Coronavirus Recession

If you listened to the surprise video from Tuesday night, you would have heard all the bad, bloated helping everybody but real Americans dog whistles. McCarthy stepped up and did exactly as desired.  No $2000 stimulus until you axe the $25 million for 'gender programs' in Afghanistan.

The people that voted the republicans that signed on to the 126 and back McCarthy on the block heard every one of those dog whistles and KNOW the real problem is the corrupt, graft ridden swamp that is sending money everywhere but here.

Red American is getting the non-Governance for which they have been clamoring.

JIMHO, Trump voters don't see this as a problem, they still see the Democrats as being the problem.  Never mind every expenditure he rattled off is from his budget.

nosuchreality said:
If you listened to the surprise video from Tuesday night, you would have heard all the bad, bloated helping everybody but real Americans dog whistles. McCarthy stepped up and did exactly as desired.  No $2000 stimulus until you axe the $25 million for 'gender programs' in Afghanistan.

The people that voted the republicans that signed on to the 126 and back McCarthy on the block heard every one of those dog whistles and KNOW the real problem is the corrupt, graft ridden swamp that is sending money everywhere but here.

Red American is getting the non-Governance for which they have been clamoring.

JIMHO, Trump voters don't see this as a problem, they still see the Democrats as being the problem.  Never mind every expenditure he rattled off is from his budget.

Mitch McConnell blocked the Senate from voting for $2k for covid relief to all Americans. The Republicans do it again.

I haven't read the details, but I'm guessing it's the same criteria as before, meaning a lot of the members on this site won't be getting checks anyway.  Just higher taxes to pay for it all.  *sigh*

daedalus said:
I haven't read the details, but I'm guessing it's the same criteria as before, meaning a lot of the members on this site won't be getting checks anyway.  Just higher taxes to pay for it all.  *sigh*

But it will boost the economy and help the people that need help.

eyephone said:

I'm not against helping those who need help, but the "untargeted" attack levied by republicans is fair criticism.  All stimulus is to the detriment of retirees and other savers.  We as a country have too much debt.  Our retirees are succumbing to inflation.  Our currency is weakening.  We're like a frog in a pot of water on the stove, unaware we're about to get cooked.

daedalus said:
eyephone said:

I'm not against helping those who need help, but the "untargeted" attack levied by republicans is fair criticism.  All stimulus is to the detriment of retirees and other savers.  We as a country have too much debt.  Our retirees are succumbing to inflation.  Our currency is weakening.  We're like a frog in a pot of water on the stove, unaware we're about to get cooked.

It is what it is. I did not hear the deficit argument when Trump was in office.  His tax cuts to companies and increase taxes to individuals did not balance the deficit. It did not come close.

Also, this way money will help individuals and not just business. I am not sure the PPppPPP program helped or not. There are now many stories that people received the loan/grant when they did not need it. In addition, there are many stories that there were a lot of business that were left out as there application was in limbo with no status and the money RAN out.

In my opinion: the PPP program has no accountability, there was rampant fraud (like loan processors/affiliated workers applying for the PPP loan.
Trump did the opposite of Tarp. Trump did the free money approach vs TARP you have to payback or we are taking your company mo fo! Lol

I agree.  I remember when republicans could be counted on for fiscal conservatism, and what we have today is shameful in comparison.  Reagan must be rolling over in his grave.  An '80s republican would find themselves aligning more with some of today's independents.  It is what it is until it isn't what it was, at which point we might wish we hadn't voted ourselves all that stimulus.

eyephone said:
daedalus said:
eyephone said:

It is what it is. I did not hear the deficit argument when Trump was in office.  His tax cuts to companies and increase taxes to individuals did not balance the deficit. It did not come close.

Also, this way money will help individuals and not just business. I am not sure the PPppPPP program helped or not. There are now many stories that people received the loan/grant when they did not need it. In addition, there are many stories that there were a lot of business that were left out as there application was in limbo with no status and the money RAN out.

In my opinion: the PPP program has no accountability, there was rampant fraud (like loan processors/affiliated workers applying for the PPP loan.
Trump did the opposite of Tarp. Trump did the free money approach vs TARP you have to payback or we are taking your company mo fo! Lol

I dont like that idea of the government having control or oversight of the company if you have TARP funds back in the day. But fair is fair. If you are going to take a big loan from the US taxpayers then you have to pay the taxpayers back. (So executive compensation and company events were scrutinized lol)
Note under the Ppppppp program it was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee money with no obligation to pay back. You just have to have people under payroll even though the company is failing. It just did not make any sense.

I think the PPP had more guidelines than that... it wasn't free if you didn't properly document how it was used.

What I didn't like is how the banks administering it favored their bigger clients rather than businesses who really needed it.

In the end... it's all debt... whether to businesses or individuals and they all have a case for needing it.

