coronavirus

irvinehomeowner said:
WHO backpedaling:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/09/asymptomatic-coronavirus-spread-who/

The World Health Organization moved Tuesday to clarify its position on whether people without symptoms are widely spreading the new coronavirus, saying much remains unknown about asymptomatic transmission.

A comment by a WHO official on Monday ? calling such asymptomatic transmissions ?very rare? ? touched off a furious scientific debate over the unresolved question and attracted widespread criticism of the organization.

Less than 24 hours later, WHO convened a special news conference to walk back its comments, stressing that much remains unknown. But the comment from Monday had already spread widely and been seized upon by conservatives and others to bolster arguments that people do not need to wear masks or maintain social distancing precautions.

The episode sparked criticism of WHO?s public health messaging and highlighted just how fraught and easily politicized such work remains months into the pandemic.

AD
Calling the controversy ?a misunderstanding,? Maria Van Kerkhove, head of the WHO?s emerging disease and zoonosis unit, said that during the news conference Monday, she was trying to respond to a journalist?s question when she said asymptomatic transmission was ?very rare.?

?I wasn?t stating a policy of WHO or anything like that,? she said. ?We do know that some people who are asymptomatic, or some people who do not have symptoms, can transmit the virus on.?

It was not the ?intent of WHO to say there is a new or different policy,? added Mike Ryan, head of emergency programs for WHO. ?There is still too much unknown about this virus and still too much unknown about its transmission dynamics.?

Cancelled my visit to the Bachanal Buffet. :(

Only confirming that they have lost any credibility with the public.

irvinehomeowner said:
WHO backpedaling:
That was happening over and over during the last 6 months on various subjects, like masks, gloves, distancing, lockdown, symptoms, spread, China response.
WHO completely discredited themselves.

zovall said:
zubs said:
Will you send your kids back to normal school in the FALL?
Currently it's a no for my family.  It could change to a yes if it looks like we are controlling the virus well in early AUG.
Currently no for us as well.

Here's the latest from the State:https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/hn/documents/strongertogether.pdf
See pages 12-13, 51-53

Specific update from IUSD below.  Woodbury and other year round schools open in about a month.  I would imagine they will have to announce something sooner rather than later so parents can plan for any changes.  We are a "no" if it is business as usual, 30 kids in a class, 5 days a week.  But a yes, if its smaller class sizes, hybrid learning, etc but hard to make any decisions without knowing what it looks like in and out of school.

State Guidelines (6/8/20): IUSD is reviewing the guidelines for reopening schools released by the California Department of Public Health and California Department of Education, as we await  Orange County Health Care Agency direction for our county. We will continue to work collaboratively with state and local expert agencies and officials, to ensure we are ready for the safe return of students and staff, whether in-person, through distance learning or a blended approach.  This includes a task force comprised of District leadership, parents, students, principals, teachers, staff and school nurses. More information about the work of this task force will be provided in the near future, including opportunities for all IUSD families and staff to share their insights and feedback to support our planning.

bones said:
Specific update from IUSD below.  Woodbury and other year round schools open in about a month.  I would imagine they will have to announce something sooner rather than later so parents can plan for any changes.  We are a "no" if it is business as usual, 30 kids in a class, 5 days a week.  But a yes, if its smaller class sizes, hybrid learning, etc but hard to make any decisions without knowing what it looks like in and out of school.
Not arguing with your approach, but how do you think it's possible to run smaller classes, hybrid learning, etc within the same or reduced school budget?

adventurous said:
bones said:
Not arguing with your approach, but how do you think it's possible to run smaller classes, hybrid learning, etc within the same or reduced school budget?

Don't know so fortunately, it's not my job to figure it out.  For me (and others I'm sure), if public schools can't provide the framework I feel comfortable with, there are a variety of other options for students to choose from.  Public school will get the first bite.  Let's see what they come up with.

re: keeping kids at home - is anybody worried about their children falling behind in school? with college acceptance already being as competitive as it is, are you putting near-term family "safety" over your children's future? at what point is it "safe" to go back to school?

Kings said:
re: keeping kids at home - is anybody worried about their children falling behind in school? with college acceptance already being as competitive as it is, are you putting near-term family "safety" over your children's future? at what point is it "safe" to go back to school?

