coronavirus

Kings said:
it would be political suicide, but at what point do government officials tell people to stop protesting?  200,000 dead from coronavirus?

won't someone think of the children?
I am curious where is fearless Newsom with his "save lives" agenda. It sounds like he cares less about the danger to the protesters' lives. Newsom is a racist. ;)

adventurous said:
akkord said:
When unemployment runs out, go find a job.
Provided that there is job opening on the market for them. Those who will exploit the great unemployment benefits to the very last drop will find themselves at the very end of the job applicants line.

Don't know how long unemployment is, think it was 6 months, if they started in April, then it goes right into the holidays where there are ton of seasonal jobs, they can start there. ;D

There was an article I read awhile ago that a smaller company got PPP so they could start paying employees part time and work remotely.  The employees weren't happy or didn't go back b/c they got paid more on unemployment, would you have gone back to work in May, if you could collect more $ not working?  Time is $. 

If you were in college or just out of college what would you do?  I know I'd be partying. 

akkord said:
Don't know how long unemployment is, think it was 6 months, if they started in April, then it goes right into the holidays where there are ton of seasonal jobs, they can start there. ;D

There was an article I read awhile ago that a smaller company got PPP so they could start paying employees part time and work remotely.  The employees weren't happy or didn't go back b/c they got paid more on unemployment, would you have gone back to work in May, if you could collect more $ not working?  Time is $. 

If you were in college or just out of college what would you do?  I know I'd be partying.
Typically, the unemployment benefits last 26 weeks, however with 25% unemployment rate the funds will dry up quick. California is already moved from being at $2B profit budget in Jan to $60B deficit in April.
McConnell made a clear stance on not bailing out the states, so Newsom will have to start issuing IOU very soon.
Not everyone is so lucky to profit from the larger unemployment benefits. While the mortgage companies can push back the payment schedule, the renters are not so lucky. They get a deferred pay, but they will be hit with the full amount due very soon.
Provided that quite a noticeable number of companies will go bankrupt, the employment situation is going to be ugly. 

If you are a student or a recent grad, you don't collect unemployment payments. Fresh grads are screwed badly in this economy

adventurous said:
If you are a student or a recent grad, you don't collect unemployment payments. Fresh grads are screwed badly in this economy

Why wouldn't you, what if you worked throughout college and recently graduated so not "student" any more. You worked part-time for years, maybe fulltime during summers, you may not qualify for the highest amount but you should get something, and the additional $600...I've never been unemployed *knocks on wood* so maybe I'm wrong. 

Our babysitter for the past couple months, is a recent grad from UCI, she got an interview a couple weeks ago and is now hired full time, we lost our babysitter.  :-\

akkord said:
Our babysitter for the past couple months, is a recent grad from UCI, she got an interview a couple weeks ago and is now hired full time, we lost our babysitter.  :-\

Good for her (bad for you).

Can I ask what field?

It was an entry level job for a small commercial real estate company.  I didn't get too much detail from her, but she graduated, got an interview, and was hired full time within a span of 2-3 weeks.  Great for her in these trying times with unemployment so high.

Not sure what kind of Hollywood contagion you all are expecting?  Seriously glad we're not seeing the apparent jaw dopping spike in cases nationwide in barely over a week in a protesting population of mostly young healthy individuals with  most wearing masks.

Seriously, what kind of numbers do you all need to see?

There has been a dramatic decline in people going to the hospital because of an irrational fear of covid-19. People with serious conditions like heart disease, appendicitis, vascular diseases, diabetes, and cancer are avoiding the hospital because of the atmosphere of fear and panic stoked by the authorities and the media.

