Calorie Counting App

irvinehomeowner said:
Wait... I thought whoever eats the food with the highest calorie count (score) wins.

I tell ya what, my friend. Let's try it my way first. If it doesn't work out, we'll all give up and do it your way - switch from Fitness to Fatness Competition. The winner will receive a year's supply of Pizookies and Paxil. Deal?

Let's get started. You in or out?

I have mine written down too.  I'm not sure how much BMI we should aim for as everyone is different.  Got something in mind?  ;)

homer_simpson said:
Are we posting before and after pics too?  :p

Feel free to post yours. I think I'll pass for now so I don't blind anyone with my albino skin. Check back a year from now. If things are on the right path, I'll get an oompa loompa spray tan and do it. CZ, you do it, too.

irvinehomeowner said:
As I've said before... real men don't diet.

That's why Homer is in. :)

BOOM!

Sorry, I didn't realize you were dead-set against joining. I thought you were just making a funny.

Let me ask you a serious question. Do you every worry about your health being a self-described big person? Please don't take my question the wrong way as I don't mean to be hurtful. You are so cute and can pull off any weight. Just from a health perspective -- does it not motivate you to want to try? For me, I was in total denial.  I told myself a few extra pounds isn't going to hurt me because... well... I can get out of bed. Kidding!! I have higher standards than that. My cholesterol is good, my blood pressure is outstanding (no idea why. I'm not an athlete), my blood sugar is great. Everything seemed to be fine. However, when they did the scan for my gallbladder they noticed my liver is not great. It is slightly enlarged and I think there is some scarring. (Before anyone asks -- NO, it's not due to alcoholism.  :p Not a binge drinker here.) I have to try.... my doctor agrees. Otherwise, I am going to end up regretting it. It was the first tangible evidence I've had that thinner would be better for me. If you haven't had that moment yet, maybe it's easy to say everything is fine. I know you had knee surgery. Was any of that weight-related? Hip, knee, and ankle joint issues are common. Just thought maybe you would feel better but of course you are a smart person and I'm sure nothing I'm saying isn't something you've already considered long ago. If you change your mind, let me know. It won't be too late to join us.

Oh yeah... health concerns are a factor for me.

So while I don't "count calories" I am trying to avoid the "Kill Me Now" foods, eating smaller portions, trying not to eat in the evening and exercising more.

It just seems my body is determined to outfat me... just when I thought I was turning the tide the other way... it seems my body figured out a faster way to make me fatter... I'm walking more, playing ball more... yet my middle seems much bigger than it did 6 months ago... DOH!

How is everyone's diet going?

I have spent the day making my husband some Kiwi Lime Cookie Cups.

ry%3D400

They are sugar cookie cups rolled in crushed almonds with fluffy lime cream cheese filling, and of course topped with strawberry and kiwi slices.

None for me! I have 500 350  :'( calories left for dinner so I'm saving it for the Pepperoni Pizza Casserole I'm making him. A half-cup for me, please! I'm making it with ground turkey instead of ground beef to save on some calories.

I've been doing really well the last few days. My new phone runs the calorie app more quickly which is a HUGE help. I'm back in my old routine. I feel a little better and less bloated already. I LOVE counting calories. It's easy to get carried away if you're OCD like me. But it works great. You can eat anything... pick and choose your battles.

Clean day for me except a Coach's oatmeal cookie, and a planned Tiramisu tonight.
But tomorrow is my binge day. I rather not say what I ate ;-)

Have some black coffee right after. You should be fine..

So, tell me about your binge days. Do you eat whatever you want the entire day? It's possible to undo an entire week's worth of caloric savings in one day! Are you in maintenance mode?

