coronavirus

irvinehomeowner said:
Since Mety doesn't believe the reports, I've heard from someone at a San Bernadino county hospital that they are getting overwhelmed.

Some are even transporting patients to the Bay Area:
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-hospitals-transfer-COVID-patients-15389470.php

In Imperial County, for example, hospitals have been at near-capacity for weeks. The county transferred some 500 Coronavirus patients to hospitals outside the region, including some to the San Francisco Bay Area. The mostly rural county on the Mexico border with a population of about 180,000 has had a positive rate hovering around 20%. Health experts largely agree that cross-border traffic with Mexicali is at least partly to blame for a surge since the middle of May.

And due to the sheer increase in testing, there is a backlog of trying to get results due to lack of materials and manpower:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07...ses-slows-in-california-over-holiday-weekend/

Following the long Independence Day weekend, there were up to three days worth of COVID-19 test results waiting to be reported in many of California?s largest counties Monday.

After another week with a record-setting rise in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, the pace of growth in California slowed over the holiday weekend. The caveat: Los Angeles, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, San Joaquin, Ventura, Solano and Marin counties haven?t reported new test results since Thursday, and more ? including Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, San Bernardino and Tulare ? haven?t updated their counts since Friday.

Altogether, counties that account for 70% of all the state?s cases to date will begin the week with a backlog of test results, which could inflate case counts Monday and Tuesday higher than already expected, having been rising rapidly for two weeks now.

This is probably why WorldOMeter didn't have updated new cases numbers for California.

Now checking out WorldOmeter website, it shows CA having whopping 4000+ new cases. The recover rate is still at 91%. Let's see if that changes in couple days.

Remember that city or county boards voted for no masks requirements in the IE.
Maybe that was a factor?

Sarcastic: You can not force me to wear a mask. It is my right and freedom not to wear a mask.

irvinehomeowner said:
Since Mety doesn't believe the reports, I've heard from someone at a San Bernadino county hospital that they are getting overwhelmed.

Some are even transporting patients to the Bay Area:
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-hospitals-transfer-COVID-patients-15389470.php

In Imperial County, for example, hospitals have been at near-capacity for weeks. The county transferred some 500 Coronavirus patients to hospitals outside the region, including some to the San Francisco Bay Area. The mostly rural county on the Mexico border with a population of about 180,000 has had a positive rate hovering around 20%. Health experts largely agree that cross-border traffic with Mexicali is at least partly to blame for a surge since the middle of May.

And due to the sheer increase in testing, there is a backlog of trying to get results due to lack of materials and manpower:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07...ses-slows-in-california-over-holiday-weekend/

Following the long Independence Day weekend, there were up to three days worth of COVID-19 test results waiting to be reported in many of California?s largest counties Monday.

After another week with a record-setting rise in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, the pace of growth in California slowed over the holiday weekend. The caveat: Los Angeles, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, San Joaquin, Ventura, Solano and Marin counties haven?t reported new test results since Thursday, and more ? including Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, San Bernardino and Tulare ? haven?t updated their counts since Friday.

Altogether, counties that account for 70% of all the state?s cases to date will begin the week with a backlog of test results, which could inflate case counts Monday and Tuesday higher than already expected, having been rising rapidly for two weeks now.

This is probably why WorldOMeter didn't have updated new cases numbers for California.

Trump's OK rally may have caused a surge in Tulsa:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-rally-tulsa-spike-coronavirus-cases/

A top health official in Tulsa said Wednesday that President Trump's campaign rally in the city in late June, as well as the protests that accompanied it, "more than likely contributed" to a spike in coronavirus cases in the area.

"In the past few days, we've seen almost 500 new cases, and we had several large events just over two weeks ago, so I guess we just connect the dots," Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart told reporters on Wednesday. According to the Associated Press, Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, and 206 cases on Tuesday.

At least eight Trump campaign advance staffers and two Secret Service agents who worked in Tulsa ahead of the rally have tested positive for the virus. Although attendees had their temperature checked and masks were provided, social distancing was largely not observed and wearing masks was not mandatory.

Way to go Pres!!

And remember Brazil? The #2 country with cases and deaths? Their president has it:
https://time.com/5863739/jair-bolsonaro-coronavirus-positive/

Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro tested positive for Covid-19 in an escalation of the health crisis that has engulfed Latin America?s largest economy.

?I?m perfectly well,? Bolsonaro told CNN Brasil in a live interview, after announcing the result of his test. He added he is taking hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria medicine he?s been touting as being effective against the virus though its use hasn?t been authorized by most health experts globally and could carry dangerous side effects.

The 65-year-old president, who during his campaign to reopen the economy called the virus ?just a little flu,? has repeatedly disobeyed medical recommendations to avoid contamination, mingling in crowds without a face mask and giving people handshakes.

He didn't learn from Gobert.

Let's take a look at qwerSweden:
https://www.startribune.com/sweden-has-become-world-s-coronavirus-cautionary-tale/571675662/

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40% more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.

The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden?s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors.

Sweden?s central bank expects its economy to contract by 4.5% this year, a revision from a previously expected gain of 1.3%. The unemployment rate jumped to 9% in May from 7.1% in March. ?The overall damage to the economy means the recovery will be protracted, with unemployment remaining elevated,? Oxford Economics concluded in a recent research note.

