Coronavirus Recession

irvinehomeowner said:
No one is even sure you can have herd immunity which is another reason why these precautions are being used.

If herd immunity is not possible, then there will probably be no vaccine because vaccines work on the herd immunity principle.

If there is no cure or treatment, then what? Lockdown for life? Or everyone just accepts the virus and get on with their lives.

You keep on asking questions and then someone gives you an answer and you just tell them it?s wrong. I think it?s fair to say we are just going to disagree.

There is no point in arguing about your opinion vs my opinion.

Just like now, I consider what I do as basic and it seems you do not. The flu comparison is valid because it is respiratory virus that kills people. And it is here every year. With no real treatments or cure. I have been getting the flu vaccine for about 5-6 years and still got pretty sick in the fall.

On the 80k number, I don?t think it would be all that much different than it is now. You are going to tell me that yes it would because look at Italy where the demand exceeded capacity. But how many of those people would have died anyway? My whole point is that if you are predisposed to death if get the virus you are going to likely die whether you go the the hospital or not. How many of the people that went to the ER would have survived anyway? We would need to have accurate data on these things but we will never know because you can?t prove a negative. We just have fundamentally different viewpoints.

You argue with opinion and you don?t accept others opinions when they argue with it. With that said, you are 10,000 times better than eyephone. At least people can have a reasonable discussion with you, which is why I like you and try to stick my eyephone in you :)

Happiness said:
irvinehomeowner said:
No one is even sure you can have herd immunity which is another reason why these precautions are being used.

If herd immunity is not possible, then there will probably be no vaccine because vaccines work on the herd immunity principle.

If there is no cure or treatment, then what? Lockdown for life? Or everyone just accepts the virus and get on with their lives.

Something else. Because obviously the Trump approach is not working. Trump is more concerned about Mike Flynn than the covid virus.

#focus

I am of the mindset now that at this point it?s time to make the callous decision and get back to business as normal. Someone post the gif of the Russian guy from rocky 4 saying ? if he dies, he dies?

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Comparing it to the flu is an old argument by Covid Hoax crowd.
Now the argument is unfortunately the unhealthy with conditions will not make it.

You can?t argue that the flu kills you are just to dumb to actually make any logical point

Trust me I am not dumb. Did you get into USC because of affirmative action?

As usual, to stupid to even have decent comeback.

Resorting to your typical racist response.

The cards are turned on him and he can not handle it. He can dish the jokes and insults. But when someone does it to him. He calls people moron.

Call me a moron. I am not the moron who is ready to die and leave my family like you previously said.

eyephone said:
The cards are turned on him and he can not handle it. He can dish the jokes and insults. But when someone does it to him. He calls people moron.

Call me a moron. I am not the moron who is ready to die and leave my family like you previously said.

You must mean either the tables are turned on him, or the deck is stacked against him.  I?ve never heard of the ?cards being turned? on anyone.

Silly American figures of speech.

Just one example of the pain of airlines and why buffet dumped all of it.

Delta said it would retire its 18 wide-body 777s by the end of the year. Once demand for international travel recovers, the airline plans to use newer, more fuel-efficient aircraft on long flights.
Delta is losing about $50 million a day, a figure that it hopes to bring to zero by the end of the year. It has already moved up plans to retire two other fleets, the MD-88 and MD-90, and has idled more than 650 jets in all.

And they are 10,000 over staff pilots that would need to be cut by fall. These are high paying jobs. This is just 1 company, now multiple that by hundreds.

Bleaks.

LA offer free testing then Irvine. How come I always see the LA county supervisor/LA mayor update. But rarely the OC supervisors update.
Please inform your constituents. This is your duty and part of your job!

I am not comparing, but we would like to know what is going on!

irvinehomeowner said:

Multiquote wall-o-text time!!

TLDR: Can we all just get along?

qwerty said:
You keep on asking questions and then someone gives you an answer and you just tell them it?s wrong. I think it?s fair to say we are just going to disagree.

There is no point in arguing about your opinion vs my opinion.

Not sure if I have recently said your opinion was wrong... as I agree opinions are just that.

But... opinions can be misinformed or they simply defy logic.

Like this one:

The flu comparison is valid because it is respiratory virus that kills people.

Medical science is discovering that Covid is affecting more than just the respiratory system. I've posted multiple links about that but I don't think you like reading them.

Again, at first, I was also wondering if Covid was similar to the flu to get a point of reference but with all the *data* (not opinions) in that last few months, it is evident that it is worse... higher incubation period (even asymptomatic) and highly contagious.

And it is here every year. With no real treatments or cure. I have been getting the flu vaccine for about 5-6 years and still got pretty sick in the fall.

No real treatments for the flu? What is the vaccine for then? I realize this is just your "opinion" but I think medical professionals will disagree with you here.

Now this next "opinion", while you may not think is wrong, defies logic based on your own admissions:

On the 80k number, I don?t think it would be all that much different than it is now.

Your opinion in the past has been that flattening the curve does not reduce deaths it only extends them out over time. You already admitted that you did not take into account the impact on health resources that may reduce the number of deaths and that the extra time not only allows to find more effective treatments but also helps build herd immunity (if that exists). But it seems you are walking that back again... so I guess you disagree with yourself.

But let's use your premise that flattening the curve only extends that number over time. Then there is no way it would only be only 80k deaths today if we did not shelter in. It should be more like 125k or whatever you think the total number of deaths would be because all those deaths would come sooner not later. And what kind of impact would that have on the economy... because again, no flu has killed that many people in that short amount of time.

You are going to tell me that yes it would because look at Italy where the demand exceeded capacity. But how many of those people would have died anyway? My whole point is that if you are predisposed to death if get the virus you are going to likely die whether you go the the hospital or not. How many of the people that went to the ER would have survived anyway? We would need to have accurate data on these things but we will never know because you can?t prove a negative. We just have fundamentally different viewpoints.

Please talk to a doctor. I don't think the difference here is viewpoint... it's your understanding of how this disease works, medical treatment and health science.

You argue with opinion and you don?t accept others opinions when they argue with it.

Actually, if you look at my posts, I back up my opinion with data, links and other facts. If there is something that is just my opinion, I state it... or I ask about it.

And no one has to accept anyone else's opinion here... but they should at least be consistent about what forms that opinion instead of posting misleading links from unreliable resources (not referring to you here).

With that said, you are 10,000 times better than eyephone. At least people can have a reasonable discussion with you, which is why I like you and try to stick my eyephone in you :)

To be fair to eyephone... he does bring up salient points and while he usually skews political, we do need his different viewpoint as we need yours and everyone else's. I agree he should stay away from the race related innuendos but you should probably not call him names either (and yes... I know he does that too).

We all get snarky when discussing hot button issues... let's just try to keep it on topic.

And we're still instant abs bros right?

7XfsQqX.jpeg

Back