?One of my surgeons said to me last week that he has done more amputations in the last few weeks than he can ever remember,? he said. ?The story of each of those patients was the same: They knew that they had a significant problem, but they wanted to try to take care of it at home because they really wanted to avoid coming into the hospital.?
https://www.boston.com/news/coronav...room-visits-decline-massachusetts-coronavirus

So all of the officials and experts making daily dire covid-19 predictions and the 24/7 media coverage of every possible negative thing about covid-19 is doing more than ruining people's livelihoods. It is costing lives. The tragic deaths from this health care catastrophe is caused by the government and media?s handling of covid-19, not the virus itself.

Like the jobs numbers today...the "professionals "  are wrong again...and it costs the public, monetarily and physically.  This whole exercised in panic has now, unfortunately, has shaken the publics trust in authority.  The boy who cried wolf has manifested itself and now when a real threat arises few will want to listen.

Happiness said:
There has been a dramatic decline in people going to the hospital because of an irrational fear of covid-19. People with serious conditions like heart disease, appendicitis, vascular diseases, diabetes, and cancer are avoiding the hospital because of the atmosphere of fear and panic stoked by the authorities and the media.

?One of my surgeons said to me last week that he has done more amputations in the last few weeks than he can ever remember,? he said. ?The story of each of those patients was the same: They knew that they had a significant problem, but they wanted to try to take care of it at home because they really wanted to avoid coming into the hospital.?
https://www.boston.com/news/coronav...room-visits-decline-massachusetts-coronavirus

So all of the officials and experts making daily dire covid-19 predictions and the 24/7 media coverage of every possible negative thing about covid-19 is doing more than ruining people's livelihoods. It is costing lives. The tragic deaths from this health care catastrophe is caused by the government and media?s handling of covid-19, not the virus itself.

I?ve argued this before. Exchanging one death for another. Kenkoko and IHO busted out their models saying how that is a fallacy and that without the shutdown there would be many more deaths from the system being overwhelmed.

I?m not sure what has changed since the shutdown started. We don?t have a treatment and we don?t have a vaccine. Why are we opening back up? 

Because like we have said before, money is greater than lives. Ans saving every life isn?t practical. Unfortunately the government is made up of followers and not leaders. We just followed the herd and shutdown because every other country started doing it. Sweden probably had the best approach. Yeah they had more deaths upfront but everyone else will catch up.  And the initial shutdown was a severe overreaction. Yeah they erred on the side of caution but that came at the expense of 40 million unemployed and other deaths (or amputations as noted above).

Now that everything is essentially open are the hospitals overrun?

We could of just had these guidelines (distancing/masks) from the get go without the shutdown.

This is why there won?t be another shutdown this winter. It?s costly and a lot of the fear factor is gone.

If the government really cared about lives they would not have let a of these protests happen. They already trampled all sort of other rights why not trample this one as well?

When NY was headed up the curve, everyone was panicking, so drastic measures were taken.
Now that NY covid deaths are coming down, some people are saying we sacrificed too much to flatten the curve. 

No one here has been through a pandemic before.  Mistakes will be made on the side of minimizing deaths and I'm ok with that.

zubs said:
When NY was headed up the curve, everyone was panicking, so drastic measures were taken.
Now that NY covid deaths are coming down, some people are saying we sacrificed too much to flatten the curve. 

No one here has been through a pandemic before.  Mistakes will be made on the side of minimizing deaths and I'm ok with that.

Hitchens point gets made...

As things stand, the Johnson Government is like a doctor, confronted with a patient suffering from pneumonia. ?This is serious,? says the doctor. ?I have never seen anything like this. Unless I act radically, you will die terribly.?

He then proposes to treat the pneumonia by amputating the patient?s left leg, saying this method has been used successfully in China. The trusting patient agrees. The patient eventually recovers from pneumonia, as he would have done anyway. The doctor proclaims that his treatment, though undoubtedly painful and radical, was a great success. But the patient now has only one leg, and a very large hospital bill which he cannot afford to pay.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8163587/PETER-HITCHENS-Great-Panic-foolish-freedom-broken-economy-crippled.html

It's not as simple as exchanging one death for another.

