Coronavirus Recession

paydawg said:
Did you see the OC Health stats for today?  The numbers (across the board) went up.  Cases, Hospitalizations, ICU cases, and Deaths.  They all seemed to spike higher today.
So what? Without the vaccine, 70%-90% will get infected eventually. The hospitals are literally empty. Keeping people self-quarantined till October? It's insane

bones said:
100%.  Went on a social distancing playdate last week where no one wore masks except me.  Kids tried to stay 6 feet apart but that all went out the window after a bit.  Got asked again this week and had to pass - I'm not there yet.
Very few people care about 6ft. Why 6ft in the first place? It well can be 3ft or 15 ft.  The arbitrarily picked number doesn't make any sense to me. Wearing masks in public is a personal choice, but if your kids mingle with other kids, the mask on your face looks useless.

adventurous said:
bones said:
100%.  Went on a social distancing playdate last week where no one wore masks except me.  Kids tried to stay 6 feet apart but that all went out the window after a bit.  Got asked again this week and had to pass - I'm not there yet.
Very few people care about 6ft. Why 6ft in the first place? It well can be 3ft or 15 ft.  The arbitrarily picked number doesn't make any sense to me. Wearing masks in public is a personal choice, but if your kids mingle with other kids, the mask on your face looks useless.

Sure. Hence my last sentence.
I actually tried to get my kid to stay 9.998 feet away but the other kids decided 2 inches was their magic number.
Everyone is going to do this thing differently based on personal comfort level which will certainly evolve as time goes on.  Socially, it?s been hard to read what that is for everyone.

Had to go to Target at the District because the one in Spectrum didn?t have what we were looking for (turns out the app was wrong because District didn?t have it either).

I was surprised there were a number of people not wearing masks. Turns out Tustin does not have the same mask ordinance that Irvine does, so qwerfreedom picked the right city to live in.

It was interesting to see demographically who wasn?t wearing a mask. It was mostly males... and I would look down to check their calve size.

I also noticed the Tustin district Target never had the lines to get in like the Irvine targets, which was nice.

No masks, no lines = Tustin > Irvine :)

Reopening reality check: Georgia's jobs aren?t flooding back.

A month after easing lockdown restrictions, the state is still seeing a steady stream of unemployment claims, economic data shows.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/21/georgia-reopening-coronavirus-jobs-273070

?We?ve been chasing a bit of a false narrative that the economic hit is about the restrictions and not the disease itself,? said Julia Coronado, president and founder of Macropolicy Perspectives, an economic research consulting firm. ?The economic story really isn?t about lockdowns, and we?re going to make mistakes by pursuing that narrative. It really is about the disease, and how fearful people are about getting sick, and how businesses are going to operate in a world where this virus is with us.?

I have a good friend who owns and operates 3 Dental offices.  He is having trouble getting people to come back because they are all making more on unemployment and Covid relief than he can pay them normally.. He is furious, and wants the government to caveat that if they are offered their previous job back and they refuse it that they get cut off immediately.  This is the problem with free money...nobody wants to work and they become dependent on the handouts.  Predictable.

morekaos said:
I have a good friend who owns and operates 3 Dental offices.  He is having trouble getting people to come back because they are all making more on unemployment and Covid relief than he can pay them normally.. He is furious, and wants the government to caveat that if they are offered their previous job back and they refuse it that they get cut off immediately.  This is the problem with free money...nobody wants to work and they become dependent on the handouts.  Predictable.

Is this in California? Maybe if he can afford 3 dental offices he can offer to pay them an extra $600/wk.

morekaos said:
This is the problem with free money...nobody wants to work and they become dependent on the handouts.  Predictable.

America is an interesting place full of people who firmly believe in the work ethic and how meaning in life is derived from employment, and at the same time firmly believe that if employment were fully voluntary by no longer withholding food, no one would accept the joy of a job.

morekaos said:

A couple good friends of mine are refusing their employers call for them to work because they are getting $600 per week free money in addition to unemployment so they are making almost as much doing nothing as working. These are work at home jobs so its not an issue of fear of the virus that is preventing their working.

I don't blame them though; why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. The blame is entirely on the government and the media which refuses to report on this issue.

Yup, people are gaming the system. It's not the extra $600 per week. Its the fact that they do not have to do anything for it.  Talked to a girl yesterday who was s former hair dresser. With EBT, unemployment, cash gigs and her Covid checks she is tolling around $4 grand a month.  She says her biggest problem is boredom.  She will milk this for as long as they will let her.

Have you ever wondered why the media screams every day about the millions of unemployment claims but does not mention every one of those claim filers gets $600 a week free money on top of UI benefits while encouraging people not to pay rent?

irvinehomeowner said:
So if all these people are getting free money, why in a hurry to reopen the economy?

:)
Exactly. Let's print more dollars. Oh, wait we don't even have to print it nowdays. Yay!!!
People just don't understand what's going to happen with the economy, if the free handouts continue

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So if all these people are getting free money, why in a hurry to reopen the economy?

That's why there is no hurry on the Left.

It is interesting that in polls more Democrats feel we are reopening too early.

So all the protestors are Republicans? :)

adventurous said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Exactly. Let's print more dollars. Oh, wait we don't even have to print it nowdays. Yay!!!
People just don't understand what's going to happen with the economy, if the free handouts continue

PPP = free money (once the business meets the requirement they do not have to pay back the government)

TARP = banks borrowed money from the US government. After the TARP program the government made money.

Back