is, if so many people have the virus with no symptom, it would be critical for those who are at high risk, stay quarantined. Let the masses get the virus and than rely on more herd immunity.

I wonder the same. So far I have not seen stats like 1000 people chosen at random were tested, x were found positive, y were showing symptoms. What is x to y ratio is is like 10 or 50 or even more?

I can understand why the politicians may not want to. If all the Americans were tested like the South Koreans, the confirmed cases will be Italy x 6. I am pretty we will be the number #1 confirmed country in the world. 50 million is the American population above the age of 65. Imagine 6% of this population passing away from the virus. Now something this would completely rock our country.

Bullsback said:
qwerty said:

Welp fuck there goes the camping trip.  I was supposed to leave tomorrow AM.  Half the party is already there and the camp is set up.  And let's not forget the several hours I spent packing to go. 

Banks are open.  Shipping/transportation is open.  Defense contractors are open.  Civil Defense, I'm sure.

Slate.com article: Republicans Found a Way to Mail Checks and Still Screw People Over

Under the plan, the government would provide households an early tax rebate worth up to $1,200 for an individual or $2,400 for a married couple, with an extra $500 for each of their children. (So far, so good). The payments will be based on a household?s 2018 tax return, or if it didn?t submit one, their 2019 filing.

But the checks will shrink for both low- and high-earners. Americans with little-to-no tax liability (aka, poor folks) will only receive a minimum payment of $600, unless they earned less than $2,500, in which case they get zilch. Low-wage workers who don?t have a federal tax return for 2018 or 2019?adults generally aren?t required to file one they earn less than the standard deduction?also won?t qualify for the early rebate. (They could still get it next year if they file taxes for 2020, but by that time it will be a bit late.) Meanwhile, the payments phase down for workers who make more than $75,000, and drop to zero for those making $99,000 and above (double those numbers for joint filers).
https://slate.com/business/2020/03/...yone-still-found-a-way-to-screw-the-poor.html

Yeah.  That new rebate plan basically screwed a good chunk of singles that can afford to live in Irvine. 

I also worked my ass off without break last year to break 6 digit. Guess what. No tax break/refund for me because of it

This is going to crush whatever small businesses are left. I?m curious to see if people will still open up small businesses down the road knowing that the government can shut everything down when the next pandemic hits and take away everything they have worked for. Interesting times. 

qwerty said:
This is going to crush whatever small businesses are left. I?m curious to see if people will still open up small businesses down the road knowing that the government can shut everything down when the next pandemic hits and take away everything they have worked for. Interesting times.

Top it off you wont get a fake/scammy individual bailout check.

Back