I feel like Republicans look the other way when corporate welfare (PPP) is squandered, but are automatically triggered by personal welfare programs. I'm not saying I have the answer -- go too lenient and there will be fraud and go too stringent and the red tape is overwhelming -- but the difference in tone has been amazing to watch.

As someone who runs a small business that has received 6 figures of PPP, we would be in much better shape financially if this administration hadn't fumbled the pandemic so badly. Even now, Trump cares more about fighting the election than leading by example with masks and vaccine. Just take the pain so that business can go back to normal. The case counts, the deaths, the slow burn will-we-wont-we has been much more damaging to our business than the amount of PPP we received.

So it looks like there are more than a handful of businesses disobeying the orders.

Since this is a chain, I think I can call them out but Claim Jumpers by South Coast, is still doing outdoor dining and so is Denny's (I've seen various locations).

I saw a barber in Newport Beach with a customer inside (maybe that was the owner?) and there are even a few restaurants (in South County) who are doing *indoor* dining.

And yes, USCTrojan, there are some KBBQs who are still doing dining... outside and inside.

This really tears me up considering my cousin who is Covid fatal... but again... if they observe safety protocols, keep their operations outdoors and distanced, that's probably safer than all these indoor grocery stores/club stores.

With recent events, we stopped risk taking and went back to take-out only... but we've seen some businesses close recently so we feel for them.

Try to support businesses as safely as you can!

I agree with IHO. Also, if you order try to pick it up yourself. Because business give a percentage of the sale to delivery services.

eyephone said:
I agree with IHO. Also, if you order try to pick it up yourself. Because business give a percentage of the sale to delivery services.

We were getting Ajisen Ramen and they don?t have their own online ordering system but they use the door dash ordering system. I?m not a fan of the food delivery services so I was going to pick it up. She was going to place the online order through door dash for pickup and I told her to just call it in so the restaurant wouldn?t lose a piece of the revenue.

I think these delivery services probably do more harm than good at least to the restaurant itself. I?m curious what the break even is for them on the higher volume/lower profit vs lower volume/higher profit is for them.

I remember hearing on the radio there was some deal with DoorDash or GrubHub where they use the restaurant's employees for delivery and they in turn take a smaller cut.

Other than pizza... I usually pick it up myself because I want to prevent as many extra "touches" from unknowns as possible. For a while we were just doing the outdoor stripmall tables (Irvine Company has kept them all open even after the Gov order) so the food was still hot and fresh.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

We were getting Ajisen Ramen and they don?t have their own online ordering system but they use the door dash ordering system. I?m not a fan of the food delivery services so I was going to pick it up. She was going to place the online order through door dash for pickup and I told her to just call it in so the restaurant wouldn?t lose a piece of the revenue.

I think these delivery services probably do more harm than good at least to the restaurant itself. I?m curious what the break even is for them on the higher volume/lower profit vs lower volume/higher profit is for them.

Delivery services charges around 30% from what I heard when analysts were talking about the recent delivery service ipo.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

Yup, I try to do the same. I like the convenience of the apps but right now would prefer the restaurants keep as much as they can.

As I said, people are making decisions as to how much risk they each are willing to take. Outside dining at Maestros, haircut and shave behind butcher papers windows...or don?t. Can?t stop it..Trump or Biden, it makes no difference.

irvinehomeowner said:
So it looks like there are more than a handful of businesses disobeying the orders.

Since this is a chain, I think I can call them out but Claim Jumpers by South Coast, is still doing outdoor dining and so is Denny's (I've seen various locations).

I saw a barber in Newport Beach with a customer inside (maybe that was the owner?) and there are even a few restaurants (in South County) who are doing *indoor* dining.

And yes, USCTrojan, there are some KBBQs who are still doing dining... outside and inside.

This really tears me up considering my cousin who is Covid fatal... but again... if they observe safety protocols, keep their operations outdoors and distanced, that's probably safer than all these indoor grocery stores/club stores.

With recent events, we stopped risk taking and went back to take-out only... but we've seen some businesses close recently so we feel for them.

I would never go indoor dining at a KBBQ during pandemic, holy crap. All that ventilation means that air is being circulated internally a lot.

It'll be interesting to see if people change their behavior (or not) when death counts get higher.

HMart said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I would never go indoor dining at a KBBQ during pandemic, holy crap. All that ventilation means that air is being circulated internally a lot.

It'll be interesting to see if people change their behavior (or not) when death counts get higher.

No way I'd do indoor Korean BBQ now but would be open to outdoor spaced out Korean BBQ.  I refuse to use Doordash, Grubhub, UberEats, etc and mostly do take out from smaller food places (other than In'N'Out and Chic-fil-A) that I like when I'm not cooking at home so the restaurants keep as much food as possible. 

Back