coronavirus

Innosint said:
Co-worker also runs a restaurant on the side... the supply of fresh food is uninterrupted.

ones that are running out are actually canned and prepped food that people are panic/massively buying.

I went to the market on 7 AM opening yesterday. while people are panic buying prepped food, ironically fresh produce were left mainly untouched for the first 2 hours.

Once people stored enough canned/prepped food, even panic buying for those items will probably stopped.

Yeah I got fresh vegetables last night and otc medicine.

If this thing doesn't end by APR 15, people are gonna say "fuck the old people" and do what they have to do.

eyephone said:
Innosint said:
Co-worker also runs a restaurant on the side... the supply of fresh food is uninterrupted.

ones that are running out are actually canned and prepped food that people are panic/massively buying.

I went to the market on 7 AM opening yesterday. while people are panic buying prepped food, ironically fresh produce were left mainly untouched for the first 2 hours.

Once people stored enough canned/prepped food, even panic buying for those items will probably stopped.

Did you guys notice gingers are out of stock in many places? 

zubs said:
If this thing doesn't end by APR 15, people are gonna say "fuck the old people" and do what they have to do.

I?ve been telling my wife this for several weeks now. No one has cared about old people before and now all of a sudden everyone cares? Agree, people are going to say F-it and move on

lnc said:
eyephone said:
Innosint said:

Did you guys notice gingers are out of stock in many places?

To be honest I have been only going to the traditional brick and motor markets since the beginning of the outbreak.
Also, I have not noticed.

There's a point in time where people under 55-60 will just go to work normally because they're fed up with the shelter in place.
The over 60's will have to stay away from society until a vaccine or a good treatment is developed.

That time is probably a month away.

Exploring the area from work to those stores around my home, so far I've stopped at...

Gelsons (NPB)
Ralphs (Newport Coast, RSM)
Pavillions (RSM)
Zion's (Irvine)
Sprouts (Lake Forest)
Mother's Market (Lake Forest)
Trader Joes (Lake Forest)
Mission Ranch (Mission Viejo - Persian market)
Albertsons (Mission Viejo)
El Fenix (RSM - Mexican focused store)
Smart and Final (Mission Viejo)
Walmart Grocery (RSM, smaller store than the Mega WM)
Dollar General (Mission Viejo)

Most of it out of curiosity than hoarding instinct. The "ethnic" stores - forgive the term - tend to still have reasonable supplies. El Fenix had rice, eggs, and tortillas. Mission Ranch was good with pasta and sauce.  Smart and Final was actually pretty well stocked (10 LB CalRose bags! Cases of eggs) with all the others wiped out of things by 10 AM. The Dollar General is in the same parking lot as Albertsons and believe it or not they had toilet paper (4 packs per person) and paper towels (4 rolls per person). Many stores meat selections were cleared, but depending on the target audience, pork products could be found (Carnitas!!!) and plenty of fish in every location I went to.

It seems like there is less hoarding going on today compared to how things looked earlier. One store had plenty of canned soup options. Fresh produce seems to be abundant as well.

If you shop at the smaller stores your luck in finding things may improve. Soylent Red's sister went to one of the Restaurant Supply stores to pick up TP - a place I hadn't considered shopping at before. Yes, it's industrial, but also in stock which is more important.

This hoarding induced shortage will pass soon.  Good luck to all out there!

My .02c

People under 55-60 are dying too.  If we all say F-it we might see several hundred thousand deaths of people below 60.  And really, are we going to, as a society, tell an entire couple generations F You?  I can't imagine the intergenerational resentment and distrust that would cause.

daedalus said:
People under 55-60 are dying too.  If we all say F-it we might see several hundred thousand deaths of people below 60.  And really, are we going to, as a society, tell an entire couple generations F You?  I can't imagine the intergenerational resentment and distrust that would cause.

As my friend Ivan Drago says, if he dies, he dies.

Life goes on.

Excuse my insensitivity but life has to go on.

I think April 15 is probably too optimistic.

Italy locked down the entire country 2 weeks ago and just reported 475 new corona-virus death in one day.

Here is the new death count of the past 7 days in Italy - 189,250,175,368,349,345,475.

On March 1st, they only had 9 new deaths in one day.

It has really exploded. Will people be unafraid to go out if we have that kind of death count daily? I really don't know

On a brighter note, Zion market at 10 AM had bags of rices ( limit 1 per), plenty of meat, and yes TOILET PAPER!

Also Water Grill in Costa Mesa is selling their food inventory tomorrow and Friday starting at 10 AM. They will have seafood, meats and vegetables for anyone interested. I've been told prices are going to be cut to induce quick sale.

daedalus said:

We let the anti vaxxers giving the middle finger to immunity compromised group for the longest time now. This is simply the next step up.
Maybe it's the final push needed to get our shit together in terms of public health, who knows.    Yes, I'm a cynic on how America's been treating and teaching public health.

irvinehomeowner said:
@kenko: I?m assuming Zion in Northwood. What about ZionMart off of University?

Sorry didn't clarify. It's Zion off of University. Both TP and rice are located at the front of the store, behind the cashiers

Crises can bring out the best and worst of humanity. I hope everyone chooses the former rather than latter. Please heed the public health warnings and instructions. Even if you are not in a high risk group, your neighbor or their grandmother or child might be. If we work together and sacrifice, lives can be saved.

On a positive note, Trump activated the Defense Production Act. He can now force private businesses to produce items of for national security.

Kenkoko said:
I think April 15 is probably too optimistic.
Italy locked down the entire country 2 weeks ago and just reported 475 new corona-virus death in one day.

Italy has high elderly population ratio (22.8%), multi-generational homes, and communal society that doesn't lend itself to social distancing.  Consider the cultural differences in verbal communication, personal space/distance when speaking with another, and norms of physical contact.

The supermarkets are not as crazy today, but if you have to do grocery shopping, avoid the weekends.

Good point about Italy. I agree US and Italy are not exactly comparable. But I think we are closer to Italy than we are to S korea and China.

Also the bigger concern is local hospital capacity not California as a whole. Orange county has 20% of population over age 60. 34% over age 50. Not exactly young.

South OC skews even older. I think Laguna woods alone has 15K + elderly. We simply don't have the hospital capacity locally to handle a massive breakout.

When comparing Italy to OC (not the US) please bear in mind that although Italy overall has a lower population, their density is less as well compared to OC

Italy has about a 560 persons per square mile density.
Orange County has around 1400 persons per square mile density.
California itself is 256 per square mile density - but California is around 38,000 square miles larger than Italy. Someone else can do the math on this one for me.

Relative population age should be another consideration. Italy's median age is around 46. Median age in California is 36. OC has a few pocket areas that skew our numbers closer to those if Italy. All of these factors go into how this pandemic will play out.

Laguna Woods and the other "active adult communities" like Sun City or Rossmore need to take extraordinary care or this thing is going to slice through them like a hot knife through butter.

My .02c

Back