Dinners are kind of hard for me to figure out. My husband hates "healthy food". He couldn't name or recognize some vegetables before I met him. Even the dessert above, he didn't request. Too dainty and girly for him to ask for. I'm sure he'd prefer my hot Apple Betty a'la mode or brownies - something of that nature. My solution has been to cook him his normal food with a side of vegetables. Then he has the main course with a small serving. I have the opposite. Large serving of vegetables with a garnish of whatever I made him. I'm serving more seafood, which is a good compromise. He doesn't mind. Last night I made a Grilled Seasoned Tilapia (taco seasoning / olive oil mixture brushed onto the fish) with Pineapple Salsa (pineapple chunks, red onion, lime, cilantro, salt) with Yukon Gold Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes & Gravy. I ate mostly fish, tiny bit of potatoes. He ate lots of potatoes and small mount of fish. Sometimes if there's no way to work around it, I cheat and have a packet of instant oatmeal for dinner before he gets home then just scoot the food around my plate when I sit down at the table with him, not really eating anything.

Today was ok for me.

2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites and 5 strawberries for breakfast.

6oz of ground turkey baked, side of steamed broccoli and carrots for lunch.

Protein bar 20g of protein for a snack.

20 pieces of non salted almonds for another snack.

6oz skinless chicken breast grilled and some steamed cauliflower.

Trying to keepy ratios like this for 4 weeks.

50% Protein 30% Carbs and 20% Fats.

Trying to stay around 2000 calories for a day with 30 minutes of cardio a day.

Hopefully I'll go from fat to fit in a few months :)

SoCal, binge days is more about giving body a sugar surge than eating more food/ carbs.
Counter brownie awaits! I gain 1-2 lbs morning after, but comes off by Monday/ Tuesday. More like down 2lbs, up 1lb. I can't be all clean :) this is working well. I tried Tim Ferris's slow carb diet for a week. Couldn't take it anymore, and didn't lose also.

Few things on my eating list:
Fage Total with Kashi Go Lean
Knudsen cottage cheese
Pure protein bars
Optimum nutrition protein shake
Fake chicken from TJs.
Organic eggs Norco Ranch. Tried the cheaper Nrco, sucks big time if you eat only whites.
Eating out is mostly at Native Foods, Counter, Buca, Islands on weekdays, weekends anything goes.
I made peanut butter-protein cookies at home..

Coming to numbers..
Body Fat 19.5%
BMI 23.7

Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal, binge days is more about giving body a sugar surge than eating more food/ carbs.

Oh yeah, I remember that's called "Carb Cycling". It does seem to help (me, anyway) break a plateau. Any excuse to eat a brownie is good with me! I buy them in mini packages so I don't go overboard.

irvinehomeowner said:
Oh yeah... health concerns are a factor for me.

So while I don't "count calories" I am trying to avoid the "Kill Me Now" foods, eating smaller portions, trying not to eat in the evening and exercising more.

It just seems my body is determined to outfat me... just when I thought I was turning the tide the other way... it seems my body figured out a faster way to make me fatter... I'm walking more, playing ball more... yet my middle seems much bigger than it did 6 months ago... DOH!

I totally understand where you're coming from. I would highly recommend just counting your calorie intake for 1 DAY. Eat normally, avoiding the widow-maker food, smaller portions, and everything else you usually would without "dieting". The goal here is simply to get a reading on your caloric intake. Before I started counting for the first time around age 30, I had NO IDEA how many calories I consumed in a day. I didn't fully understand what a calorie was or even how many were in a pound. Once I saw it in black and white, it put everything squarely into perspective. Here is an example: I thought an avocado would be a "good" thing to eat. Do you think I realized a medium avocado is approx. 250 calories? Nope! I would eat it without hesitation, thinking it was fine. A person would think something that grows on a tree can't make them fat, but it can.  I didn't know a banana would have half as many calories.

If I knew what your weight was, I would multiply that number by 10 to guess your caloric intake (and vice versa!). For ex: IHO weighs 280 lbs. 280x10 = 2,800 calories.

If you use this formula, it is a very handy way of calculating roughly how many calories you're eating a day OR what your weight would fall to if you restricted your calories. For ex: Eat 1,800 calories a day. Divide by 10. Weight = 180 lbs.

For myself, I have found this formula to be EXTREMELY ACCURATE. Don't believe me? Try it! Eat normally and add it up for 1 day.  :) Warning: You may be startled at the results!

Back