This is more or less how damage caused by the pandemic has played out in Denmark, where the central bank expects that the economy will shrink 4.1% this year and where joblessness has edged up to 5.6% in May from 4.1% in March.

In short, Sweden suffered a vastly higher death rate while failing to collect on the expected economic gains.

"If you die, the economy dies too."

irvinehomeowner said:
Let's take a look at qwerSweden:
https://www.startribune.com/sweden-has-become-world-s-coronavirus-cautionary-tale/571675662/

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40% more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.

The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden?s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors.

Sweden?s central bank expects its economy to contract by 4.5% this year, a revision from a previously expected gain of 1.3%. The unemployment rate jumped to 9% in May from 7.1% in March. ?The overall damage to the economy means the recovery will be protracted, with unemployment remaining elevated,? Oxford Economics concluded in a recent research note.

This is more or less how damage caused by the pandemic has played out in Denmark, where the central bank expects that the economy will shrink 4.1% this year and where joblessness has edged up to 5.6% in May from 4.1% in March.

In short, Sweden suffered a vastly higher death rate while failing to collect on the expected economic gains.

"If you die, the economy dies too."

I read that article earlier today and the first thing I thought of was you :)

That article is so flawed on so many levels.

Man... hospital count for OC at 691.

It was less than half of that a month ago. And I heard on the radio that Newsom may lock down again... that would be the nail in the coffin. This 3-week soft close is hurting businesses that just re-opened.

So was it worth it? Socializing, not wearing masks, ignoring safety guidelines.

I don't think the flu doubled hospitalizations in June... maybe I should just be like Starman and hope this is all a fraud. Or maybe everyone can finally wear a mask and follow protocols so our economy can stay open and kids can get their education.

Yeah, 100k per month is a big number, but if you consider that De Niro's net worth has been calculated at $500m the math is really showing he's under paying "his fair share".

$500m at 2% is plus or minus $10m annual income spun off of his investments. Considering his past actions against her, the former Ms. De Niro is asking for a mere $1.2m of support. Relatively speaking $1.2m is little more than letting out a fart in the middle of a hurricane.

My .02c

Spousal support should be based on the earning power of the stay at home spouse. If my wife was a teacher and decided to stay home then why should she get more than her teachers salary as part of a divorce?

qwerty said:
Spousal support should be based on the earning power of the stay at home spouse. If my wife was a teacher and decided to stay home then why should she get more than her teachers salary as part of a divorce?

get out of here with your logic, don't you know this is the coronavirus thread?

qwerty said:

California is a communal property state so it doesn't make sense in concept.

But maybe more because California law already allows a spouse to waive his/her right to spousal support in prenuptial agreements.

Don't want to pay up in a divorce? Have a prenup  >:D

Not "plussing or minusing" the concept or justification of how spousal support is structured. That area of the law is unfixable in its current state.

Just seems so disingenuous for a very rich man to claim sudden poverty, so much so that he can't honor his agreements and refuses "to pay his fair share". The amount due compared to the amount in his accounts defies logic. It's classic "do as I say, not as I do" stuff that couldn't have happened to a better person.

My .02c

30-year-old dies after attending 'COVID party' thinking virus was a 'hoax':
https://abcnews.go.com/US/30-year-man-dies-attending-covid-party-thinking/story?id=71731414

"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not."

Those were the final words of a 30-year-old patient who died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio this week after attending a so-called "COVID party," according to the hospital.

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children?s Hospital, said in a recorded statement that the unidentified patient told nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

"The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," Appleby said.

Appleby said she shared the story not to scare people, but to make sure they understand that the virus can affect anyone.

So morekaos, starman, Kings, adventurous and maybe qwerty can get together for a Covid party and let us know how it turns out?

Or maybe just starman since he seems to be insistent that Covid is a hoax.

Anyone else think it is?

Seriously... why do people (including some high ranking politicians) think Covid is "harmless"?

COVID 19 is neither a hoax, nor a slate-wiper.

Statistics (national and international) prove out that an enormous percentage of deaths are from pre-existing conditions (as this 30yr old had) or the Aged. Pretty much anyone under 50 has about the same mortality rate as the common flu. Yes, every death is a tragedy. No one disputes that, but we don't shut everything down for the common flu do we?

This has been an overreaction which I'm OK with in the beginning of an unknown breakout, not so much at this stage.Mask wearing and social distancing is fine. People shouldn't be too upset about it. Keeping schools closed for a .01 death rate? More kids die from eating paste or falling off of swings than COVID 19.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
COVID 19 is neither a hoax, nor a slate-wiper.

Statistics (national and international) prove out that an enormous percentage of deaths are from pre-existing conditions (as this 30yr old had) or the Aged. Pretty much anyone under 50 has about the same mortality rate as the common flu. Yes, every death is a tragedy. No one disputes that, but we don't shut everything down for the common flu do we?

This has been an overreaction which I'm OK with in the beginning of an unknown breakout, not so much at this stage.Mask wearing and social distancing is fine. People shouldn't be too upset about it. Keeping schools closed for a .01 death rate? More kids die from eating paste or falling off of swings than COVID 19.

My .02c

Um, no.  Covid is massively more fatal.  For 18-49 flu has a 0.02% death rate. Covid starts at 0.1% for the 18-29 group (5x) and rises to 0.9% for 40-49, 45x that of flu. 
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-death-rate-for-covid-19-is-50-times-higher-than-the-flu

Back