Cambria @ Stonegate Grand Opening on Jan. 26th

was availability the only deciding factor between cambria and san mateo for u?  seems like from ur post that u were on the wait list and prequalified for both... would definitely be interesting to hear the opinion of an actual buyer on why choose an attached condo over a detached condo... or did u buy both with an intent of renting one out?

sillyrabbit said:
irvinehomeowner said:
irvine123searching said:
@sillyrabbit
  What did you do to be in the first six? Pre-registered before the grand opening?
Oppa FCB Style:

money_suitcase.jpg

nope (i have been following this thread for some time)  and cambria since it was announced.

simple diligence and asking a lot of questions. I knew the loan officer since I was already on the list for San Mateo + Santa Maria so I knew the minute the loan application would open up. FYI the loan application opened up sometime early january, and 2 weeks later they had their grand opening (i did not officially register until like jan 28 or so but the important element for getting high on that list was getting pre-qualified.  so yes they did sell all 6 homes prior to the "public grand opening" I submitted in the first five minutes and I still wasn't the first person on that list.

The demand is that intense i suppose. ??? I dont know if you can walk in with a box of cash and get ahead of everyone but I sincerely doubt it.

sillyrabbit said:
irvinehomeowner said:
irvine123searching said:
@sillyrabbit
  What did you do to be in the first six? Pre-registered before the grand opening?
Oppa FCB Style:

money_suitcase.jpg

nope (i have been following this thread for some time)  and cambria since it was announced.

simple diligence and asking a lot of questions. I knew the loan officer since I was already on the list for San Mateo + Santa Maria so I knew the minute the loan application would open up. FYI the loan application opened up sometime early january, and 2 weeks later they had their grand opening (i did not officially register until like jan 28 or so but the important element for getting high on that list was getting pre-qualified.  so yes they did sell all 6 homes prior to the "public grand opening" I submitted in the first five minutes and I still wasn't the first person on that list.

The demand is that intense i suppose. ??? I dont know if you can walk in with a box of cash and get ahead of everyone but I sincerely doubt it.

Wow! In the first 5 minutes of the List Opening !!!!!!... Man, You are so proactive ... I registered 2 days before the Official Opening and thought have a good chance in the first 3 releases ...  Now i know that my chances are very slim in the whole 77 houses.

Is there a way to find out how many people before you in the list?

world chaos said:
was availability the only deciding factor between cambria and san mateo for u?  seems like from ur post that u were on the wait list and prequalified for both... would definitely be interesting to hear the opinion of an actual buyer on why choose an attached condo over a detached condo... or did u buy both with an intent of renting one out?

i was #100 or so back in november on san mateo, so i really didnt think i had a shot actually.  but IP really timed the release of these two well, so ill give them that. you do have to make a trade-off, they make it difficult for you to have a choice between both at the same time.  i hear this quote a lot on these forums "buy now or be forever priced out." - yea its a little bit of that. each phase seems to be going up $5K which is crazy. I liked the house, I've visited over 100-150 homes over a year-long search now throughout OC, I thought would be comfortable living in it so i went for it. the pricing was also pretty attractive for me so i could cut more of that interest expense.

the rental parity on these two communities doesnt work out .. so i wouldnt even think of it that way.

I did a lot of homework on the two communities, heres what i found..

SqFt diff
Cambria cut .5-1sq foot or so in a few of the rooms each side (the great room, the master bath, entrance hallway, and the master closet). my biggest concern was bedroom sizes, and those were equivalent. $/SQFT are about the same, slightly higher at SM.

Detached vs Attached
i thought about this a bit and i have lived in a few condos before. i never had any noise problem in newer condos. my primary concern with many condo designs was lack of sunlight due to no windows from people living around you 360degrees. cambria and SM are equal in lighting in that regard (for the most part).  the hoa does suck but after seeing the breakdown its ok.. not great tho.

Community Layout
I only looked at a handful of SM homes, but I noticed the lots are arranged very condensed to compensate for their detached nature. I prefer detached like anyone else, but it just felt equally stuffy comparable to an attached community. Also, many of the homes did not have a through street separating them where you could park in front of. I prefer the front door to face a parkable wider pass-through street rather than those garage-through only streets or whatever you call them.  I really wasnt sure what Phase 3 was going to look like, sounds like they have addressed this with bigger lots and driveways in Phase3/Plan3.  I could say I missed out but I read in another post that those lots are 695K??