Does Sweden really have the best approach? Lock-down opposing media would have you think so. But Swedish official Tegnell, the architect of the country?s strategy just acknowledged its no-lockdown COVID-19 strategy might have been a mistake.

Sweden?s state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said there is ?potential for improvement? in the government?s no-lockdown strategy, suggesting a more effective policy might have been somewhere between what Sweden opted for and the strict restrictions other nations imposed.

Tegnell?s comments are an about-face: For months, he?s insisted his nation?s approach was more sustainable.
https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/03/sweden-covid-19-no-lockdown/

qwerty said:
I?ve argued this before. Exchanging one death for another. Kenkoko and IHO busted out their models saying how that is a fallacy and that without the shutdown there would be many more deaths from the system being overwhelmed.

I?m not sure what has changed since the shutdown started. We don?t have a treatment and we don?t have a vaccine. Why are we opening back up? 

Because like we have said before, money is greater than lives. Ans saving every life isn?t practical. Unfortunately the government is made up of followers and not leaders. We just followed the herd and shutdown because every other country started doing it. Sweden probably had the best approach. Yeah they had more deaths upfront but everyone else will catch up.  And the initial shutdown was a severe overreaction. Yeah they erred on the side of caution but that came at the expense of 40 million unemployed and other deaths (or amputations as noted above).

Now that everything is essentially open are the hospitals overrun?

We could of just had these guidelines (distancing/masks) from the get go without the shutdown.

This is why there won?t be another shutdown this winter. It?s costly and a lot of the fear factor is gone.

If the government really cared about lives they would not have let a of these protests happen. They already trampled all sort of other rights why not trample this one as well?

So much misinformation about this post. Did you not read that Sweden admitted they made a mistake in not locking down better (and contrary to qwerpopular belief, they did lock down certain activities)?

I'll just dismiss this whole post like you've dismissed all the data and scientific fact.

zubs said:

This right here.

But evidently, qwerty has been through multiple pandemics and knows the science more than any one in the universe... so he should replace Dr. Fauci and the President.

morekaos said:
zubs said:

As things stand, the Johnson Government is like a doctor, confronted with a patient suffering from pneumonia. ?This is serious,? says the doctor. ?I have never seen anything like this. Unless I act radically, you will die terribly.?

He then proposes to treat the pneumonia by amputating the patient?s left leg, saying this method has been used successfully in China. The trusting patient agrees. The patient eventually recovers from pneumonia, as he would have done anyway. The doctor proclaims that his treatment, though undoubtedly painful and radical, was a great success. But the patient now has only one leg, and a very large hospital bill which he cannot afford to pay.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8163587/PETER-HITCHENS-Great-Panic-foolish-freedom-broken-economy-crippled.html

Who's Hitchens?  He sounds like a retard.
Don't use pneumonia and amputation.  It's not comparable.

Just use pandemic and lockdown.  It's what actually is being done.

zubs said:
morekaos said:
zubs said:

Who's Hitchens?  He sounds like a retard.
Don't use pneumonia and amputation.  It's not comparable.

Just use pandemic and lockdown.  It's what actually is being done.

It's a metaphor..

Kenkoko said:
It's not as simple as exchanging one death for another.

Does Sweden really have the best approach? Lock-down opposing media would have you think so. But Swedish official Tegnell, the architect of the country?s strategy just acknowledged its no-lockdown COVID-19 strategy might have been a mistake.

Sweden?s state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said there is ?potential for improvement? in the government?s no-lockdown strategy, suggesting a more effective policy might have been somewhere between what Sweden opted for and the strict restrictions other nations imposed.

Tegnell?s comments are an about-face: For months, he?s insisted his nation?s approach was more sustainable.
https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/03/sweden-covid-19-no-lockdown/

I already posted this. qwerty doesn't read anything that goes against his non-scientific position no matter how much science/data/facts are behind it.

Back