Backyard Landscape Plans and Recommendations

aquabliss said:
It all depends how it's done.  If you make a nice built in BBQ with a large bar and a congregating area (perhaps with TV), it can be a nice retreat and outdoor living area.

I took this pic at Baker Ranch I think, this would be a great entertaining space, and there are other examples of built in BBQ's well done at PP Melrose/Whistler/Springhouse.

ive been over to TD's house to watch some football and he has a kick ass backyard. not unlike this setup, except he has two TVs so we were watching two games at once.

The BAT said:
ive been over to TD's house to watch some football and he has a kick ass backyard. not unlike this setup, except he has two TVs so we were watching two games at once.

You went to Taye Diggs house?  Nice...

We got a quote for one of landscaper recommended here (will not divulge for now) ..  We were quoted $26K. you guys think its reasonable ?

total yard area = ~2500 sq ft, around 2/5 pavers, 1/5 synthetic grass, the rest are planting area.
Irrigation system (drip and sprinklers) on all planting areas.
Provision for water feature (we select and pay for the water feature we want, they will pickup if local and install).
No plants included (they will put garden soils on all planting area and will cover with gravel so we just need to dig the area we want to plant).
No other special features.

GH said:
We got a quote for one of landscaper recommended here (will not divulge for now) ..  We were quoted $26K. you guys think its reasonable ?

total yard area = ~2500 sq ft, around 2/5 pavers, 1/5 synthetic grass, the rest are planting area.
Provision for water feature (we select and pay for the water feature we want, they will pickup if local and install).
No plants included (they will put garden soils on all planting area and will cover with gravel so we just need to dig the area we want to plant).

Hard to say...only way to know is to get quotes from other landscapers.

GH said:

Sounds about right for what you're asking for. ~1000sqf pavers = ~$10k for mid-range. Synthetic grass is expensive upfront so maybe another ~$5k for that. Sprinkler system ~$1-2k (but gets market up a lot by contractors). Add in whatever other misc stuff goes along with the job and ~$20-25k seems like right ballpark.

GH said:

26K sounded a little high at first but once you do the math it may not be as bad as i thought (if you trust the homewyse number im about to to give you).  the pavers should be about 10K (1000 sq ft x $10/sq ft), the synthetic grass alone costs about $3-$5 sq ft just for the grass at home depot, so if you use $5, that is $2,500, the sprinklers is probably $1K at most. before the labor and other materials to install the fake grass you are at $13,500. homewyse.com has a synthetic grass install for 500 sq ft at 10-12K, if you used the 10K as the estimate for the grass (which sounds high to me), that would put you at 21K. all the aforementioned numbers include profit so 21K vs 26K may be a little high.

GH said:

No Plants included, that sound like the landscaper I'm using.

26k sound a little high with only 2/5 of area are covered by pavers.  However,  it depends on the type of paver and whether it has concrete sub base, these can affect the price a lot.

lnc said:
GH said:

No Plants included, that sound like the landscaper I'm using.

26k sound a little high with only 2/5 of area are covered by pavers.  However,  it depends on the type of paver and whether it has concrete sub base, these can affect the price a lot.

We were not yet sure what we want to plant and we currently also have several fruit trees currently in pot that we are planning to move in ground.  Thus the quote was without the plant, but he did mention that if we want to them to plant mature tree on a few spots to give it a headstart, they can also do it ..

Coast Craftsman is doing my neighbors house.  They came by to drop off their quote today which includes concrete, travertine in the CA room, turf lawn (portion of backyard), retaining wall, plants, low voltagelighting, and irrigation.  I'll see what the other guys come in with.  The good thing about them is that they work directly with my HOA (for PP residents) and take care of all the paperwork/approvals.  I haven't seen final work yet so just throwing their name into the hat if you need more quotes.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
jmoney74 said:
Coast Craftsman is doing my neighbors house.  They came by to drop off their quote today which includes concrete, travertine in the CA room, turf lawn (portion of backyard), retaining wall, plants, low voltagelighting, and irrigation.  I'll see what the other guys come in with.  The good thing about them is that they work directly with my HOA (for PP residents) and take care of all the paperwork/approvals.  I haven't seen final work yet so just throwing their name into the hat if you need more quotes.

Most of these companies should submit and work with the hoa for you. By the way, I've heard of a few denials already in PP. Apparently, they are very strict with the front yard. So you may not want to start work until you get your full approval from the HOA. Good luck!

Yes I heard they are strict for front yard.. but I'm in Roundtree (detached condo).  HOA owns the front landscape. 

I got fined another 400 last month. I guess I should get the plans in soon. The next fine is 800. Haven't paid the fines yet.

I'm going to sue the hoa for racial discrimination to see if the wave the fines

qwerty said:
I got fined another 400 last month. I guess I should get the plans in soon. The next fine is 800. Haven't paid the fines yet.

I'm going to sue the hoa for racial discrimination to see if the wave the fines

Just a thought - how hard is it to submit the plan? (unless you can't find it) ;)

Back