I've seen the first section of Cambria (Phase1-14) full layout and its mostly through streets where you could potentially have parked right in front of your house. The downside that I later found out was that the whole community's streets are 'private streets' meaning you cannot actually park in front of your houses.  There are some visitor parking spots that I need to check out when they are built...  Their excuse was safety and that many SG residents broke many fire code regulations: the fact that many people stuff their garages like huge storage closets and park outside creating a cluster-f of cars.  Ultimately though, it wasnt a deal breaker for me. Maybe it will seem less crowded with less cars. I just hope it doesnt turn into one of those condo communities with no parking anywhere like that westpark gated condo area. You can park along crested bird and maybe Santa Clara next door.

Is there a way to find out how many people before you in the list?

they wouldnt tell me exactly, but they gave me a ballpark.  i have come to realize their # is inflated and maybe 1/4th of it are actual "committed" vs "interested" buyers.

Many of you hate on Cambria, but I saw and liked the models. If you're looking at Plan A at $525K, then San Mateo starts to get a lot more expensive. And when you start looking in the $500k-$600k range in Irvine, I've found Cambria's offerings to be better than most of what has been available recently.

I'm on the list... probably way down the list... but I imagine that most on the list won't buy because a) they'll buy something else instead, b) each release is probably going to be more expensive, c) they might not like the specific location or plan, etc. So who knows... maybe they'll call me someday. I'm not in a huge rush.

Question for folks that are on the waiting list...

Which plan(s) are you on list for? And why that plan?

Wondering what people's observations were on the different plans.

I am on the Cambria list for Plan 3 and Plan2. Now, even if they offer me Santa Maria, i will take it.  What percent of buyers will wait till IP offers them a house? Is it really worth waiting or drop off, compromise and buy a smaller house?

I submitted a offer in woodbury, but rejected for  conventional loan competitor. Is this a bubble or a real uptrend in housing? ..

LiefinIrvine said:
I am on the Cambria list for Plan 3 and Plan2. Now, even if they offer me Santa Maria, i will take it.  What percent of buyers will wait till IP offers them a house? Is it really worth waiting or drop off, compromise and buy a smaller house?

I submitted a offer in woodbury, but rejected for  conventional loan competitor. Is this a bubble or a real uptrend in housing? ..

Are you a FHA or VA loan??

Two of my buddies that listed their homes in Irvine said they had a majority of FHA and VA loans compared to the normal conventional loan and All Cash Offers. 

You don't have to answer... I'm just curious.

That's what I was thinking. I couldn't do the payments without 20 down. Actually, I could do the payments, but the prop tax man and hoa people would bury me.

BunkMoreland said:
That's what I was thinking. I couldn't do the payments without 20 down. Actually, I could do the payments, but the prop tax man and hoa people would bury me.

Let's not forget Mello Roos.

homer_simpson said:
LiefinIrvine said:
Yeah, FHA Loan. Not earning big to have 20 or 10,  Down :) :)

You have to be doing ok... since the payments are going to be larger  ;)

Not Exactly  :) :)

MIP adding up considerably  in the monthly mortgage payment component . Is there a way to get rid of Mortgage Insurance Premium before 5 years?

LiefinIrvine said:
homer_simpson said:
LiefinIrvine said:
Yeah, FHA Loan. Not earning big to have 20 or 10,  Down :) :)

You have to be doing ok... since the payments are going to be larger  ;)

Not Exactly  :) :)

MIP adding up considerably  in the monthly mortgage payment component . Is there a way to get rid of Mortgage Insurance Premium before 5 years?
Yes, by refinancing.  ;)

LiefinIrvine said:

We're in the same boat. We'll take any Cambria plan or plan 3 or at Santa Maria if we get the call, but fear that we're too far down the list.

More Santa Maria's is what they're going to be releasing next (the jeffrey ones).

More Cambria's are news to me, but I like the sound of it.

Noticed today cambria - model 3 is already selling at ~589k after jst  2-3 releases of these homes. At this pace pretty soon they 'll touch the 600's.

Wonder what IP plans to charge for the detached condos (San Mateo's III's) based on Cambria's success. Any word when IP is rolling them out?

How do these IP folks contact you, once you enter their waiting list, and how much time you have to decide on that House?

I heard they sold 3 Phases already. Those who are contracted with Cambria, please shed some light.

Back