In CA, it's illegal to just keep your kids home without a gameplan, so kids will be learning.  Many districts offer independent study.  If you choose to completely DIY it, parents have to file an affidavit listing out curriculum, materials, etc.  If you do it correctly, there's no reason why your child should fall behind.  If you can't "teach" yourself, you can outsource it all.

bones said:
Don't know so fortunately, it's not my job to figure it out.  For me (and others I'm sure), if public schools can't provide the framework I feel comfortable with, there are a variety of other options for students to choose from.  Public school will get the first bite.  Let's see what they come up with.
Well, the answer is simple and short. Money... The school funds will dry up pretty quick, get ready to pay a lot extra for the public education.

bones said:
In CA, it's illegal to just keep your kids home without a gameplan, so kids will be learning.  Many districts offer independent study.  If you choose to completely DIY it, parents have to file an affidavit listing out curriculum, materials, etc.  If you do it correctly, there's no reason why your child should fall behind.  If you can't "teach" yourself, you can outsource it all.
It's a bit complicated. Learning and teaching are two different arts. You can learn quick in your own way, but your kids may have a different way of thinking. Teachers are probably not the best scientists in their area, but they must be able to find ways to communicate with kids, transfer the knowledge. It's a different skill.

adventurous said:
bones said:
It's a bit complicated. Learning and teaching are two different arts. You can learn quick in your own way, but your kids may have a different way of thinking. Teachers are probably not the best scientists in their area, but they must be able to find ways to communicate with kids, transfer the knowledge. It's a different skill.

I never said it was easy.  Homeschool is hard - parents will have to do tons of research to find the best system for their kids.  For math alone, there is a myriad of methodologies.  You'll have to answer questions on how much to outsource, to who to outsource, etc, etc, etc.  You'll have to find ways to stimulate the kids socially and collaboratively.  But many parents do it and do it well.  You can really tailor your kids' education and cut out all the BS.  You also have flexibility to change things if they're not working.  In public school, if you get a crap teacher, you're pretty much stuck with him/her for the whole year. 

adventurous said:
bones said:
Well, the answer is simple and short. Money... The school funds will dry up pretty quick, get ready to pay a lot extra for the public education.

I'm ready.  Isn't everyone just raking it in?  Day trading and bon bons ;)

Fox LA News: OC health officer resigns after threats over requiring residents to wear face masks

Protesters began demonstrating against her and even went to her home. At a recent Board of Supervisors meeting, residents brought a poster with Quick's photo on it with a Hitler mustache on her face and swastikas.

It got to the point where the county's top medical professional was receiving heightened security over the threats.

The county's top medical professional was receiving heightened security due to threats that stemmed from that health order.

Supervisor Doug Chaffee said Quick resigned apparently because it was too much for her. She has three young children and she's been severely criticized by people who came out demanding her resignation, demonstrations in front of her home.

Chaffee noted that for all the residents who show up at board of supervisors meetings to complain about the mask order officials have received a great deal of expressions of support for it.

The email is 10 to one to keep it, Chaffee said. They're afraid to show up (at board  meetings) because of the confrontation it will entail.
https://www.foxla.com/news/oc-healt...s-over-requiring-residents-to-wear-face-masks

My comments:
The OC health officer resigns the heath officer for OC area. They went to her house to protest and made threats to her. Come on! Unbelievable
One of the OC board supervisors Chaffe notes they received correspondence 10 to 1 in favor of wearing masks.

eyephone said:
Fox LA News: OC health officer resigns after threats over requiring residents to wear face masks

Protesters began demonstrating against her and even went to her home. At a recent Board of Supervisors meeting, residents brought a poster with Quick's photo on it with a Hitler mustache on her face and swastikas.

It got to the point where the county's top medical professional was receiving heightened security over the threats.

The county's top medical professional was receiving heightened security due to threats that stemmed from that health order.

Supervisor Doug Chaffee said Quick resigned apparently because it was too much for her. She has three young children and she's been severely criticized by people who came out demanding her resignation, demonstrations in front of her home.

Chaffee noted that for all the residents who show up at board of supervisors meetings to complain about the mask order officials have received a great deal of expressions of support for it.

The email is 10 to one to keep it, Chaffee said. They're afraid to show up (at board  meetings) because of the confrontation it will entail.
https://www.foxla.com/news/oc-healt...s-over-requiring-residents-to-wear-face-masks

My comments:
The OC health officer resigns the heath officer for OC area. They went to her house to protest and made threats to her. Come on! Unbelievable
One of the OC board supervisors Chaffe notes they received correspondence 10 to 1 in favor of wearing masks.
This was a sad story. Especially since in local politics, we aren't typically talking about career politicians, etc. This are people who truly are serving the local communities (who have full time paid gigs, etc). 

Booked 4 round trip Cabo tickets for $249 apiece. No penalty changes through 2021. Leaving for Catalina for a month next week...good times!! 

Deal to Cabo Mexico. (No thanks) Lets just say the covid situation in Mexico is not good. But to someone people it does not matter.

What do you do in Catalina for a month?  I know good fishing, but that island is real small.  I think a week would be all I need.  This kinda reminds me of daydreaming about selling everything I own and moving to Perth...Just because you only got 1 life.

Back