beach house - Naples

morekaos said:
eyephone said:
Maybe that place is nice area. But Long beach is not a safe city. Crime rate is high.
Live there and shop in the oc? (Is that the solution?) haha

That's what we do. 1% less in sales tax just over the bridge.  We go to Costco, fill gas and buy groceries in the OC.

But you cant shop in the city you live in? A complete joke.
Homeless people all around downtown. There are many gangs in LB.
I forgot to mention the trash on the sidewalks in parts of LB.

The reason to live in Naples is that it's close to OC-Seal Beach, so you get best of both worlds.
A little bit of risk and a little bit of security.

zubs said:
The reason to live in Naples is that it's close to OC-Seal Beach, so you get best of both worlds.
A little bit of risk and a little bit of security.

Oh believe me, there has been talk of seceding to the OC but LB will never let it happen because they love the tax base and parking ticket revenue.  Costco is actually closer in Los Al than the one in Signal Hill.  We are far enough from downtown but still close enough to venture if we want without endangering ones self.  There are some great restaurants and bars down there. 

eyephone said:
morekaos said:
eyephone said:
Maybe that place is nice area. But Long beach is not a safe city. Crime rate is high.
Live there and shop in the oc? (Is that the solution?) haha

That's what we do. 1% less in sales tax just over the bridge.  We go to Costco, fill gas and buy groceries in the OC.

But you cant shop in the city you live in? A complete joke.
Homeless people all around downtown. There are many gangs in LB.
I forgot to mention the trash on the sidewalks in parts of LB.

As I said...few understand the difference between West and East Long Beach.

I personally would rather live here than many of the $2m properties in Irvine. We used to live in Belmont Shore (about half a block from 2nd St) before Irvine, it was great for an earlier period of time back when we used to go to bars more often. The temperature is noticeably cooler than Irvine, also. The neighborhood is great for evening dog walks. The level of crime doesn't bother me, and I like the local flavor. This specific house is very close to the fun part of 2nd street, which is on balance a good thing but does have some parking-related drawbacks if you are having a house party.

I don't know if I would *buy* here though. Same reason I wouldn't buy in Balboa Island--I believe in climate change and flood risk (in the coming decades) is one of my concerns. Also, I don't like not being able to walk to the grocery store like I can in my current place in Irvine. If you don't mind driving, then it's true that Gelsons/TJ are an easy drive. Ultimately, probably the main driver of moving was for schools for a future family. My wife's boss tried to convince her of the value of St Anthony's (she worked downtown and loved being able to ride her bike along the beach path to work) but I don't really believe in private school cost-wise or philosophically.

Really does come down to personal preference. I don?t really believe in global warming but if our house sinks that?s probably my kids problem. For now this is living. My kids all went to private school and I feel we got our bang for the buck. We can walk to the grocery. Ralphs, Gelsons and Whole Foods are right over the bridge but Rite Aid is right on the island. Tons of great restaurants and bars, just had dinner at the Bungalow on second. Really enjoyed it. You gotta find your own corner and be happy.

USCTrojanCPA said:
zubs said:
Everyone I know....as they get richer, drift toward the coast.
The movement goes something like this.

Hemet -> Ontario -> Yorba Linda -> Irvine -> Corona Del Mar

The other day I talked to my neighbor who said he was thinking of selling his house to buy a place in CDM.
In your case, your good friend moved from a cheaper beach area to a more expensive beach area.

We are just lemmings shuffling towards the water.

His home is 2bd/1bath and around 1,000sf and fully renovated as of a few years ago with a direct access 2-car garage.  Yeah, him and his wife bought a 2,500sf home in Laguna Beach a few months ago.  If you want to get more info on the home just ping me as he'll have me sell it as he used his aunt to buy the Laguna Beach home.  I'm also considering looking at homes in Newport Beach, Newport Coast, and Corona Del Mar if I can't find my unicorn in Irvine.

Thanks for the offer, but there's only a small chance of me ever buying a coastal home.  I mainly started this post on TI to talk about real estate and get more engagement.  Saying that, I did visit this open house, and it was nice imagining owning that home.

It can be done Zubs.  I started out on IHB in the 90's and sold all my Real Estate in 2005.  My wife and family thought I was nuts.  In retrospect...not so much.  We rented in Irvine and then back in Naples till 2011 and bought a house that today I could not afford to buy.  Paid the lowest on that street since 2002 in 2011.  Now, that house is my kids problem but we get to live there till they drag our bodies out whenever.  Like comedy...it's all about.....timing.

This was a great thread.  I must have missed it when it was first active.

Last week I was at the LB Coin Show.  One of my friends is a professional coin dealer from out of state, so I usually pop in to say hi and hang out for a bit.  On my way home, Waze was taking me though some off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods between downtown LB and OC.  I must say, I'm constantly impressed by the quaintness of these coastal areas of Long Beach.

I posted this back in AUG 2021.
That house sold for 2.22 mill.

6 months of hindsight, and .....I should have sold all my stocks and collected that house.....LOL

I do a bike ride through Long Beach occasionally and the renovations they did on the beach are great.

LB is nice except for some disinformation guy that lives there. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I do a bike ride through Long Beach occasionally and the renovations they did on the beach are great.

Agreed but I don't think that shitposter is representative of the people in the area, thankfully.

HMart said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Agreed but I don't think that shitposter is representative of the people in the area, thankfully.

Ha ha, only the very close water area are protected. Couple of blocks away, your life is on the line.

Most of OC is in the 8-9% range for sales tax, with a couple cities over 10%, so not much of a savings.

Back